Outside of bills, rent and food for dental school, what is your monthly play money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just nice to see what people are expecting to survive on during dental school. I'd have $300 of play money a month from the loans and feel like thats cutting a little close? Hows everyone else doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Just nice to see what people are expecting to survive on during dental school. I'd have $300 of play money a month from the loans and feel like thats cutting a little close? Hows everyone else doing?
You meant making it rain at the club? Ain't nobody got time to play.
Kidding aside, I'm worrying about buying airplane tickets (to me from PHX to Chicago is quite pricey) and I think there might be at least 2-3 trips per year. *sigh*

Reactions: 1 user
You meant making it rain at the club? Ain't nobody got time to play.
Kidding aside, I'm worrying about buying airplane tickets (to me from PHX to Chicago is quite pricey) and I think there might be at least 2-3 trips per year. *sigh*

Get an airline card. Even Chase Sapphire gives you $600 in airfare once you spend a certain amount for their opening bonus.

Members don't see this ad :)

I probably won't go over $100/month.

Last edited:
Thankfully I got the hpsp grant so that's like 2170 before tax. Assuming I get around 1950, after rent, utilities, food that's not ramen, I'm looking at around 750 a month left over. Considering I've been living on 2000 a semester, I'm getting myself an xbox and planning to travel when I have free time.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm at $400 a month, which also covers whatever gas I use, which fortunately isn't a lot as I walk to class. I have enough for lunch at the cafeteria when I'm in a hurry, dental supplies from the little dental school bodega thing, random stuff from Walmart (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah right, like I have time to grill on my new mini charcoal grill or sit in this patio furniture), and once a month or so I buy a top-shelf bottle of bourbon and pretend that my dignity hasn't been stolen from me.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm at $400 a month, which also covers whatever gas I use, which fortunately isn't a lot as I walk to class. I have enough for lunch at the cafeteria when I'm in a hurry, dental supplies from the little dental school bodega thing, random stuff from Walmart (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah right, like I have time to grill on my new mini charcoal grill or sit in this patio furniture), and once a month or so I buy a top-shelf bottle of bourbon and pretend that my dignity hasn't been stolen from me.

I love your name, General! *salutes*

About $10- I like to live dangerously.

Reactions: 4 users

Why is it that everything you post is gold?

My loans equal about 3k a month. When I take away rent and bills, I'm at about 400-500 a month left over. That goes to food. Plus because I'm a stress shopper, I buy whatever on my credit card which is at 0% APR for like the next forever, and slowly pay that off from my savings from the job I held before starting school. Savings are looking a little low these days, but whatever. YOLO.

Since my wife is working, and I have the HPSP, my play money every month could be up to $2000. However, I will likely continue living the way I do now and save some money every month to go on a nice vacation every year and maybe a few weekend vacations. I'm sure I will get a few massages throughout the year as well like @Incis0r mentioned above. That sounds like an awesome use of tax dollars!!

Reactions: 3 users