Overlap of AMCAS Activities and Significant Research Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noctámbulo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do people avoid repetitiveness in listing research involvements in the AMCAS activities section and again in the significant research essay? Is the former expected to be more concise, more subjective, etc.?

And do people typically list each lab as a separate activity, or is it acceptable to group academic year research, external research, and so on in the activities section?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How do people avoid repetitiveness in listing research involvements in the AMCAS activities section and again in the significant research essay? Is the former expected to be more concise, more subjective, etc.?

And do people typically list each lab as a separate activity, or is it acceptable to group academic year research, external research, and so on in the activities section?

This thread may be helpful.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/amcas-2014-2015-application-research-entries.1052324/

My AMCAS activity entry on research was more subjective (what I learned from my experiences), although I put that info in the "most meaningful experience" section. In the main text I put the title of projects I worked on, the time frame, project hours, and whether it was paid or not (I only worked in 1 lab).

The essay was more dry, describing the project details (although I summarized what I learned at the end of each paragraph).

There is definitely some overlap between the two, but I don't think its that big of a deal.

Reactions: 1 user