Out of the country vet schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As an aside, just an observation from my time on this board... I feel like the when the "rankings" gets brought up, it's usually a pre-vet trying to get into Cornell. It's rarely actual vet students or vets, and it always seems to be focussed around Cornell. Sometimes other schools, but usually Cornell. Anyone else notice this trend?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As an aside, just an observation from my time on this board... I feel like the when the "rankings" gets brought up, it's usually a pre-vet trying to get into Cornell. It's rarely actual vet students or vets, and it always seems to be focussed around Cornell. Sometimes other schools, but usually Cornell. Anyone else notice this trend?
it used to happen with CSU a lot, too

Members don't see this ad :)
I stand corrected. Though now that I think about it, I do remember one thread where someone got very upset that the "The" was being left off "The Ohio State".
I didn't mean to correct you. I have noticed it mostly with CSU and Cornell

Well CSU is pushing that they have one of the top rankings in their media feed. You can't blame a student who hopes to get into a school for thinking the rankings might be important if the school keeps pushing it in everyone's face. CSU in particular also tells students who don't get in "don't feel bad. We have been ranked in the top 3 in the country for so many years that it is more difficult to get in here." Then the poor student's pride hangs on the "fact" that they weren't rejected for anything they did. They were rejected because the school was ranked too awesome!

I have worked with professors from a few of the schools and the veterinary graduates of those schools and I have learned to be a bit cynical about the things schools take pride in. These are jokes but how I read pride points:

- We graduate more veterinarians that move into world politics than anywhere else! ---》So, their vets either feel more comfortable suckling up at parties than in clinical practice or are just looking for the closest job to staying in a frat house.

- We have some of the top researchers in the world! --》All our staff hide in their labs or offices (and occasionally tour), good luck getting face time!

-We have the busiest teaching hospital in the country! --》Somehow we squeezed all our competition out of the area and none of our graduates want to stay anywhere close to the school. We need more staff!

Like I said, take it lightly, but I'm sure you could even think of a humorous way to look at your school's brag point with at least a touch of truth buried in there.

Like I said, take it lightly, but I'm sure you could even think of a humorous way to look at your school's brag point with at least a touch of truth buried in there.
Most of my school's bragging amounts to "Hey look! We exist! Really, we're a thing! I know you can't find us on a map and we're on a little jerked off frozen island in the North Atlantic, but we're here!" :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Meanwhile, I'm just honored that I was accepted by two schools this year...

There are quite a few terrible students from the Caribbean schools.

There are also quite a few terrible students from state schools. Even the foo-foo fancy ones with all that academic funding.

You really thing a good student will do poorly in a Caribbean school, and a bad student will do well at Cornell (or wherever)?

I have some doubts as to how much influence the school really has on the outcome.

Reactions: 1 users
Niiiice discussions went on in here!

I used to take stock in vet school rankings (my mom thought I should attempt to get into Cornell undergrad because of their reputation/SVM ranking. I was not at all interested in trying for an ivy but wanted to go to CSU partly because they were always ranked at #2), but I got that bit of "Cornell or Caribbean" advice from TheExoticVet's blog on tumblr, and I've seen it echoed elsewhere on the web by other practicing vets as well.

I don't think they meant to suggest that "all schools are EQUAL" per se. There are obviously tons of factors that go into one's choice of school(s) and reasons for not applying indiscriminately--location and costs, different emphasis on particular areas/programs, etc...and I'm sure that in the case of Cornell and the like, you may indeed end up being viewed with a sort of prestige over others (warranted or not) just by the nature of those schools' reputations. Main point is, when it comes to the bottom line (your education) it's not really going to change...that you're not somehow going to end up a crappy poorly-educated vet by attending a state/Caribbean/international school, any more than attending a prestigious school guarantees you'll be "better educated/prepared," because they all meet the same standards curriculum. In THAT sense there is no "superior/top ranked/best school," though there will obviously be superiors among different aspects, programs and quality of facilities. Cornell is just one of the examples he used, :p to say that in the end a DVM degree is a DVM degree (assuming US accreditation) and there should be no inherent stigma against internationals on that basis.

And yeah, individual anecdotes of graduates from different schools being "better" could never be some kind of basis for this school being better than that one.

Just want to throw my two cents in: just because all of the AVMA schools meet a standard, does not mean that certain schools do not go above/beyond the basic standards.