Overnight Retail Pharmacy questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ETSUpharmStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What potential hours have you heard for overnight pharmacists working in retail? I've heard 7 on/ 7 off working from 10 pm - 8 am at Walgreens but was curious to know what other hours exist out there for other companies?

Also, when you work this kind of schedule, how many weeks vacation do retail pharmacies let you have off when you are working this kind of schedule?

Do you usually work the shift by yourself with no technician there?

Members don't see this ad.

I did it for a year - it was 10p to 8 a - 7 on, 7 off. I had a tech until midnight, and one came in at 7am. I started with two weeks vacation, and quit after a year - but to take one week off, you must use two weeks vacation, so I traded weeks with my opposite Rph and worked 21 on, 21 off to get another week vacation.

most cvs are 10p-8am, but my stupid store is 9p-7am. the tech usually leaves at 10pm, so im by myself with a number of urgent care and hospitals and pickups. my pharmacy manager is just exceptionally lazy. he doesn't verify scripts and leave baskets all over the floor waiting for me to come in to pickup the trash. i also heard from the tech that he schedule more ppl on his shifts, and less ppl on other day time pharmacists' shift. so it depends on who you're working under. it could be a pain in the @ss.

vacation wise, 1 week off counts as 2 weeks time, but essentially u get 3 weeks length. so earlier in the year i spent 3 weeks vacationing out of the country. later this year i still have enough vacation time to cover 5 days, that plus 2 days leave of absence request, i will get another 3 weeks vacationing out of the country. so in essence this year i get to vacation twice, each time is 3 weeks! ^_^.,

most cvs are 10p-8am, but my stupid store is 9p-7am. the tech usually leaves at 10pm, so im by myself with a number of urgent care and hospitals and pickups. my pharmacy manager is just exceptionally lazy. he doesn't verify scripts and leave baskets all over the floor waiting for me to come in to pickup the trash. i also heard from the tech that he schedule more ppl on his shifts, and less ppl on other day time pharmacists' shift. so it depends on who you're working under. it could be a pain in the @ss.

vacation wise, 1 week off counts as 2 weeks time, but essentially u get 3 weeks length. so earlier in the year i spent 3 weeks vacationing out of the country. later this year i still have enough vacation time to cover 5 days, that plus 2 days leave of absence request, i will get another 3 weeks vacationing out of the country. so in essence this year i get to vacation twice, each time is 3 weeks! ^_^.,
I am just curious what is the volume of your store? I would assume it's over 3000 a week minimum. You might want to have a look at the myschedule dynamics- I would not doubt that you have Pharmacy managers who will load up techs on their shifts- but having your last tech at 10pm at a 24 hour store is asking for trouble- unless you are at a unique store where every day you are walking in to a clean queue meaning nothing in QT or QP then perhaps that would make sense- but if you are walking into double digit pages in either QT or QP that's an issue. At my store and I am doing currently 4400 a week- the day time MUST have QT cleared before he/she leaves- so the Over night pharmacist only works QP- we have 2 techs until 1230am each night with the exception of Sat and Sun.