Overnight hospital pharmacist position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyfishaha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow residents, would any of you consider an overnight pharmacist position in a big teaching hospital that is close to your home? Would it be a not-so- wise move for someone to pick up an overnight staffing position after finishing residency? Also, any advice/tips on how to adjust your lifestyles (7 on 7 off) would be greatly appreciated! ^-^ Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

What would you be doing? If I really wanted to be close to home, I guess I would but after exhausting all my options.

Our last overnight pharmacist was residency trained, but then again our overnight pharmacist does admission med rec and vanc/warfarin monitoring, codes, etc... So that kind of position may actually benefit your career if you don't go insane in the process from the crazy workload. All depends on what the duties of the position are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked two years evening 7 on 7 off. The lifestyle is a double edged sword. It allows you to have more days but not necessarily hours off. It is hard to have a social life working seven on seven off. Nights are a little better since you can make dinner or something before your shift starts. It depends on what your overall goals are; it would be harder to transition from that type of a position to a clinical one. Please feel free to pm if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Fellow residents, would any of you consider an overnight pharmacist position in a big teaching hospital that is close to your home? Would it be a not-so- wise move for someone to pick up an overnight staffing position after finishing residency? Also, any advice/tips on how to adjust your lifestyles (7 on 7 off) would be greatly appreciated! ^-^ Thanks for the input!

I'd say it's preferable to being unemployed. If you don't have any other options, give it a try - maybe in a year or so, this hospital will have an opening on day shift and they'll consider you. As a few other posters pointed out, overnights can be more clinical than you think, and if the hospital is a trauma center, you'll see most of that action on the night shift.

Thank you everyone for your input! It was really helpful in my decision making!