Overpaid nurses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, share. What exactly is the "misguided musing"? :rolleyes: I believe the "data" is in reference to this post:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12096485&postcount=278

Perhaps my understanding is incorrect. Enlighten me. I'm all ears. ;)

Future nursing administrator! Thanks for the promotion, but let me finish my classes first. :D

I feel extremely well-suited to do what any CA RN does. ;) A NYC RN? Hmm, perhaps not as well suited. :laugh:

Nursing is expedient (2yr degree). You don't even need a bachelors, and it's more financially secure than an MBA, J.D., or EE. Not only that, the hours, OT (which doesn't exist in any of those professions), and lack of business travel make it a much sweeter deal.

Compared to nursing, I don't consider my job loss a failure, I consider having not discovered and entered the nursing profession earlier the failure. Where else can you have a protected job, no travel, and make six figures with just an Associate Degree?

By the way, all I hear out of those attending nursing school right now, is how much they all talk about the money aspect (I'm told a certain Northern California hospital is now paying $76 an hour)

Lets review shall we?

Consider this, 1st year nurses in Northern CA make $100k+. That's an RN with an ASN (2yr degree) or BSN (4yr degree).

Compare to the World's Top MBA programs: http://officialmbaguide.org/top40.php?rnk=salary [4yr college + 2yr MBA]

Compare to starting salaries for Engineers: http://www.eng.lsu.edu/news/2009/7/e...ational-survey and http://www.payscale.com/best-college...g-colleges.asp [4yrs college though usually takes 5-6 to complete]

Compare to starting salaries for Lawyers: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_b...al-jurist.html [4yrs college + 3yrs JD]

It's no wonder the ABSN program around here have a pipeline of MBAs, lawyers and engineers! Lets see, a 2yr associates at a community college or 5-8 years of college and grad school... hmm, tough choice.

Top that off with patient to nurse ratio (I love it!!!) I'm sure many MBAs, JDs and EEs wish they had a ratio or OT or no travel or even a 3-4 day workweek!

"In 1999, they persuaded the state Legislature to pass a first-in-the-nation law setting nurse-to-patient ratios: the maximum number of patients assigned to a licensed nurse at any one time.

The staffing ratios, implemented in 2004, range from one nurse for every patient in a trauma unit, to one nurse for every four patients in a specialty-care unit."

"It's a huge cost for hospitals," Spetz said, estimating about one-sixth of a hospital's total budget goes toward compensation of registered nurses, licensed vocational nurses and nurses aides.

Highest nursing pay in U.S.

For many CNA members, there's a more potent measure of the union's success: Nursing pay, already higher in California than anywhere else, is rising fast.

The average salary for a California registered nurse grew from $57,855 in 2001 to $88,714 in 2011, according to the state Employment Development Department. Adjusted for inflation, that represents a 21 percent pay hike, compared with an 8 percent pay bump for other California workers during that span.

At the current pace, the average salary for a California registered nurse will eclipse six figures in three years.

The arguments, the walkouts, the pay increases – all are likely to continue as long as demand for nurses remains strong. In 2010, as the state buckled under 12 percent unemployment, the jobless rate among nurses was 1.8 percent, census figures show.

"We're still seeing demand," said Terri Carpenter, the agency's spokeswoman. "But we can only train so many a year. There's only so much space at the colleges."

• Do Northern California nurses not have the highest nursing pay in the U.S.?
  • Are those average salary figures not correct?
  • Is the nurse unemployment rate wrong?
If so, feel free to contact the newspaper that did the fact checking and published the article from which I cut/pasted.

We're not talking about the exception to the rule. When hospitals hire new RNs, do they not get paid the same or does a BSN make more than an ASN? And if an RN has 5 yrs experience, do they not get paid comparably to an RN that has 5yrs of experience? As I understand it, it's not a pay for performance model.

That's the point though. An RN with an ASN does make that kind of money. They make the same. Unlike MBAs, JDs, EEs and countless other professions where new grads (usually with a 4yr Bachelor and professional degree) do not get paid the same as their peers, and certainly do not get paid the same as their more educated peers even though they may be doing the same job (there are exceptions, but that's the general rule).

You'll also find that a Harvard or Stanford MBA will get paid more than an MBA that attended a lesser school. That's also true with JDs and EEs. An MIT grad is better paid than an EE from a Tier 2 or 3 school. That is reflective of the market supply / demand. How does that compare with nursing? Is an ASN RN from a better school paid more? How about a BSN RN from a better school?

How about the teachers training and educating the very RNs we're talking about? At the BSN programs around here, the teachers (who are highly educated RNs) make less than if they worked as an RN.

Why shouldn't an RN teacher make more given their nursing experience and education?

That's an excellent question! Why should an EE with just a bachelors make less than an MSEE? Why should a business major (BBA) make less than an MBA? Why should a JD make less than an someone who has a master's in law?

They know less, that's why. Which raises the question, does an ASN know less than a BSN? After all, they take the same NCLEX, receive the same training (at least that's what the professors in the BSN program keep telling the students). They receive the same pay. So what exactly is the difference?

Someone with an associates in engineering certainly does not have the same education as bachelor level.

While on the topic, I have the 8th Ed. Med-Surg Nursing by Lewis et. al., 7th Ed. Clinical Nursing Skills & Techniques by Perry & Potter, 7th Ed. Fundamentals of Nursing, ATI's series - RN Adult Med Surg Nursing 8th Ed., and about 15 other RN books including NCLEX (as I may have mentioned previously, I like to read ahead ;) ) and I've yet to come across any content that I would consider "difficult" though that's a relative term. Unlike engineering, physics, calculus, and other classes that many consider more difficult.

It's no wonder kids today avoid the STEM disciplines. Why bother even getting a bachelor or a masters in most other disciplines when an ASN alone will make you more bank?

Fab, you're in the wrong place! Come to CA (stay away from the major cities - L.A. & S.F.) and you too could see more pay for less work (whatever you do avoid NYC).

And around here you'll run into former MBAs, JDs, EEs, etc. all now in healthcare and loving the lifestyle! Can't wait for that first 4 day weekend as a "regular workweek" :)

firecloud..... all a guy can do is do his best to soak up all the info that he can based on what he finds on the web, and gleans from converstations with his friends... and thats what you are doing. i dont doubt that california is where the nursing gold rush is, and i have some friends down there doing just that. go ahead and lay a list of citations at the feet of your supervisors when you are an RN, and explain to them that they have no standing when they pay you less than what you've read, or when they assign you more patients than the quota. see how well your techniques work when you are dealing with a noncompliant patient. i think that your "this is how it is because ive read it" attitude is the most prominent impression ive gleaned from your posts. you keep saying things like "its only a matter of time before technology replaces nurses", but youve never dealt with a high maintenance one. you insist that 3 shifts a week will be a cakewalk compared to the endless hours of a computer science job. you are very self assured to the point of naivete. most of us in healthcare know that the best laid plans are often turned back around on us, and the folks like you that stand there saying "this shouldnt have happened.... its not supposed to work like this" are some of the most difficult people to be around from that point on. they are the ones that dont adapt, and are disillusioned. i have no doubt that you can get into nursing school, get through it with good grades. i guesse if i have a point to make, its that you dont know much about how things go in healthcare, yet you present yourself as an expert on it. i guesse if you are comfortable droning on about how things are supposed to be because you read it in an article written by someone paid by the line to come up with content, then far be it from me to try to correct you on every point. what i can say is that in my associates degree RN class, we are graduating into an environment where wages arent nearly what california has, and the job market isnt nearly as tight, and over half the class isnt going to get work. those of us that do will be the ones with jobs in facilities already, and our facilities will be demanding that we get our bachelor's to keep working there because thats the prevailing trend.when we do get work, it wont be for wages that are what we read they would be on the BLS website, or on glassdoordotcom.

Members don't see this ad.

additionally, you do you think that you are one of the early adopters when it comes to picking up nursing as a career change in california? how long do you think the gold rush can be maintained when all these MBA's and lawyers are matriculating through RN programs? how long do you think they will last when they have to deal with the daily grind of patient care? out of the top ten students that struggle the most in my program, probably 8 of them are the kinds of students you mention... second career folks that i expected to have a lot to offer based on thier backgrounds. the ones that do the very best are folks that have a little bit of exposure to the field as paramedics, LPNs, CNA's, etc... not folks that read up on nursing as a stable place to weather the storm. it would be fantastic for you to do some work as a CNA before you dive in, no matter how excited you are about the possibilities for paid time off, benefits, and work hours.

firecloud, lets go a step further. you are a smart guy according to the post you made a while back where you were talking about how you were breezing through your prereqs. go out and apply for cna jobs in hospitals in your area in california. then do some work as a cna and get some exposure to it. come back and tell us about how its going for you. you should easily be able to fit work as a cna in with what you are doing right now... at least im able to work full time and go to nursing school, so im just comparing my challenge to you with that. no matter what, it would be a good experience for you for later. like i said, you will probably get into a nursing school somewhere. i feel like one of your stumbling blocks will be your lack of exposure to patients and the field itseld. you have nothing to lose by going out and taking on that kind of work as a primer for your future as a well paid california RN that enjoys working 3 days a week and doesnt think its difficult compared to working in corporate america.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not going to bother reading through this crazy mess of a thread, just going to make a short comment regarding the subject in general.

Considering what the RNs got paid at the hospital I used to work at as an RT, I am convinced either they were over paid or we were under paid. There was at least a $15-$20 an hour gap between us, and they had all sorts of little ways of getting extra pay on top of that, that wasn't available to us.

On a related note, I never understood why an RN working on the floor got paid the same an experienced PICU or NICU RN, maybe that was just our hospital.

In any case, this topic no longer bothers me, as I don't have to work with those RNs being paid more than me.

Considering what the RNs got paid at the hospital I used to work at as an RT, I am convinced either they were over paid or we were under paid. There was at least a $15-$20 an hour gap between us, and they had all sorts of little ways of getting extra pay on top of that, that wasn't available to us.

On a related note, I never understood why an RN working on the floor got paid the same an experienced PICU or NICU RN, maybe that was just our hospital.

It must be because RTs don't "save lives" only nurses do. ;)

And don't take my prediction for your future in management as a compliment. It's more of a Dillbert Principle thing.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: That was a great line! I really enjoyed it!

If the Dilbert Principle means I'll be the idiot in charge making more money, I'll take it. Call me whatever you like as long as I make bank, don't have to travel, get paid OT and enjoy 3+ day weekends and job security.

Ah CNAs. If RNs had to do everything a CNA does on a daily basis and were paid like CNAs, we'd have few nurses in CA.

For all the complaints I hear from nurses, I don't see them going out and retraining into other professions. However, I do know quite a few that left the profession to stay home with their kids. I see them sipping their pina coladas by the pool, reading a book, looking forward to their afternoon massage, good work if you can get it.

Now, on an unrelated topic. I'm doing some research on use of Chlorhexidine Gluconate dressings in PICC lines. Know of any good articles? :)

Obviously, you don't know that many nurses. There are plenty of nurses leaving to do something else. You'd need to read some of the threads on all nurses to get the picture.

And at my house there's no pool, and the only pina colada is the body scrub I use every now and then.

Feel free to continue whining, though. It's kind of amusing.

There is no way you are a Doctor, Taurus. You are an absolute *****. Every post you do is dumber than the last. In your first post you're going off about nurses complaining of their low salary yet it was clear any nurse making 200k or more is doing an insane amount of overtime. You're a doctor and you can't figure that out? Secondly, wtf are you talking about fraud? if he's working the hours then he deserves the pay. Maybe you should look up the definition of fraud. You're basically saying anyone who makes a lot of money doing tons of overtime is committing fraud? Think long and hard about how stupid you are...please :) Maybe you should have gone to nursing school if you seem to envy them so much. It's not our problem your dumb ass spent half your life in Medical School and it didn't pay off. Kill yourself.

Push hard push fast, shock, epi, shock, epi ,shock........IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

Dude, on your FIRST POST you resurrected a thread that died FOUR YEARS AGO, likely when you just started high school!

Congrats, you can probably put that on your CV somewhere....

Reactions: 2 users
Push hard push fast, shock, epi, shock, epi ,shock........IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

Dude, on your FIRST POST you resurrected a thread that died FOUR YEARS AGO, likely when you just started high school!

Congrats, you can probably put that on your CV somewhere....

For gods sake make this post a DNR.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.