Overqualified for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nutritiontomed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this may sound cocky, but I came to this conclusion from this year's application. I really wanna do DO not because I cant get into MD but 'cause I would learn more in DO. However, I didnt even get ONE interview with a 3.9ish and a 27R MCAT. Are they rejecting me 'cause they think I wont join if I get accepted? And if so what do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

get over yourself. i interviewed with someone at a DO school who has a 35 MCAT and a 3.8 gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
no that is not the case. maybe you come off weird in your personal statement.

get over yourself. i interviewed with someone at a DO school who has a 35 MCAT and a 3.8 gpa.

I'm sorry if it comes out harsh but why wouldnt I even get one interview in any DO school, now I'm thinking maybe I should have applied to MD. I shadowed a DO and he told me I should have a decent chance to get an interview out of the 25 schools but they all come out as rejections before interview. He read my personal statement and saw my stuff and he said I should be fine...now I'm stuck a year behind 'cause for some reason the schools dont even give interviews....anyone else have feedback, I really appreciate it.

I'm sorry if it comes out harsh but why wouldnt I even get one interview in any DO school, now I'm thinking maybe I should have applied to MD. I shadowed a DO and he told me I should have a decent chance to get an interview out of the 25 schools but they all come out as rejections before interview. He read my personal statement and saw my stuff and he said I should be fine...now I'm stuck a year behind 'cause for some reason the schools dont even give interviews....anyone else have feedback, I really appreciate it.
it doesnt come out harsh. it comes out stupid.

When did you apply Mr. Overqualified Nutritiontomed, DO, MD, Esquire?
No, but seriously, when did you? That would help us put the pieces together.

My AACOMAS was verified on Sept 7th (or 6th somewhere around there). And I send in secondaries like 2 weeks later with the LORs...

I can't believe you....

maybe your LORs are bad and your EC's don't stand out.

See you as overqualified? You got a 27 on the MCAT my friend. That's Walmart-greeter territory.

My AACOMAS was verified on Sept 7th (or 6th somewhere around there). And I send in secondaries like 2 weeks later with the LORs...

That isn't late at all! Do you have any volunteer experience? Research? Something to set you a part as not overly qualified?

honestly whether you mean to or not, if your app carries the same tone you have in this thread, i'm not sure which schools would take interest

Members don't see this ad :)

You applied to 25 schools? When were you complete?

See you as overqualified? You got a 27 on the MCAT my friend. That's Walmart-greeter territory.

Its not the 27 MCAT that makes me look that way its my GPA...and I never said I was thats why I only applied to DO 'cause I know they are good programs. So don't get the wrong idea.

honestly whether you mean to or not, if your app carries the same tone you have in this thread, i'm not sure which schools would take interest
i think we're onto something here

Its not the 27 MCAT that makes me look that way its my GPA...and I never said I was thats why I only applied to DO 'cause I know they are good programs. So don't get the wrong idea.

A million people have high GPAs. Your numbers are common in DO schools. You're probably just a crappy writer or something.

i think we're onto something here

Dude my tone is out of frustration...put yourself in my shoes. Imagine you try so hard in undergrad you do everything you can and you get rejected without even a chance (interview). How would your tone be?

Be careful buddy, I feel a barrage of flaming arrows heading your way. Or you are trolling, either way you are heading down a dusty trail.

A million people have high GPAs. Your numbers are common in DO schools. You're probably just a crappy writer or something.

Thanks for being the first person with reasonable suggestion. However, my writing skills are the best skills I possess, but my ability to interview sucks (however that can't be the case for my denials)

when i came onto this thread i was expecting the OP to have like a 4.0 and a 38S... only to find a 3.9 and a 27... wtf are you thinking, your not overqualified for anything and i dont know where you even got that idea. I have a 3.8 and a 28M and so far I have 4 interviews coming up. I'm pretty sure you came across badly on your personal statement or your secondaries because we applied at the same time and i havent gotten any preinterview rejections yet. be humble dude

Dude my tone is out of frustration...put yourself in my shoes. Imagine you try so hard in undergrad you do everything you can and you get rejected without even a chance (interview). How would your tone be?

I understand your pain buddy... but you can never be "overqualified" to get rejected... something is wrong in your application... please have it read by more people.... I am sorry friend

Be careful buddy, I feel a barrage of flaming arrows heading your way. Or you are trolling, either way you are heading down a dusty trail.

I know but what would you do in my situation. Where am I suppose to go and what should I do now...

Okay, I feel your pain. However, you need to change your attitude. Instead of what is wrong with them (all the schools, not ME--I am overly qualified), you need to look at yourself. Have some peers, as in other applying DO students, read your personal, call the schools and ask why the rejections, etc. You need to start from the ground up instead of the top down.

when i came onto this thread i was expecting the OP to have like a 4.0 and a 38S... only to find a 3.9 and a 27... wtf are you thinking, your not overqualified for anything and i dont know where you even got that idea. I have a 3.8 and a 28M and so far I have 4 interviews coming up. I'm pretty sure you came across badly on your personal statement or your secondaries because we applied at the same time and i havent gotten any preinterview rejections yet. be humble dude

Dude I am humble. I never said I am overqualified thats what the physician suggested that I shadowed...he told me that there is nothing wrong with my app and I should atleast get one interview unless they feel I am overqualified.

the answer is no. I go to a DO school and there are many students here that got in with better stats. a few have much better stats. that is definitely not the problem. you most likely have at least one red flag on your app, you need to have someone who knows what they are doing go over your entire app. also did you apply early last year? have a few other people read your personal statement, you can pm me it if you want. you could also have a problem with the letters of recomendation although thats not as likely. alot of schools send out interview invites before reading them. did you ever follow up with any of the schools and ask why you didnt even get an invite?

bro, your frustration isnt because you're overqualified. its because you have a giant red flag or two in your app and you're either choosing to ignore or you just don't realize it.

Okay, I feel your pain. However, you need to change your attitude. Instead of what is wrong with them (all the schools, not ME--I am overly qualified), you need to look at yourself. Have some peers, as in other applying DO students, read your personal, call the schools and ask why the rejections, etc. You need to start from the ground up instead of the top down.

exactly what i would've said

Honestly, just call up the admissions office and ask them. Ask to schedule an appointment with a counselor and review your application.

the answer is no. I go to a DO school and there are many students here that got in with better stats. a few have much better stats. that is definitely not the problem. you most likely have at least one red flag on your app, you need to have someone who knows what they are doing go over your entire app. also did you apply early last year? have a few other people read your personal statement, you can pm me it if you want. you could also have a problem with the letters of recomendation although thats not as likely. alot of schools send out interview invites before reading them. did you ever follow up with any of the schools and ask why you didnt even get an invite?

You may be right there may be a red flag on my application but I can't figure it out I'm going crazy. I think you're right it cant be the LOR since LECOM-brandenton doesnt want them before an interview (and I didnt get one). It could be my personal statement then, but the doctor said it was fine...maybe he lied to me :'(

Give your personal statement to some people that can give good criticism. Not your mom or your pervert uncle, but maybe a professor or two, some smart friends, you get the idea.

Figure out a way to see your Letters of Recommendation. A really bad letter can seal your fate every time, and without seeing it, you could be repeatedly sabotaging your chances. You may say you can't do that, that you can't read your letters. Well I beg to differ. Get creative. ;)

Good luck man.

Honestly, just call up the admissions office and ask them. Ask to schedule an appointment with a counselor and review your application.

Can't meet up with most schools they are too far from my house (4 hours+) maybe I can do it on the phone....thats a good idea

The reality is, there is something critically wrong with your application. Interviews are extended after a number of different attributes balance out: MCAT scores, sGPA, cGPA, volunteer, leadership, clinical experience, shadowing, communication skills, social adeptness, writing acuity. If one or more of these is out of whack, they may try to balance it with other reputable traits, but if the balance is tipped too far, no interview.

Give your personal statement to some people that can give good criticism. Not your mom or your pervert uncle, but maybe a professor or two, some smart friends, you get the idea.

Figure out a way to see your Letters of Recommendation. A really bad letter can seal your fate every time, and without seeing it, you could be repeatedly sabotaging your chances. You may say you can't do that, that you can't read your letters. Well I beg to differ. Get creative. ;)

Good luck man.

LMAO you are so funny. You remind me of the cool osteopathic physicians I was shadowing. When I was shadowing them I thought they would be cocky but they were so nice... one of the reasons why I really wanted to go in...

I'm sorry if this may sound cocky, but I came to this conclusion from this year's application. I really wanna do DO not because I cant get into MD but 'cause I would learn more in DO. However, I didnt even get ONE interview with a 3.9ish and a 27R MCAT. Are they rejecting me 'cause they think I wont join if I get accepted? And if so what do I do?

Your stats are average. 3.9 is above average, but definitely not out of the ordinary for DO matriculants. And the 27 is definitely middle of the road so assuming your not getting interviews based on your stats being "to good" is laughable.

If this is the tone you are projecting on a unanimous website where pre-meds like to compare pecker size I wonder how your essays and personal statement were written.

My best advice to you and all pre-meds is lose the preemptive notion that the world of medicine owes you something. I have been a part of countless interviews where you can smell the entitlement the second they interviewee opens their mouth. Learn to be humble, because no other educational en-devour or profession will knock you on your ***** faster.

same old stuff...
-volunteer in the ER
-shadowed 2 DO physicians and 2 MD physicians
-nursing home
-tutoring
-etc...

There is your problem. Your attitude there is that you went through the motions. Did you have any incredible experiences? What about your volunteering sets you a part? Did you talk about any of those things in your application? Did you tell them what things you saw the DO do that made you chose DO over MD?

7 in BS could be a red flag. most schools want an 8. i still think its your essays an LORs though.

There is your problem. Your attitude there is that you went through the motions. Did you have any incredible experiences? What about your volunteering sets you a part? Did you talk about any of those things in your application? Did you tell them what things you saw the DO do that made you chose DO over MD?

hmm thats a really good point. I never said why DO over MD. I just talked about why a physician type of answer...maybe that could be it. I don't know I always viewed them as both being just physicians helping people out....

chances are you're actually a troll.

Well thanks to everyone who tried to help me out. Gotta go back to my show and enjoy becoming brain dead :(

Thanks for your constructive criticism. I can tell you will be a perfect addition to your class.

it's not that he's trying to be a jerk. it's that your attitude is so shockingly ridiculous we can barely buy it

i'll take that as a congratulations. i'll also add this:

YouMad.jpg

Well thanks to everyone who tried to help me out. Gotta go back to my show and enjoy becoming brain dead :(

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not a troll. If you do end up calling the schools, bump the thread and give us an update.