Overwhelmed by Human Gross Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brooklynyc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks! Sorry to be clogging this PT thread up with an annoying 1st year PT student rant but I need to vent for my own sanity.

I am in my 5th week of human gross anatomy and we have just finished the first two units, the back and upper extremities, and the abdomen/thorax/pelvis.

We are currently in our third unit which is head and neck. I have been doing well on both my written and practical exams so far but what's been the hardest part about school is that I always feel like I am behind. It always feels like other people know more than I do whenever.

I know that since all studying is self-directed, it often is just a case of someone else studying material that I haven't studied yet so. This is a good thing too, since it motivates me to catch up on material I don't know.

Studying for anatomy is SO overwhelming because of the enormous amount of material and also the enormous amount of resources at my disposal. With a limited amount of time, it is overwhelming.

Things I have tried:

Anatomy Coloring Book (not too high yield for me and not the best use of my time, I've found)
BRS (I hear people sing the praises of BRS, med students included, but not high yield for me so far)
Youtube (Anatomy Zone, Dr. Preddy, Acland, Clinical Anatomy Explained; these channels have saved my life. Super high yield studying for me)
Gray's Anatomy (Our required text. I've only read it during the first week)

There is so much more material. The TAs give so much great stuff to us and my classmates are always coming across awesome things.

Despite all this at my disposal and despite having done well so far, I find it incredibly difficult to study for anatomy because of the non-linear format of studying. I was so used to just reading a textbook in undergrad and doing well on my exams. For anatomy, I literally attack it from every single angle. Books, videos, flashcards, drawing, converting good videos into MP3/podcast format (thank you Dr. Preddy for your forearm videos) . . .

Anyways, if you've read this far, thanks! The stress of anatomy is killing me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I know how you feel but you just have to believe you know your stuff. I've been told the Imposter's syndrome never really fades away throughout school. Just keep pushing through it, and continue to utilize the resources that have been providing results. By now you should have a proper understanding of your professor's testing format and what he/she likes to test on. Of course it’s best to learn as much as you can throughout the course, but if you need to damage control before a test I recommend studying what would most likely be tested on. Don't overwhelm yourself either, I always dedicate one day out of the weekend to do absolutely nothing school related (Except on midterms/finals weeks). Just keep doing you!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello folks! Sorry to be clogging this PT thread up with an annoying 1st year PT student rant but I need to vent for my own sanity.

I am in my 5th week of human gross anatomy and we have just finished the first two units, the back and upper extremities, and the abdomen/thorax/pelvis.

We are currently in our third unit which is head and neck. I have been doing well on both my written and practical exams so far but what's been the hardest part about school is that I always feel like I am behind. It always feels like other people know more than I do whenever.

I know that since all studying is self-directed, it often is just a case of someone else studying material that I haven't studied yet so. This is a good thing too, since it motivates me to catch up on material I don't know.

Studying for anatomy is SO overwhelming because of the enormous amount of material and also the enormous amount of resources at my disposal. With a limited amount of time, it is overwhelming.

Things I have tried:

Anatomy Coloring Book (not too high yield for me and not the best use of my time, I've found)
BRS (I hear people sing the praises of BRS, med students included, but not high yield for me so far)
Youtube (Anatomy Zone, Dr. Preddy, Acland, Clinical Anatomy Explained; these channels have saved my life. Super high yield studying for me)

There is so much more material. The TAs give so much great stuff to us and my classmates are always coming across awesome things.

Despite all this at my disposal and despite having done well so far, I find it incredibly difficult to study for anatomy because of the non-linear format of studying. I was so used to just reading a textbook in undergrad and doing well on my exams. For anatomy, I literally attack it from every single angle. Books, videos, flashcards, drawing, converting good videos into MP3/podcast format (thank you Dr. Preddy for your forearm videos) . . .

Doing neck, back, upper extremity, abdomen, thorax, pelvis, and head in five weeks is an insane pace. You have my condolences, that is just stupid. You can't learn tbat mich effectively in that short of a time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty intense. We have lab 3 hours a day, 4 days a week. Maybe it has been more than 5 weeks. School started June 1st.

out of curiosity are you attending SUNY downstate? (judging based on your username)

how you like it there it's one of my target school's for when I want to apply.

Sounds like you are doing OK. I think that feeling is more or less par for the course throughout PT school, just hang in there and you will get through it. At some point it will just "click" Ask some 2nd and 3rd years from your school about their experiences and I am sure you will hear similar experiences to yours.

how you like it there it's one of my target school's for when I want to apply.
I love it here! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Things I have tried:

Thanks for listing some of your resources on here.... I don't start classes at Pacific until the end of August but already I'm pretty nervous about the Anatomy and Physiology course of the program. I did very well undergrad for these courses but I understand that we're now on a whole different level with PT school. So thank you for that list. Very much appreciated.

Oh yeah, those Dr. Preddy forearm videos saved my life when I took gross anatomy! I mainly used BRS for the practice exams at the end of each chapter, to make sure I covered everything I needed to, and sometimes to clarify material I didn't quite understand completely. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Just keep it up and keep breathing! That feeling of being behind all the time is very common, so don't worry. You'll get through it, and all your hard work will pay off in all your future coursework!

Things I have tried:

Download anatomy apps for iPad

Doing neck, back, upper extremity, abdomen, thorax, pelvis, and head in five weeks is an insane pace. You have my condolences, that is just stupid. You can't learn tbat mich effectively in that short of a time.

It's pretty intense. We have lab 3 hours a day, 4 days a week. Maybe it has been more than 5 weeks. School started June 1st.

6 weeks

@Mad Jack just curious....how much time do you guys spend in anatomy lab and whatre the hours per week?

I completely feel your pain! But you will get through. I just had my anatomy final this week. At my school we do anatomy in a 10 week course. The first 1.5 weeks we do histology, then 8.5 weeks of anatomy. We're in lab 6 hours a day 3 days a week and 2 hours one day. I'm in a PBL program so we don't do any lectures. It's a lot to learn on your own! But our professor told us that if there's anything we don't grasp this summer, we'll definitely learn it later on down the road. :)

Hey, seems like we started PT school around the same time.

I definitely felt that feeling of being behind multiple times lol.

Just know you're not the only one!

If you are doing well on exams, you are right where you need to be!

Things I have tried:

My favorite is pneumonics! The dirtier the better. It makes it far easier to remember tons of information. For example: Cranial nerves I - XII with M= motor, S=sensory, B= both. Some Say Marry Money But My Brother Says Big Boobs Matter More. The phrase takes less than a minute to memorize and you'll never forget :)

Reactions: 2 users
^^ brand-new poster... check; same BS content on all posts... check; spam reported... check.
(the post in question has been removed - Mods, thanks for your prompt action!)

Last edited:
Oh yeah, those Dr. Preddy forearm videos saved my life when I took gross anatomy! I mainly used BRS for the practice exams at the end of each chapter, to make sure I covered everything I needed to, and sometimes to clarify material I didn't quite understand completely. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Just keep it up and keep breathing! That feeling of being behind all the time is very common, so don't worry. You'll get through it, and all your hard work will pay off in all your future coursework!

Is the BRS you mentioned the Board Review Science Gross Anatomy textbook? Or does "BRS" stand for something else?