*Outpatient* IM letter for FM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiths11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all -

I'll be applying to FM residency. I have 1 FM letter so far, and 1 letter from an IM doc whose outpatient clinic I rotated at. Though the rotation was pretty much FM, his letterhead obviously will say "board certified IM". He's going emphasize how I only worked in his clinic. My 3rd letter is going to be from an EM physician.

Will FM residencies appreciate this, aka, is it as good as my FM letter? Or will they look at it as they would towards any other letter - EM, Surgery, etc?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the same question.. I have a letter from a pediatrician that I am planning to use for FM.. Hope we get the answer :)

As long as there's one letter from an FM doc, you're good -- I used 1 letter from my general surgery attending, one from my IM hospitalist attending and 1 from the Associate PD of an FM residency that I rotated at as a student -- interestingly enough, I didn't even get invited to interview at his program -- the committee used failures as a rule out and I had failed a class in first year -- wasn't meant to be -- had about 10 interviews in state with 3-4 top programs and 1 program close to home that was supposedly turning DO friendly --- I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree, when I was reviewing applications for FM residency applicants to our program I didn't really care what type of doc it was from. Personal statements were far more important.