OUWB vs Wright State Boonshoft

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which medical school would you choose?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thestrokes14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like my decision is going to boil down to these two schools (a decision that probably very few people, if any, have ever made :)) I am honestly flip-flopping which one I would prefer, so I was hoping others would offer their opinions.

Oakland University William Beaumont SOM:

Pros:

-Small class size (75)
-great clinical experience at Beaumont
-less of an emphasis on primary care (I prefer to specialize, but am very open to internal medicine)
-A Capstone project in their curriculum with the potential to do research all four years (more competitive for residencies)
-Slightly prefer the greater Detroit area compared to Dayton, OH.
-Cost of living is cheap.

Cons:

-High tuition (it's private)
-It is brand new, so I have no idea what to expect come match day.
-Not a huge fan of the campus/libraries (where the classes are located)

Wright State Boonshoft SOM:

Pros:

-Small class size (100 or so)
-Low costs of living and tuition (In state for me)
-Love the facilities where the classes are located and the study space
-Wright State is more established, and I am comfortable with their match list
-Class isn't mandatory, I believe, and block scheduling is pretty appealing

Cons:

-Depending on how you look at it (good or bad), the community based hospitals are a bit scattered, so the clinical experience isn't exactly centralized.
-Heavy primary care school, which isn't a bad thing, but I hope it won't inhibit my ability to specialize
-I find that most of the student body are not only Ohio residents, but students who attended UG school in Ohio. I get the impression that it might limit the diversity of the student body, but I am unsure how true or important this observation really is.

I personally see myself succeeding at either place. I enjoyed my experience at both schools' interview. What would you do if you were in my position?

Members don't see this ad.

Boonshoft.

Lower tuition, 48k less for 4 years total (~80k after interest).
Establishment.
Oakland requires class attendance.
Primary care emphasis doesn't matter.

Boonshoft.

Lower tuition, 48k less for 4 years total (~80k after interest).
Establishment.
Oakland requires class attendance.
Primary care emphasis doesn't matter.

^That.

I'm obviously biased, and I can't really comment on OUWB SOM (actually never heard of it), but I really don't feel the primary care push here at all....I wouldn't factor that in to your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually like Oakland, but the 8-5 class I think is the biggest downfall. Compare that to Wright which may have a better lifestyle during med school. My vote though is Wright (for you)...its alot cheaper.

Mandatory lectures, especially 8-5 would be AWFUL. Don't do that to yourself, you will regret it. The tuition difference is also huge, so this is a no brainer...

Boonshoft

ps Dayton >> Detroit

IS tuition at Wright, plus the fact that your cons for it don't seem to be huge issues. You'll figure out transportation, and just because a school has a primary care focus doesn't mean you're limited to that.

Thanks for all the responses. It seems like the general consensus is to choose Wright State. The thing is, I had a great experience at OUWB and I honestly think that the school is more student centered than Wright State. I also think the clinical experience at Beaumont will be better than at Wright State, and with more connections, better residency possibilities. Beaumont is a nationally ranked hospital, after all.

Assuming I get a scholarship at OUWB that compares to Wright State tuition, would I be crazy to choose OUWB over Wright? The only serious downside is the insane amount of class time, but I have to say that my main priority in choosing a medical school is giving myself the best opportunities for residency (or at least not limiting my possibilities). Like I said before, I really liked both schools and would be happy at either. It's just so difficult to choose between them!

I can only vouch for OUWB since I've interviewed there and not at Wright State. I was a little hesitant about OUWB since it is a brand new school and I was nervous about the lack of name recognition when it comes to applying to residencies, but I'm confident that the clinical program they've designed will allow you to develop great relationships with the physicians there (aka awesome letters of rec for residency). Upon your mentioning of the high tuition at OUWB, I can say that from my conversations with the M1s at OUWB, a good portion of the students did receive scholarships. Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the responses. It seems like the general consensus is to choose Wright State. The thing is, I had a great experience at OUWB and I honestly think that the school is more student centered than Wright State. I also think the clinical experience at Beaumont will be better than at Wright State, and with more connections, better residency possibilities. Beaumont is a nationally ranked hospital, after all.

Assuming I get a scholarship at OUWB that compares to Wright State tuition, would I be crazy to choose OUWB over Wright? The only serious downside is the insane amount of class time, but I have to say that my main priority in choosing a medical school is giving myself the best opportunities for residency (or at least not limiting my possibilities). Like I said before, I really liked both schools and would be happy at either. It's just so difficult to choose between them!

From my experience, I don't see how a school could be more "student centered" than wright state. I didn't interview at OUWB, but I did at all the Ohio schools and the students at WSU were obviously unique. They don't have as high gpas or mcats as OSU, cinci or case, but wright state is known for not even offering interviews to "high stat" people, as they are looking for a specific type of student. As far as clinical experience goes, WSU has like 6 affiliate hospitals (a lot of schools have many regional hospitals i.e. OSU has riverside, grant etc.), but I assume you are referring to the lack of an academic centered hospital. This, in my opinon, may be a blessing in disguise, as you get experience with different settings, trauma levels, patients, staff. This may prepare you better for the real world. Miami Valley is also "nationally ranked", whatever exactly that means. It is trauma level 1 that serves the greater Dayton area. Dayton is also a well known, respected area with a rich history. I mean come on, the first round of the ncaa tourney is being held there :cool:. If you are mainly interested in residency potential, then look at the past placements for wright state.

As my first post on SDN, I just want to congratulate you on your acceptance to both schools! I think it's important to first realize how lucky you are.

Secondly, I think it's important to note that asking this type of tough question will probably lead to bias towards Wright State considering how new OUWB is. I don't really have a suggestion for where you should go...it seems that cost is a concern to you so that is something obviously nobody can make a decision for you there.

But, with regards to your other concerns I really think you are overplaying the whole "match list" paranoia. Beaumont is an established teaching hospital which has been teaching medical students and residents for decades. Residencies have seen the Beaumont name around plenty - I am sure of this, especially considering that it was used as a teaching hospital for the other multiple medical schools in Michigan. So that leaves the "new" part - the "OU" of OUWB. Look, in the end - it is mostly you as an individual, your relationships with mentors in your 3rd and 4th years, and your board scores that determine where you end up. I think it is a widely overplayed concern, CONSIDERING the establishment of Beaumont, that someone with good board scores would not be accepted to X residency simply because OUWB is a new school. It's an LCME accredited MD institution on American soil...kids from Carribean medical schools (again, congrats to them to for their accomplishments) get into residences all the time. Just a thought for you to consider... I do think if you think a school is an amazing place and trust the leadership that a concern about a hypothetical is not being fair to yourself.

When I compare your pros and cons list there are multiple things that pros about both - with 1. the area, 2. more emphasis on specialties you like at Beaumont, 3. the Capstone opportunity favoring OUWB and 1. the non-mandatory classes and 2. the facilities favoring Wright State.

I have not made a decision yet for myself but considering the list you gave, I'd probably choose OUWB. The facilities were not bad at all. I'd even describe them as good...they have a state-of-the-art Anatomy lab being built right now. The gym is the nicest I've seen at any University campus besides Boston University. But, of course, this is your preference. I would concede that the class thing is a legit point for Wright State if you are that turned off by OUWB. But, with that said, I would probably suggest you do choose Wright State if you care about that a lot. Because OUWB is trying to maintain and build a very family atmosphere with their class that focuses on a lot of team-based learning. The cliche that medical school is about a right fit (or a Wright fit ;)) is definitely true.

Good luck with your decision!

Please note that I am not going to make any comments about OUWB. I do not know much about the school. I just wanted to hit on a few thing about Wright State the OP has listed.

Depending on how you look at it (good or bad), the community based hospitals are a bit scattered, so the clinical experience isn't exactly centralized.

I am not really sure what the major concern is here. It is very common for most schools to have rotations in more than one hospital. Even at schools with their own university hospital the use of affiliated hospitals is pretty common. From the way you worded this 'con' it seems like you may be concerned about the organization of the clinical rotations. I can't say to much about the clinical sites and what goes on there (I haven't started my clinicals yet) but from the 3rd/4th year students I have met they do not seem to have any complaints about the organization of their rotations.

Heavy primary care school, which isn't a bad thing, but I hope it won't inhibit my ability to specialize

It won't. There are several members of our upper administration who would be a little frustrated to see this as one of your cons. Our schools had been dealing with this misinformed persona for a long time. With that said, from my experience with the curriculum there is absolutely no emphasis on primary care let alone a heavy emphasis. Our classes are not tailored towards students who wish to pursue a primary care specialty in any way. Please do not let this concern you.

I find that most of the student body are not only Ohio residents, but students who attended UG school in Ohio. I get the impression that it might limit the diversity of the student body, but I am unsure how true or important this observation really is.

This was actually something I worried about before I decided to go to Wright State. There are many students who go to Wright State who are from Ohio or who went to an Ohio undergrad. It may seem like a big deal now but once you start school I think you will realize that it is not much of a concern. I have previously posted that Wright State does a great job at choosing its student population and I whole heartily agree with that. I really enjoy being around my classmates. Plus ~25% of our class are OOS students. So there is still a population of our class that come from somewhere outside of Ohio.

But, with regards to your other concerns I really think you are overplaying the whole "match list" paranoia. Beaumont is an established teaching hospital which has been teaching medical students and residents for decades. Residencies have seen the Beaumont name around plenty - I am sure of this, especially considering that it was used as a teaching hospital for the other multiple medical schools in Michigan. So that leaves the "new" part - the "OU" of OUWB. Look, in the end - it is mostly you as an individual, your relationships with mentors in your 3rd and 4th years, and your board scores that determine where you end up. I think it is a widely overplayed concern, CONSIDERING the establishment of Beaumont, that someone with good board scores would not be accepted to X residency simply because OUWB is a new school. It's an LCME accredited MD institution on American soil...kids from Carribean medical schools (again, congrats to them to for their accomplishments) get into residences all the time. Just a thought for you to consider... I do think if you think a school is an amazing place and trust the leadership that a concern about a hypothetical is not being fair to yourself

You should focus on the bolded portion of this post here. Reputation of a medical school DOES matter when it comes to residency applications. But the difference between the reputations of OUWB and Wright State is not enough to matter at this point. You will never REALLY know which school is going to 'set you up' better for a competitive specialty. I think if you let that be a factor in your school selection it is going to lead you in the wrong direction.

They main reason I am posting this is not to convince you to come to Wright State. It is to make sure that when people look back on this thread they will get a more rounded view of Wright State. Unfortunately, I think Wright State gets a pretty bad rep (i.e. misinformed reputation) on these forums.

I think the only valid argument you have for choosing OUWB is what I have in bold. I get the feeling that you just felt like OUWB was a better fit than Wright State. That is a huge deal. I just think the decision you have left to make is the one between going with your 'gut' feeling about OUWB and the amount of money you are going to save by going to Wright State. For most of the people who voted in the pole it would seem that $ is the more important factor. But when it comes down to it you need to be the one to make that decision. Good luck bud!

Thanks for the detailed response MattyBee. I like many aspects of both programs. I wouldn't consider the cons that I listed of either school to be all that significant. In fact, I agree with what someone mentioned earlier about the affiliated hospitals of Wright State being a possible blessing in disguise. And after heading to the Second Look day at OUWB, I actually really enjoyed the campus and the facilities much more so than I remembered in the past.

I guess I will be waiting for the financial packages in April, while continuing to mull over which school might be a better fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the detailed response MattyBee. I like many aspects of both programs. I wouldn't consider the cons that I listed of either school to be all that significant. In fact, I agree with what someone mentioned earlier about the affiliated hospitals of Wright State being a possible blessing in disguise. And after heading to the Second Look day at OUWB, I actually really enjoyed the campus and the facilities much more so than I remembered in the past.

I guess I will be waiting for the financial packages in April, while continuing to mull over which school might be a better fit.

See from my perspective it seems like you have already made up your mind about this. At this point it seem like all you have left to do is to decide if attending that school is worth the money.

My intention isn't to reinvigorate this debate, but rather do point out something that has sort of caught my attention as I continue to mull over which school I would prefer.

Apparently the MSAR data has been released and when comparing OUWB with Wright State, there is actually a bit of a difference in median stats for both schools.

OUWB has a median MCAT of 32 ; Wright State was 29. GPAs were similar with a slight edge to OUWB.

I am NOT basing my decision on statistics or test scores or anything like that, but these numbers kind of jump out at me. Why is OUWB, a brand new medical school, able to attract students with higher test scores? Does this change anyone's thoughts about OUWB?

I have been leaning towards Wright State, primarily because I find both programs to be very similar and appealing, but Wright State ends up being cheaper (I think). I am still waiting on potential scholarship information from OUWB. But with these statistics, it kind of levels the playing field again...

My intention isn't to reinvigorate this debate, but rather do point out something that has sort of caught my attention as I continue to mull over which school I would prefer.

Apparently the MSAR data has been released and when comparing OUWB with Wright State, there is actually a bit of a difference in median stats for both schools.

OUWB has a median MCAT of 32 ; Wright State was 29. GPAs were similar with a slight edge to OUWB.

I am NOT basing my decision on statistics or test scores or anything like that, but these numbers kind of jump out at me. Why is OUWB, a brand new medical school, able to attract students with higher test scores? Does this change anyone's thoughts about OUWB?

I have been leaning towards Wright State, primarily because I find both programs to be very similar and appealing, but Wright State ends up being cheaper (I think). I am still waiting on potential scholarship information from OUWB. But with these statistics, it kind of levels the playing field again...

Because OUWB interviews from a nation-wide pool of applicants. Schools that interview primarily IS-only tend to have lower stats by the nature of it, and Wright state is very IS selective. I wouldn't read into it much, that stuff is meaningless post-acceptance.

Because OUWB interviews from a nation-wide pool of applicants. Schools that interview primarily IS-only tend to have lower stats by the nature of it, and Wright state is very IS selective. I wouldn't read into it much, that stuff is meaningless post-acceptance.

That's a good point. I am not going to read into it much, you're right.

Class is not mandatory at OUWB. There are mandatory TBL sessions and that kind of stuff, but you do not have to attend every single lecture.

If you're not basing your decision on stats there's really no reason that these numbers should jump out at you or level the playing field whatsoever. Obviously these numbers do mean something to you. In my opinion, going to a school that has an average MCAT of 32 is not going to give you any sort of edge over a school that's got a 29. However, it really seems like you've got your mind made up here just from the way you lay out your thinking process. If you really feel like OUWB was a better "fit" for you, you should just go there if you can afford the difference in cost.

It looks like my decision is going to boil down to these two schools (a decision that probably very few people, if any, have ever made :)) I am honestly flip-flopping which one I would prefer, so I was hoping others would offer their opinions.

Oakland University William Beaumont SOM:

Pros:

-Small class size (75)
-great clinical experience at Beaumont
-less of an emphasis on primary care (I prefer to specialize, but am very open to internal medicine)
-A Capstone project in their curriculum with the potential to do research all four years (more competitive for residencies)
-Slightly prefer the greater Detroit area compared to Dayton, OH.
-Cost of living is cheap.

Cons:

-High tuition (it's private)
-It is brand new, so I have no idea what to expect come match day.
-Not a huge fan of the campus/libraries (where the classes are located)

Wright State Boonshoft SOM:

Pros:

-Small class size (100 or so)
-Low costs of living and tuition (In state for me)
-Love the facilities where the classes are located and the study space
-Wright State is more established, and I am comfortable with their match list
-Class isn't mandatory, I believe, and block scheduling is pretty appealing

Cons:

-Depending on how you look at it (good or bad), the community based hospitals are a bit scattered, so the clinical experience isn't exactly centralized.
-Heavy primary care school, which isn't a bad thing, but I hope it won't inhibit my ability to specialize
-I find that most of the student body are not only Ohio residents, but students who attended UG school in Ohio. I get the impression that it might limit the diversity of the student body, but I am unsure how true or important this observation really is.

I personally see myself succeeding at either place. I enjoyed my experience at both schools' interview. What would you do if you were in my position?

Wright > Oakland.

Oakland is still a gamble at this point. The capstone project is total crap IMO - You can do meaningful research on your own (and do more than 1 different project in a variety of fields if you are proactive). I don't really see a super small class size as a benefit. Specializing depends largely on you, so either school can get you there if you do the work. The wright state primary care focus is a fallacy is you really look into it.

I felt that the only thing that stunk about wright state was the scattered hospitals, but oakland doesn't have a hospital on campus either.

Wright > Oakland.

Oakland is still a gamble at this point. The capstone project is total crap IMO - You can do meaningful research on your own (and do more than 1 different project in a variety of fields if you are proactive). I don't really see a super small class size as a benefit. Specializing depends largely on you, so either school can get you there if you do the work. The wright state primary care focus is a fallacy is you really look into it.

I felt that the only thing that stunk about wright state was the scattered hospitals, but oakland doesn't have a hospital on campus either.

Yeah, I am starting to realize that Wright State is not pushing primary care as much as others think. I have crossed that off my con list a while ago.

And just to address what doit said, I love Wright State. I really do. The people (most importantly), but I like the community service, TBL, and block scheduling aspects of the curriculum a lot. When I interviewed with a medical student, I really connected with him. I knew after my interview that I wanted to go there. I honestly pictured myself there, and it seemed like a great fit. But then again, you need to realize that OUWB is doing something kind of special up there in Michigan. Seriously, everyone seems to be impressed with the school, and I am sure if you went to Wright State, you would like OUWB as well. It's a tough decision...that's all I'm saying (over and over again :))

The capstone project is total crap IMO - You can do meaningful research on your own (and do more than 1 different project in a variety of fields if you are proactive).

Lol key word here is "IMO" - plenty of schools offer research requirements. Doesn't Yale require a thesis or something? And what about the Capstone project is not "on your own." From my understanding it is an individually based thing...just they seem to be giving lots of support to you and avenues to do research in an area of your choosing.

I actually think OUWB's Capstone Project is the opposite of total crap....during Second Look, they were touting the Capstone Project as being beneficial for helping you get a better residency and I agree. While I do think that certain projects that they were suggesting might be total crap, if you say did clinical research for 4 years with a Beaumont doc and came up with a huge paper and/or built an amazing relationship that could land you an extra huge rec letter or the doc you work with has connections in their field, it could give you a big leg up. I do think they're putting together something special as well and just talking to other students at Second Look and hearing some of the schools they're considering turning down to come OUWB speaks volumes on how far the school has come in such a short period of time.

That being said, I'm making the decision between OUWB and other schools myself and the newness factor really is something that I'm struggling to get over. That and the fact that I want to keep my residency options open nationwide and I almost feel like no one outside Michigan knows OUWB sort of is a little alarming to me.

I actually think OUWB's Capstone Project is the opposite of total crap....during Second Look, they were touting the Capstone Project as being beneficial for helping you get a better residency and I agree. While I do think that certain projects that they were suggesting might be total crap, if you say did clinical research for 4 years with a Beaumont doc and came up with a huge paper and/or built an amazing relationship that could land you an extra huge rec letter or the doc you work with has connections in their field, it could give you a big leg up. I do think they're putting together something special as well and just talking to other students at Second Look and hearing some of the schools they're considering turning down to come OUWB speaks volumes on how far the school has come in such a short period of time.

That being said, I'm making the decision between OUWB and other schools myself and the newness factor really is something that I'm struggling to get over. That and the fact that I want to keep my residency options open nationwide and I almost feel like no one outside Michigan knows OUWB sort of is a little alarming to me.

The capstone doesn't have to be research. They seemed extremely lenient on the topics of interest and there is dedicated time to work on the capstone with checkpoints along the way. It does seem forceful, but it seems as though OUWB students enjoy going the extra mile and many schools are adopting a capstone project or something of the sort integrated into the curriculum. That being said, OUWB has some red flags and concerns, but so does every new med school.

The capstone doesn't have to be research. They seemed extremely lenient on the topics of interest and there is dedicated time to work on the capstone with checkpoints along the way. It does seem forceful, but it seems as though OUWB students enjoy going the extra mile and many schools are adopting a capstone project or something of the sort integrated into the curriculum. That being said, OUWB has some red flags and concerns, but so does every new med school.

What do you mean by doesn't have to be research if you don't mind me asking? Do you mean "not lab research"?

Also what are these "red flags and concerns" you speak of? I have not found many... they seem to be doing an incredibly large number of things not only correctly, but exceptionally.

Normally I'd read every single post in the thread and make sure there isn't any obvious mis-information, but seeing that we have 6 exams coming up...

OP, if you have any questions at all about OUWB, please feel free to PM me and a setup a phone conversation. I do recognize there are cons to our school but there have been a number of incorrect statements circulating around SDN. Plus, in the end it's about what makes you happy -- I only like to provide specific information about my experience with the school.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.