OUWB ($) vs Michigan ($$$)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michigan or OUWB?

• Michigan

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • OUWB w/full ride

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorshateher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point I've basically narrowed it down to OUWB (with a full ride) or Michigan, at full price. Here's my pro/con list so far:

OUWB:
Pros:
A LOT Less Debt (about 90K total)
Smaller Class Size
Cooperative Class

Cons:
New School = Less Reputation (esp out of state)
Location (further from home and SO than I would prefer, but only by ~30 minutes)

Michigan:
Pros:
Prestige

Cons:
A LOT of debt (about $220K total)
Big class size

I'm not looking to SDN to make my decision for me, but I find these types of threads always tend to bring up points and pros/cons that I hadn't otherwise considered. What would you do and why?

Members don't see this ad.

At this point I've basically narrowed it down to OUWB (with a full ride) or Michigan, at full price. Here's my pro/con list so far:

OUWB:
Pros:
A LOT Less Debt (about 90K total)
Smaller Class Size
Cooperative Class

Cons:
New School = Less Reputation (esp out of state)
Location (further from home and SO than I would prefer, but only by ~30 minutes)

Michigan:
Pros:
Prestige

Cons:
A LOT of debt (about $220K total)
Big class size

I'm not looking to SDN to make my decision for me, but I find these types of threads always tend to bring up points and pros/cons that I hadn't otherwise considered. What would you do and why?

This might be one of those rare cases where you should go with the more prestigious school. The difference in status between the two is quite large, and although I'm sure OUWB is a fine school, Michigan will probably offer way more opportunities post graduation to specialize, connections in departments across the country, etc.

Tough call but that's my opinion. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If this were between Michigan State or Wayne at sticker vs. OUWB free ride then I would jump on OUWB. But Michigan is a top 10 school that has tons of prestige, resources, research, etc. and is just too hard to pass up even at full price especially considering that OUWB is brand new and has no reputation amongst residency program directors (except their own, of course).

Take your talents to Ann Arbor, OP.

I'm a fellow OUWB accepted student and I personally was really impressed by the school even more so during Second Look so I can see where you might be coming from. That being said, the one thing that has held me back in my decision making process for OUWB vs. my other accepted schools is feeling like I would have to have even greater Step scores or over impress during 4th year rotations as an OUWB student in order to prove my worth to residency directors outside of Beaumont. If you're 100% committed to staying in Michigan and would have zero regrets going to Beaumont for residency (which is a great hospital system in its own right), then I'd think about picking OUWB. But if you want to keep your options open nationwide, then it's a no brainer to go to Michigan.

I'm usually all for going where the money is but this is definitely the exception. Michigan is going to open way more doors for you and keep your options wide open. The difference is just way too wide...a newly (preliminary) accredited medical school vs one of the top schools in the country.

Cooperative class and small class size are cute features, but they aren't strong enough factors to make up for the gap between UMich and OUWB. UMich = better school, better hospital, better location. These comments are strictly just my opinion to help ease the decision for the OP.

I'm in a very similar situation as you and to be honest I'm not sure what you should do. Obviously, Michigan is a great school but you have a pretty significant debt difference. I would not really worry much about OUWB's accreditation situation as some other posters have mentioned because they are affiliated with a health system that has ALREADY been training medical students (Wayne State students). I guess what I'm trying to say is that OUWB won't have the issues that many other new medical schools have when developing an infrastructure for clinical education.

That being said, this is really about personal choice. If academic medicine is your thing, then it seems like Michigan is the obvious choice. Also, since money is an issue (as it is for most students) it might be helpful to just compare repayment costs down the road. I found this link to be pretty helpful: https://services.aamc.org/30/first/home/organizer

Regardless, you have two great options and you can't go wrong either way. Good luck!

Congrats on your two options! Regardless of which school you choose, you'll be successful in medicine.

As an OUWB student and a Michigan graduate, I am obviously partial to my current school but I also loved Ann Arbor and had a wonderful experience in the University Hospital system. This being said... OUWB doesn't have the same kind of research connections that Michigan does at this point in time. When making your decision, really think about what you're interested in doing in medicine. For example, do you want to make an impact on the community [OUWB] or do you want to conduct cutting edge biomedical research [UMich]?

In the end, both schools will get you exactly where you want to be, but the opportunities available at each school are distinctive. The culture is different. And obviously in your case, the $$$ is different. Make your decision based on a lot of logic and a bit of your gut feeling -- you won't go wrong.

Let me know if you ever want to chat over the phone about your decision and good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.