PhD/PsyD Outside Experience While on Internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Texas Psych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched to a good (but not great) APA accredited internship site. However, it does not provide all experiences I would have gotten at those ranked higher on my ROL. Does APA or APPIC prohibit one from gaining outside experience/supervision while on internship? I know it would be time consuming, but is it illegal?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not "illegal" nor against the rules, but discuss it with both your program training director and internship site director.

Also, I would suggest not getting ahead of yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched to a good (but not great) APA accredited internship site. However, it does not provide all experiences I would have gotten at those ranked higher on my ROL. Does APA or APPIC prohibit one from gaining outside experience/supervision while on internship? I know it would be time consuming, but is it illegal?
Possibly, though more likely your site will prohibit it. I would STRONGLY suggest talking to the site's DCT about this before doing anything.

Why do you have to do it now? You have, presumably, a good 30-40 years of career ahead of you.

I wouldn't do it, personally. This seems a bit strange to me. What exactly are you looking for that the site does not offer? You can always specialize during your post-doc, which is what most people do. Regardless of what the internship is, in most cases you have the opportunity to strengthen and build your foundational skills in therapy and assessment that will carry over into whatever you end up doing. It may be counterproductive to get outside supervision if it pulls away from the supervision experience that you are already getting as well.

The site I matched to didn't have any adolescent experiences so I was disappointed by that, but when I got there an opportunity arose within the program so it worked out. Also, other experiences that I didn't want or think about were available. Looking back at it now, probably the most important learning experience was probably personal/professional development and identity and learning how to collaborate effectively with other professionals which included going head to head with more senior people at times and I really didn't feel ready for that.

I'd talk to your training director and see if there are any opportunities within the site that you could add on. I don't think outside experience would be feasible.

Honestly, internship is supposed to be a generalist experience. By the time you apply for post-docs, you've barely had any internship experiences anyway.

Reactions: 1 user