Overwhelmed, but need to start studying ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemCrazy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I graduated in May with a B.S. in biochemistry and plan on taking the MCAT on January 19th.

I have the Kaplan set, ordered EK 9th edition, EK 101 Verbal, EK 1001 for the sciences, and AAMC question packs, guide, and flashcards. I briefly checked out Khan Academy yesterday.

It dawned on me that I should have taken the MCAT at least a year ago, but alas, this isn't the place to explain that. Now, I feel as though I have forgotten everything and the Kaplan Bio chapters I checked out (kidney and other anatomy) were never covered in my curriculum. That's why this morning I bought literally every other prep I listed.

I have about 11-12 weeks to study with Christmas break, so how does one go about content review without burning out? Are the books I ordered sufficient? I read about BR, but I need advice on whether that money would better be spent on practice exams.

Basically, I would not mind committing the 7 hours a day I had planned to if I knew I was doing the right thing/ something worthwhile to getting a good score. After having learned so much the last 4 years, it's physically paining me that I don't feel it prepared me for this exam. My stress level is highly elevated and I haven't even started.

Finally, would it be better to read quickly through both sets and then watch videos on the topic, or to take detailed notes on one? I want to be focused on FL within 2 months.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any parts of the Kaplan set that are good (or great)? I think I read that Biology and Biochemistry weren't bad, but I'm not sure.

I'm scheduled to take the MCAT January 19 as well. I've gone through all the Kaplan books and bio and biochem were definitely the best. For stuff like the renal system that my courses haven't covered I've found Khan Academy to be very helpful. Between the kaplan set and khan academy you should be set for resources.

Get a refund on your Kaplan books and purchase the TBR books. That is, if you want the best possible score that you are capable of. If you just want to follow the herd, keep using Kaplan like everyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought Kaplan over a year ago, so Amazon won't refund me. Am I allowed to activate my book to get Kaplan's online resources and then sell it back to Amazon?