MD overall GPA 3.85, sGPA 3.92, MCAT 513, Med School Assistance Needed :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blindmst

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was trying to edit my old post and realized i just created a new one, forgive the spam my friends so sorry :/

Third year white male undergrad at UCLA, looking to apply to med school this cycle.

MCAT is 513 (129 bio/phys, 127 soc, 128 cars).

EC's: not an exhaustive list
-Lead Volunteer for patient outreach program Ronald Reagan Med Center (about 200 hours)
-House Manager Executive for Sigma Chi Fraternity (around 300 hours for the full term)
also was assistant philanthropy chair, logged a lot of hours but not sure if I will include
-Medlife Mobile Clinic, Peru (500 hours) week long clinic in Lima shadowing doctors, basic triage and provided much need care to those in impoverished local communities.
-Stroke and Spinal Cord research lab (50 hours) did it for my sophomore year but decided not to continue, although it was a solid experience.
-Ministry team leader for on campus christian organization, do several community outreach programs a year along with events aimed at serving the UCLA student body. (150-200 hours)
-worked a part-time job on campus for the last two years now, idk if this kind of thing is worth mentioning figured it could show responsibility etc.

List of Schools, please add and remove as you see fit sorry if it is pretty dense just don't know which to cut off just yet:

Albert Einstein College of Med
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Emory University
George Washington University
Hofstra Northwell
Indiana University
Keck School of Medicine USC
Loma Linda University
Loyola University Chicago Stritch
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of California Los Angeles
University of California Irvine
University of California San Diego
University of California Davis
Michigan State University
Oakland University
Penn State
St Louis University of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine
University of Illinois
University of Kentucky
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Frank H. Netter at Quinnipiac U
Jacobs School of Medicine U of Buffalo
Lewis Katz at Temple U
Mayo Medical School
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Thomas Jefferson University, Sidney Kimmel
Oregon University
Tulane University
University of Nevada
University of Washington
Virginia Commonwealth U
Wake Forest
Western Michigan U
Tufts

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Remove Baylor, U of Alabama, U of Colorado, Rush and Northstate(do a search on it)
Even though Duke is rather hollistic and interviews a high proportion, it's unlikely an app with limited research and a well below <avg MCAT will get traction.
If you arent from the IE or went to UG there, UCR shouldnt be on here. Read about Loma Lindas policies espec with regards to drinking and sex before deciding to include it.
I dont consider IU or U of Kentucky terrible choices but you can find better options. Ditto Michigan State.
Keck and a couple of those UCs probably arent going to be very high yield either if you to trim this. Boston U Ohio State and Emory might fall under that category as well depending on the rest of your ECs.
Drexel RFU and GW with their boatload of applications arent high yield options but you can keep them if you want.

If you feel the research exp was meaningful and you got something out of it list. If not, dont. We dont know much really about your ECs but presuming your "ECs sell themselves" like youve said Im counting about 7 schools you could go in saying you have a reasonable shot at getting a II. That number ideally should be doubled. MSAR will help with that. Einstein, Western Michigan, Jefferson and VCU are some to look at.

Last edited:
Remove your name :) ASAP...

I suggest:

U VM
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.
Your state school(s).
Any DO program