Over 50 international students without internship spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sinkhole

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted before, but it is said that over 50 international students missed out on getting an internship offer in Australia in 2010....

I used to think that even though the risk of not getting an internship spot is always there, eventually all students managed to get a spot...I realized just now that students graduating without internship has already become reality....

source:http://www.mumus.org/downloads/20100923%20Internship%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

I've been planning on studying in Oz and this news definitely came as a shock to me....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What that article doesn't tell us is what states those 50 med students were in. Certain states are better in terms of getting internships (SA, ACT), while others are worse (NSW, Queensland).

None of this is new info, but without knowing what states the students were in, we can't really make a judgement. I was actually told by adcoms that all students (including internationals) who wanted internships in SA and ACT for 2012 got them. So as international you should pick what state you go to medical school carefully, especially if you want to stay for an internship. If you don't believe me about the adcoms, I suggest you ask them yourselves if possible.

Again, none of this is new info but I thought I would post it since the article is vague and from last year (apparently the intern tsunami was suppose to hit this year)

Thank you so much for the info:)

What I'm worrying about is that the article mentioned that the numbers (without internship) are only going to increase and by the time I graduate (if I get admitted) I would be in deep water even if I'm in SA. Of course I hope things would change in the future and the number of spots will be increased, however I doubt if things are going to change in a fast enough rate....Anyways how things will develop is an unknown. If I'm offered a place I think I would still go for it....

Again, none of this is new info but I thought I would post it since the article is vague and from last year (apparently the intern tsunami was suppose to hit this year)

The numbers of graduates have been increasing significantly for about 5 years now, so I'm not sure how people are defining one year as the 'hit' of the tsunami -- certainly it won't be the peak this year, either.

Sinkhole - yes, all states will eventually be affected as spillover flows from those first hit. However, virtually all predictions about internship shortages have proven premature (going back to 2003 at least -- see the doomsday threads every single year on SDN and ValueMD). In other words, while you could be screwed in any state by the time you graduate, playing the odds would still mean going to one of the last-affected states for best chances of staying. Or, go to a state/school where you might be able to get PR while a student and then be put into highest priority.

I was actually told by adcoms that all students (including internationals) who wanted internships in SA and ACT for 2012 got them.

Ditto. When I did my Flinders interview Dr. Edwards mentioned that and I spoke with two Flinders grads from the most recent class that confirmed that they did not know of any internationals in their year that did not get an internship spot in SA. That was a big reason I chose Flinders actually.

Sure I want to come back to Canada at some point (although that may change after four years in another country, establishing roots, etc.) but in the event that wasn't possible or I did choose to stay I wanted to maximize my chances.

This is all conjecture of course, I have no idea what will happen in 2016 when I do graduate but as Pitman said, the Tsunami has been over exaggerated (even Dr. Edwards stressed that) so I'm banking on that trend continuing till I'm done :)

The numbers of graduates have been increasing significantly for about 5 years now, so I'm not sure how people are defining one year as the 'hit' of the tsunami -- certainly it won't be the peak this year, either.

Sinkhole - yes, all states will eventually be affected as spillover flows from those first hit. However, virtually all predictions about internship shortages have proven premature (going back to 2003 at least -- see the doomsday threads every single year on SDN and ValueMD). In other words, while you could be screwed in any state by the time you graduate, playing the odds would still mean going to one of the last-affected states for best chances of staying. Or, go to a state/school where you might be able to get PR while a student and then be put into highest priority.

Pitman thank you for the insight :)

I would be interested to get PR while in med school but I heard in order to apply one needs to be in certain career fields (and sponsored by the employer)...isn't it nearly impossible to obtain PR while studying med ? :confused:

I'm unlikely to get married during med school either, at least not fast enough (in order to obtain PR in time one needs to get married by year 2?)...

I'm Canadian and perhaps I'll have to go home competing for internship but I do wanna stay in Oz.....I guess all I can do is to pray that those shortages predictions would turn out to be over exaggerated....

Last edited:
Ditto. When I did my Flinders interview Dr. Edwards mentioned that and I spoke with two Flinders grads from the most recent class that confirmed that they did not know of any internationals in their year that did not get an internship spot in SA. That was a big reason I chose Flinders actually.

Sure I want to come back to Canada at some point (although that may change after four years in another country, establishing roots, etc.) but in the event that wasn't possible or I did choose to stay I wanted to maximize my chances.

This is all conjecture of course, I have no idea what will happen in 2016 when I do graduate but as Pitman said, the Tsunami has been over exaggerated (even Dr. Edwards stressed that) so I'm banking on that trend continuing till I'm done :)

Thank you for the info:)

I'm also Canadian :hello:

I would be interested to get PR while in med school but I heard in order to apply one needs to be in certain career fields (and sponsored by the employer)...isn't it nearly impossible to obtain PR while studying med ? :confused:

Labor has made it more difficult to get PR without employer sponsorship, but there are still ways (other than getting married asap):

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-inside.htm

At UQ in the not-too-distant past, students occasionally applied for (and got) PR using their previous degree while med students, but I'm also fairly certain what they were doing was illegal (they would work part time in their field, which is fine, but then mysteriously go outside of Brisbane to apply for PR, which I can't imagine being necessary unless the aim was to somehow get away with hiding their student status)... but there was a review of immigration under Rudd which may have tied up such loose ends in the system.

At any rate, you should assume you won't get PR before graduating if you don't have sponsoring relatives or the ability to work in the bush for a few years as per above. Unless you can find a dependent personality to wed early on.

Last edited:
Labor has made it more difficult to get PR without employer sponsorship, but there are still ways (other than getting married asap):

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-inside.htm

At UQ in the not-too-distant past, students occasionally applied for (and got) PR using their previous degree while med students, but I'm also fairly certain what they were doing was illegal (they would work part time in their field, which is fine, but then mysteriously go outside of Brisbane to apply for PR, which I can't imagine being necessary unless the aim was to somehow get away with hiding their student status)... but there was a review of immigration under Rudd which may have tied up such loose ends in the system.

At any rate, you should assume you won't get PR before graduating if you don't have sponsoring relatives or the ability to work in the bush for a few years as per above. Unless you can find a dependent personality to wed early on.

Thank you so much for the link and for explaining:)

I was actually thinking about going to UQ (although it has become kind of risky now due to the shortage....)

Is it that hard to get PR?

Student --> internship --> PR --> residency was what I heard,
but is there a gap year in between getting PR? I thought you could apply and get it at the end of your internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
What makes you think um2011 hasn't read any of this thread?

@Pitman I didn't mean to be sarcastic, I just liked to find out if there was something else that um2011 knows which has not been mentioned before. I am an international applicant, but would like to stay after graduation if given a choice.

I used the search function and found a few threads on the topic, but would like to hear more views on internships if anyone care to share. The deadline attached to my offer letter is looming..

Last edited:
There is a huge oversupply of medical students now as the goverment pushed through places without upping intern numbers and because of that last year alone 56 international students missed out on an internship spot (places are given to local graduates first) therefore unable to become accredited and had to find other ways.

This came from reading another thread but a question popped into my head: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=861793

I was wondering what happens to these 56 internationals if they want to stay in Australia instead of returning to their countries? Can they wait it out? Volunteer to work for free for internship year?

I am kinda confused right now; will the internship shortage be adequately addressed by the time we graduate in 2015? I have made prior enquires with my accepted school and they have indicated that the state medical board will ensure that there will be sufficient internships for every international who wants a spot.

But then I read that in the above thread that the medical schools are not disclosing information to their internationals for fear of losing them and their funding. Isn't it illegal not to tell the truth? If they say we can get internship spots and come graduation there isn't any can we sue the school on that basis??
It just doesn't seem fair that after spending so much time and money on a school's promise that there were already 56 internationals left hanging out to dry this or last year :( Someone please tell me I'm being paranoid.

Personally, I feel that as long as Australian citizens are guaranteed spots, there should still be spots for internationals somewhere.

Not really sure that logic is sound. There is a squeeze on on spots; if there are only 100 spots and 105 students (100 local, 5 intl) applying, the 100 *SHOULD* go to the local students first and then whatever is available to internationals. Im international so of course I'd want a spot but from a government/school standpoint it makes more sense for them to invest in their local student who is way more likely to stay in the country with the training than to train someone who will try and leave 5yrs from now. This of course opens up the debate of "the most qualified candidate should get the spot" but everyone knows that's not how the world works unfortunately.

Australian med schools do tell you that there is no guarantee of an internship when you graduate.

I feel there should be at least a guarantee to an internship spot; what use is a medical degree without an internship? Not even worth the paper its printed on. Also, I strongly believe that internationals EARN that right to a internship spot by paying the enormous tuition fees and effectively subsidizing the Australian medical education and healthcare system.

I hope to know what happened to the 56 internationals who didn't get a internship spot. Could it be that they are mostly from Asia and returned to their countries? Worked the internship year for free? Or have they secured internship training elsewhere in the world?? I have searched a couple of Australia newspapers sources but it seemed that their fate is as yet unknown.:confused:

Last edited:
I highly doubt there are interns working for free...heck I don't even think that is legal.

What Canuck said is probably true though. Work a year in research or apply back to your home country and pray.

I highly doubt there are interns working for free...heck I don't even think that is legal.

What Canuck said is probably true though. Work a year in research or apply back to your home country and pray.

See link where I read about the option to work for free at the beginning of the crisis two years ago; it wasn't mentioned whether their offers were accepted though.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-11-04/desperate-medical-students-work-for-free/1129448

"Deans of Australia's medical schools say there are not enough doctors and training plans to deal with a flood of graduates, forcing some overseas students to offer to do their training for free.
The huge demand for doctors, particularly in regional and rural areas, has led to a dramatic increase in the number of medical students.
But more students does not necessarily mean more doctors and in many areas the internships required to complete training and be registered are increasingly hard to come by.
That is especially true for overseas students, who are often placed at the bottom of the priority list for placements.
This has led some foreign students at the University of Sydney to offer to forego the starting salary of $55,000 in the hope that it will mean they will be given an internship and get their permanent residency.
Sydney University's North American Medical Students Association president Martin Facini says the students are in a desperate state.
"I think it really shows a desperation that some students are facing and their willingness to do whatever it takes to stay in Australia and practice medicine," he said.
Mr Facini says he personally does not have the option of working for free because he will be in close to $300,000 worth of debt by the time he graduates.
"We've already been taken advantage of enough in terms of being charged $56,000 a year for medical school, not being given a concession, and then to turn around and offer to work for free I think is a bit of a step that I'm not willing to take," he said.
The students say they feel there is too much buck-passing between the Federal Government and states and territories about who should ensure there are enough places available.
"There's the sort of political brinkmanship happening where the state and the federal governments are looking at each other wondering who's going to end up paying for the training of the junior doctors because the decisions are easy to make in the first hand, but they're hard to pay for down the road," Mr Facini said.
Federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon has released a statement saying the Rudd Government "is aware of this issue and is working with the states and territories to provide more clinical training places for medical, allied health and nursing students".
The Minister says she has "asked the states to provide information to the Commonwealth on the issue of intern places for international medical graduates"."

See link where I read about the option to work for free at the beginning of the crisis two years ago; it wasn't mentioned whether their offers were accepted though.

No, they were not taken up on their offer, and yes, that would be illegal in so many ways. I also remember another story on this at about the same time, which noted two students making the offer, and as of writing, one had been offered a normal internship.

As to the oft bogus reports of large numbers of int'l students not getting jobs, note that the stories are always published before the ballots are even finished! (which actually doesn't happen in earnest until the internship year starts).

I'm an upcoming class of 2012 graduate (seeing that I pass all my exams) and I'm an international. The news I've heard lately is not good. Big public health cuts here in Tasmania. And apparently my year is the largest cohort.

When I applied and received my offer for medicine, I was never ever told about this internship issue. There wasn't even a disclaimer on the website about not guaranteeing an internship for international students. Of course they've got it up now, way too late for me to have seen when I first applied.

I just hope my passion to study medicine (which came from having 3 open heart surgeries myself as I grew up) wasn't preyed upon and taken advantage by the university, and to leave me out to dry without an internship and thus an essentially useless degree that I 'bought' for over $150K.

We will see soon... :/

I'm an upcoming class of 2012 graduate (seeing that I pass all my exams) and I'm an international. The news I've heard lately is not good. Big public health cuts here in Tasmania. And apparently my year is the largest cohort.

When I applied and received my offer for medicine, I was never ever told about this internship issue. There wasn't even a disclaimer on the website about not guaranteeing an internship for international students. Of course they've got it up now, way too late for me to have seen when I first applied.

I just hope my passion to study medicine (which came from having 3 open heart surgeries myself as I grew up) wasn't preyed upon and taken advantage by the university, and to leave me out to dry without an internship and thus an essentially useless degree that I 'bought' for over $150K.

We will see soon... :/

Sorry to hear about your current predicament. The reality is that more international applicants need to be aware of the internship situation in Australia and make alternative plans if they had planned on doing their internship there. While certain universities (such as UQ) already virtually guarantees that internationals will NOT get a internship placement, other universities continue to dangle the claim that their states are currently not affected by the medical tsunami to draw international applicants. The reality is that come graduation (and having already paid your tuition fees in full) it does not matter to any Australian university whether you end up with a internship or not, putting paid to whatever assurances were made four years ago when you paid those deposits.

Last edited:
This is not a criticism nor is it harsh skepticism....but does anyone know or is anyone themselves a recent graduate from an Australian medical university sitting around (so-to-speak) without a job, without a prospect, and stuck not working as a physician but would like to be?

I only ask because I'll I hear is people afraid of what's to come, something said each year. Perhaps we'll have to wait for the "tsunami" but I was wondering if anyone out there now can share their frustration and utter disappointment of being jobless and $200,000 in debt.

Hi folks,

I've been accepted to a couple of schools in Australia. I've also been emailing several international students at one in NSW. I won't name them since I have no idea how public this knowledge is. Word is that no has been left out yet. Canuck455, you're talking about ceti.nsw.gov.au right? They are waiting for people who have been offered internships to refuse them. They are predicting (I don't know the source on this) enough people will back down by December for everyone to get a spot somewhere. Students are all writing USMLE and MCCQE (the Canadians are) as well as backups.

Long term the students seem to think that it will stay very tight for a few years and then get better. This is all subjective. On the flip side I'd like to know what is the basis for all the very negative outlook stories of how there will be no spots at all for internationals down the line. Are there any firm stats out there?

Apparently the countries near Australia are circling to pick up the international with australian medical degrees that cannot find an internship spot

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2011/s3355759.htm

I would be curious to know what would be your path after this. . .

On the flip side I'd like to know what is the basis for all the very negative outlook stories of how there will be no spots at all for internationals down the line. Are there any firm stats out there?

Ha. Here's my take:

Starting in 2003, small, insular communities like SDN and ValueMD had a tiny but steady stream of very persistent, angry, apparently disgruntled, and quite likely certifiably PD, int'l students (or at least they claimed to be) who scaremongered. They lied, talking up grads from USyd having to be taxi drivers and the like; or they talked up (manically) or cherry-picked poorly researched or premature media stories about (impending, eventual) doom. Eventually each of these trolls would be exposed, and typically banned, but not before imparting some fear among prospective students. And thus the self-indoctrination (of these communities) progressed.

At the same time, like in most paranoid delusions, there was a kernel of truth -- the tsunami was anticipated, and started to happen, so future numbers didn't seem to add up (increased students relative to claimed available spots). State health boards and doctor and med student rep groups kept saying, "we're running out of spots, we can't possibly make any more...", partly for political reasons to effect policy change (to decrease student numbers [e.g., AMA's history of protecting current docs], get money for more internship spots [e.g., state health depts, schools, and rural doc advocates], and to protect domestic students [e.g., AMSA's xenophobic policy],...), and partly because they hadn't really been forced to find the extra spots until they really really had to. Graphs came out showing number of internship spots diverging from number of grads, but these graphs have consistently been wrong, and re-drafted (for my year, priority of int'ls in Qld was increased and total spots unexpectedly increased for 2007 to match demand just a few weeks before the Ballot).

Meanwhile, until late in the last decade, no one in the various govt bureaucracies had a good handle of the reality (Qld Health didn't have any rep who could explain to our class even the most basic implications of the Moratorium, and the official line for all internship inquiries was, "We can't promise you a spot" -- and Qld was the *most* pressed on the issues of the tsunami!) . Reliable info was so hard to come by, students had to rely on rumor and often contradictory hearsay, much of it from tainted resources like SDN and ValueMD (I can vouch this was also going on at USyd, the other supposedly "clued in" uni wrt the tsunami). My year, from Day 1, assumed it'd be nearly impossible to stay in 2007, until nearly the last minute when the above changes were made. Each year, *something* happens in each state to delay the crunch.

Yet EVERY SINGLE YEAR since 2003, the issue has been real (i.e., impending), just greatly exaggerated. A culpable media annually runs stories reinforcing the fear by running poorly researched stories talking up the issue (at the behest of the above politically interested). Last year a number of stories talked up grads (up to 50?) not getting spots, before the ballots were even finalized(!), ironically in part hyped up by an AMSA which finally grew some by changing its policy (to finally support int'l students) and learned how to milk the issue.

Each year, the indoctrination spreads a bit, increasing the fear ratchet a bit, disproportionately yet instilling at the least a healthy skepticism over internship prospects. Ironically, that leads to more int'ls preparing to get back home (to Canada and the US, chiefly), thus taking some of the pressure off those who stay (programs like UQ's Ochsner will also do that).

So each year in retrospect, so far, grads get spots and are left scratching their heads, wondering, "What the hell were they all going on about?".

But each year it does actually get worse (*approaching* a crunch). In 2005, our very clued in Head (Uncle Ken) told us, "I don't know what will happen to you", while apparently this year (though this is second-hand) Head Wilksinson flat out told first years they *won't* get a spot. And the graphs once again support this, at least in the short-term. Last year was the worst yet for final year int'l students in most states, with the fear of not getting a spot for many lasting almost until the start of internship. But in the end, no horror stories (correct me if I'm wrong here please). This coming year, I'd imagine some ill-prepared students (those with their heads in the sand) will get stuck without a spot anywhere. But based on history, I wouldn't bet good money on that.

So to answer your question, Can2USA, no, there are no firm stats out there. The underlying issue is nonetheless, as always, very real.

Last edited:
This coming year, I'd imagine some ill-prepared students (those with their heads in the sand) will get stuck without a spot anywhere. But based on history, I wouldn't bet good money on that.

What constitutes "ill-prepared"?

Apparently the countries near Australia are circling to pick up the international with australian medical degrees that cannot find an internship spot

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2011/s3355759.htm

I would be curious to know what would be your path after this. . .

If you went to a nearby country (aside from NZ), you could be screwed for coming back to Australia -- first, you'd have to go through the AMC process, which would likely mean you'd need to take some supplemental terms to fulfill Australian requirements for full registration (gotten once all internship requirements are met). Which means you'd need some of the same terms that will be in short supply for interns here. But more importantly, at the same time you'd be trying to come back, there would be an oversupply of junior docs here, which will result in fewer junior IMGs being allowed in. It may be that things change to give some preference to former Australian int'l students, but there are no plans for this.

If you wanted to go back to N. America, you would buy yourself an extra year to try again for a US or Canadian residency. But your internship year wouldn't count.

Or you could stay in Asia.

What constitutes "ill-prepared"?

Those who don't prepare enough to do well on the USMLE or MCCQE, for example. I realize there's more involved, but I was being a bit flippant (I have no patience for those claiming they weren't warned about this issue).

(I have no patience for those claiming they weren't warned about this issue).
Amen.

I have a question Pitman; for those of us with the intention of coming back to NA, what would you suggest we do? I realize that given you are still in Oz you may not be as experienced with that. That begs a second question: in the event that some of us fall in love with Oz (or with a person in Oz ;) ) what could you suggest we do to better our chances of staying, in the event we get an internship.

I spoke with a vasc. surgeon in Sydney (relative) who mentioned that those without PR/Citizenship are highly unlikely to secure a residency after they finish internship. So aside from getting that piece of paper, is there anything else we can do?

I do remember you mentioned to me a while back (forgot the details) about the relatively easy[er] process of getting PR once you graduate. Perhaps a quick summary of that for those reading this thread to calm their nerves a bit?

@pitman: Are internships done in Singapore and Hong Kong not recognized by Australia, the same way that they recognize New Zealand?

I have heard some claim (I think here, actually) that Singapore's internship in particular is "recognized", but I have yet to see any meaningful evidence (let alone qualification) of this, and it is contrary to publicly available regulations. I *could* be wrong, but I have not heard of any cases (where I could probe those people for what process they actually went through). I think the problem is people loosely using the term, "recognize". Not even Kiwi trained docs are recognized in the sense that they can just move over after internship and instantly get general (full) registration here!

The AMC is in charge of assessing medical qualifications (school and clinical) outside of Oz. The have two basic means for internationally trained docs to come here who are not yet specialists: the Competent Authority Pathway (CAP) and the Standard Pathway. CAP is easier, with no MCQ or clinical examination requirement, but the prerequisite is that you've done your school AND (comparable) internship in approved countries. NZ is on that list of countries, as are the UK, Ireland, Canada, and the US (two years training required for the US though); while Singapore, HK (China), and Malaysia, etc. are not. (Note that the other form of special "recognition" non-specialist Kiwis get is a high priority for internship placement in Australia). At any rate, you *still* have to show your internship satisfies Australian requirements (in particular, suitable terms in surgery, medicine, and emergency), and then do some workplace supervision/assessment to show competency. But if you can't demonstrate comparable internship terms, then you also have to apply for and complete such terms, which then subjects you to competition with local interns. But AMC candidates are down the internship ballot priority list, having been moved below that of int'l grads in some states (SA and Qld are two in particular). There may be a way to make up for a single deficient term outside the ballot (directly with a hospital), but this is beyond my understanding of the process. The UK docs I know (who thus went the CAP route) spent about a year getting AMC accreditation and thus general registration (then they used that to apply for Permanent Residency, which is currently taking about 4 months to process even for fast-tracked visas because of the current political mess and backlog of boat people -- not a big issue (the wait, that is), but you need PR to apply to most training colleges or to do locum work). The moral of the CAP story is, make sure you've done the three core terms in your internship.

The route for all other countries -- and as I understand it, all countries around here other than NZ -- is the Standard Pathway, where you have to do the AMC examinations +/- clinical observation. This takes more money and typically more time, and in the meantime, you need a job, such as a supervised position akin to an internship term...

Now here's a peculiarity: the CAP doesn't distinguish between medical school and internship in deciding the acceptable countries (it sort of assumes you graduated from a foreign school AND did a foreign internship), while the Standard Pathway requires examination of pre-internship knowledge and skills (assuming you went to a foreign school, though in the future it may be practicable to do workplace assessment in lieu of the clinical exam).

So I'm not saying that you can't go to an Asian country and then come back to Australia. BUT, you'd be at a disadvantage relative to Kiwis, Irish, Brits, and American junior docs; and as the tsunami crest hits the PGY2 level, competition from locals will increasingly push out those who've done internship elsewhere, more so from non-CAP approved countries (though the crunch will never be as bad as at the internship level, because of accreditation processes, and the relative shortage of required internship terms, most notably Emergency).

As I see it, the only reason there's any controversy over all the int'l students Australian schools train, is that there just aren't enough internship places here once they're done. Arguments get stuck on this point: "Give int'ls spots, it's your responsibility"..."Um, we can't, there just aren't enough"..."Well then stop taking so many int'ls"...Well that isn't going to happen, so the argument goes nowhere. Isn't there an alternative that can at least help the situation?

What I would like to see is some special arrangements made with a few nearby nations such that internship alone can get easily and systematically recognized.

This would only work if the other country has the three required Australian terms (med, surg, ED), but otherwise, why not? The standards of, say, rich and advanced Singapore, are surely good enough that our grads should be able to go there, do an internship of suitable terms, and then be on equal (or nearly so) footing as other PGY2's here. Then any moral "obligation" is met, the schools can continue recruiting high-paying students, Australia gets more docs who are suitably trained, and some of these other countries would get the cheap junior doc labor they've said they want, with some staying on as they train up.

Anyway, I'd like to hear any solid evidence that any countries in our neighborhood are as recognized as NZ where general registration is concerned.

AMC routes: http://www.amc.org.au/index.php/img
CAP route: http://www.amc.org.au/index.php/img/ca

Last edited:
I have a question Pitman; for those of us with the intention of coming back to NA, what would you suggest we do? I realize that given you are still in Oz you may not be as experienced with that. That begs a second question: in the event that some of us fall in love with Oz (or with a person in Oz ;) ) what could you suggest we do to better our chances of staying, in the event we get an internship.

I spoke with a vasc. surgeon in Sydney (relative) who mentioned that those without PR/Citizenship are highly unlikely to secure a residency after they finish internship. So aside from getting that piece of paper, is there anything else we can do?

I do remember you mentioned to me a while back (forgot the details) about the relatively easy[er] process of getting PR once you graduate. Perhaps a quick summary of that for those reading this thread to calm their nerves a bit?

From the last:
1) As it currently stands, once you have completed internship (or after recognition via AMC accreditation, if you do internship elsewhere), you can apply for Permanent Residency, which in good days takes 2 months but currently takes 4 months as per previous post. I posted an outline of the process on the old UQMS website, here:

http://old.uqms.org/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,529/id,28587/#28587

2) I'm not sure why that surgeon thinks that you won't be able to get PR after internship. While the visa requirements could change (state sponsorship could be removed, and docs could be removed from the Skilled Jobs List), there are no plans to do so, and just because there'll be a sewage of docs here via the tsunami doesn't mean there won't still be huge shortages in rural areas and in particular specialties, something even the govt admits -- and such requires immigrant docs a practicable route towards Permanent Residency. Also, there won't be any need to make such a restriction, since even in the case that Australia decides to keep down non-Australian doc numbers, the prerequisite internship year and associated AMC terms won't be available anyway.

In other words, it's just conjecture (and I think highly unlikely) that visa requirements will significantly change for the worse in the foreseeable future.

3) If you get internship here, you're gold. You'll then get Permanent Residency and as history shows will be treated like any Australian.

If you want to go to N. America, the best advice I can give is that you study enough to do better than average on the USMLE or MCCQE, and be open to the less competitive residencies. I think Ochsner is a particularly smart way to get back to the US, since it will be taking many of its own grads for residency to help with placement stats (and as far as I know there's no mechanism that'll penalize your chances at a Qld internship coming out of Ochsner, though Qld does have more of an internship issue for int'ls than most other states).

At any rate, it'll be important that you have an adventurous spirit and keep an open mind to any/all other opportunities that may be presented to you (NZ or Asian internships are better than none and would keep your foot in the door -- if you then went back to Oz and finished training, Canada would likely accept your qualifications, and so on...). Along the way, take the knocks, and you'll still live your life.

Last edited:
The information written above is very useful. Thanks to all who contributed, especially Pitman.

While most of the discussion seems to focus on getting an internship position, I was wondering how easy/difficult it would be to get a Basic Training (Adult) position. I am a Canadian citizen, but graduated from a UK medical school. I am currently in my "internship" year here (called foundation year 1). I am also preparing for the USMLE and MCCEE with a view to return to North America. Having said that, I am also open to going to Australia/New Zealand, as long as I am able to continue with my training.

What I do know is that I do not want to stay in the UK. The training here, so far, has been nothing but disappointing. So I plan on completing foundation training (Foundation Year 2 to include emergency), and applying for positions in Australia/NZ/Canada/US during my foundation year 2.

So my question is, do I need to have completed my second year before applying for the AMC licensing or can I apply during that year? And if I complete the 2 years here in the UK, do I still need to do the workplace supervision/assessment in Auz before starting a Basic Training Program? And finally, what would be my chances, as a UK graduate, of getting a training post? I hear a lot about the shortage of internship posts, but is that now applying to Basic Training positions as well?

Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions. But any help would be greatly appreciated so that the planning can begin!

The AMC is in charge of assessing medical qualifications (school and clinical) outside of Oz. The have two basic means for internationally trained docs to come here who are not yet specialists: the Competent Authority Pathway (CAP) and the Standard Pathway. CAP is easier, with no MCQ or clinical examination requirement, but the prerequisite is that you've done your school AND (comparable) internship in approved countries. NZ is on that list of countries, as are the UK, Ireland, Canada, and the US (two years training required for the US though); while Singapore, HK (China), and Malaysia, etc. are not. (Note that the other form of special "recognition" non-specialist Kiwis get is a high priority for internship placement in Australia). At any rate, you *still* have to show your internship satisfies Australian requirements (in particular, suitable terms in surgery, medicine, and emergency), and then do some workplace supervision/assessment to show competency.
Update to the above, after speaking to an Edinburgh grad who's immigrating here -- her basic terms were recognized after coming, and she had to do a full year of supervision before being granted AMC accreditation (via the Competent Authority Pathway), after which she applied for and got her general registration, then she applied for PR (4 months' process in the current environment). So all up about 18/12 from landing in Oz to PR. Whether this can be reduced a bit by starting the application for recognition before coming over, I'm not sure.

During the year of supervision, the terms are like any other RMO terms and would count towards college requirements. So if coming over after internship via CAP, the main delay in your career would be if you wanted to join one of the few colleges that require PR when applying (ACRRM is one exception I know about -- you only need to have applied for PR), or if, like any other RMO, you can't get the terms you want in that supervised year (e.g., paeds for the GP colleges).

Last edited: