This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NC_Girl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What vet schools allow students to apply for in state residency after a year? I am looking for more vet schools to apply to and want to focus on those. Currently I plan on applying to NC State (my in state school) and Virginia-Maryland.

Members don't see this ad.

What vet schools allow students to apply for in state residency after a year? I am looking for more vet schools to apply to and want to focus on those. Currently I plan on applying to NC State (my in state school) and Virginia-Maryland.

Just making sure you know, but Va-Md doesn't let you switch your residency. You're locked in to what you apply as.

I know Ohio does allow it, however. And there are some other schools as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

UC Davis and Washington are others.

I know that Missouri consistently had 100% of their class get in state after the first year for those seeking to do so. I know NC-state has a very high rate as well. Not quite sure in the other schools that do so on their rates, but have heard they aren't great....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm at WSU and have a couple of classmates working on changing their residency right now. They said it's pretty straight forward and the school has been really helpful answering any questions they have to make sure they get it.

UC Davis, Ohio, Missouri, Washington, and NC State.

I will add that CSU locks you in to whatever tuition status you enter with, but if you're accepted to one of their dual degree programs (or a special program like Vet Prep) then they will let you reclassify to in state tuition before you start vet school.

I haven't heard of anyone not getting the in-state after the first year at Ohio State. You do have to jump through some hoops to do it but they tell you what you need to do during your 1st year to get in-state after that year.

I think there's an ongoing list on this thread. It's an old thread (started in 2009), but it's been updated and had discussion as recently as 2015. Hope this helps!