Overwhelmed Non-Trad: The MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCMike11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there, fellow nurse here. Disclaimer that I took the old MCAT in January and so I'm not completely familiar with the new one, but I understand the hair-pulling-out of trying to work and study at the same time.

I did shell out for a prep course (Kaplan on-demand, as I live too far from their centers) and while I know total self-study works for a lot of people I found the course very helpful. It really did focus my attention, give me a beat to study to, and on my real MCAT I scored 8 points higher than my first full-length AAMC test. Your mileage may vary.

As for biochemistry, would it be an option to take the course later in the year and then take the MCAT and apply next year? Have you looked at any prep books to see what level of biochemistry is involved and how comfortable you feel with it right now?

Why would spending a couple thousand on a prep course if you need one be absurd? Dude, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. You're telling me that you're totally fine with being about to drop a quarter million dollars on med school, but you're worried about spending the $2000 so you can get yourself in the position to even be able to apply to med school? Does THAT not seem absurd to you?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would spending a couple thousand on a prep course if you need one be absurd? Dude, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. You're telling me that you're totally fine with being about to drop a quarter million dollars on med school, but you're worried about spending the $2000 so you can get yourself in the position to even be able to apply to med school? Does THAT not seem absurd to you?
I get your point. It makes me nervous in the sense that at this point no one knows which test prep will prove successful for this new MCAT yet.
I've already proven to myself that I'm a meh self-studyer for a test of this magnitude however.

If you have a job you like enough to continue, I'd wait a year to apply. As you said, there's no clear idea of what this first round of testing will produce (in terms of how well the prep companies did, how students who take the exam did, how the sections will be evaluated, etc). Why rush?

Regardless of this year or next, you will need to take biochem to matriculate into an increasing number of schools, so I suggest you take the course before any of the rest. Find a fall biochem class you can sign up for, and take the exam late next year or in the early spring. Then you'll have an established base for a highly emphasized topic, and you can use a prep company or self study the rest. (I'm using PR atm and appreciate the pressure to keep to their schedule given my job/prerequisites that are otherwise distracting me).

I'm only "rushing" to take it this year because my SO is finishing her degree and we will be mobile. One year from now she will need a job, and the likelyhood of her finding a job in a city of the med school lucky enough to select me (... I'll keep telling myself this...) is far better than me getting into one of the 3 universities in a given city. I'd expect many undergrads can't imagine "wasting" a year, prompting their jump into the unknown. I'd take my time if I were you. Another year isn't that long...

If you have a job you like enough to continue, I'd wait a year to apply. As you said, there's no clear idea of what this first round of testing will produce (in terms of how well the prep companies did, how students who take the exam did, how the sections will be evaluated, etc). Why rush?

Regardless of this year or next, you will need to take biochem to matriculate into an increasing number of schools, so I suggest you take the course before any of the rest. Find a fall biochem class you can sign up for, and take the exam late next year or in the early spring. Then you'll have an established base for a highly emphasized topic, and you can use a prep company or self study the rest. (I'm using PR atm and appreciate the pressure to keep to their schedule given my job/prerequisites that are otherwise distracting me).

I'm only "rushing" to take it this year because my SO is finishing her degree and we will be mobile. One year from now she will need a job, and the likelyhood of her finding a job in a city of the med school lucky enough to select me (... I'll keep telling myself this...) is far better than me getting into one of the 3 universities in a given city. I'd expect many undergrads can't imagine "wasting" a year, prompting their jump into the unknown. I'd take my time if I were you. Another year isn't that long...
I like what you are saying. My plan right now is to take UNE self paced online biochem from august until December. At that point I expect that results and reviews from those who have taken the 2015 MCAT will separate the quality test prep courses from one another, then take my exam in the spring and be able to apply as early as possible.

I agree at this point applying with a potential September/august MCAT wouldn't do much for me and later I'd just have to be a "reapplicant".

I would take biochemistry at my local university but its not possible with my current work schedule.

Long story short, Non-Trad full time ICU nurse. I revisted the idea of medical school over and over. I had myself set on PA school, was to apply in May but was visiting with my mentor today and my heart is not in being a PA.

That being said I am looking at studying for the new MCAT and I am absolutely overwhelmed. The 3 months I spent studying for the old MCAT were the most miserable months i've had in college(Never took the old MCAT). I have 2 small children, wife is at home so not working and studying are out of the question..

What do you think med school is going to be like? The first two years are like studying for the MCAT everyday. Not trying to be a Debbie downer but based on your overall situation I wouldn't r/o PA school. If I were you I would talk to some Attending Physicians or residents about your overall situation and get their opinion. Pre-meds and PhDs are not going to be able to tell you what it's like. It's a long and expensive road!

What do you think med school is going to be like? The first two years are like studying for the MCAT everyday. Not trying to be a Debbie downer but based on your overall situation I wouldn't r/o PA school. If I were you I would talk to some Attending Physicians or residents about your overall situation and get their opinion. Pre-meds and PhDs are not going to be able to tell you what it's like. It's a long and expensive road!
I hear you. I've enjoyed my undergraduate science studies, I just have never had an opportunity to focus on school only. I was particularly miserable during MCAT study because : I was taking an 8 hour course load, working full time and had a 8 month old (who I felt like I got to spend no time with).

Once/and if I am accepted to medical school I will no longer work at all, and school and family will by my only focus. PA school would much more appropriate for myself and family at this time. But after this 8 year hump/sacrifice I don't want to be in the same position essentially (desiring a higher scope of practice).

You definitely aren't a downer, I am a realist and welcome any points of view.

Okay some reality checks here IF you think that studying for the MCAT is hard you are going to be in a world of hurt once you enter medicine as the MCAT is literally a walk in the park compared to medical school, the steps and board certification. You need to get your duckies in a row and either start studying hard core for the MCAT or give up on your dream for now. The MCAT is a test that only YOU can master not matter how many prep courses you take it is up to YOU to put in the time and get it done. I sense that you are just not into it and I apologize if this is wrong but that is the sense I get when you question the cost of a prep exam and you have lack of umph to study.

Reactions: 1 user