Overwhelming sense of doom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scdocusc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sitting here reflecting upon my decision to reapply this year. I've been struck with an overwhelming sense of doom. I know I have to keep a positive attitude but I'm kinda bummed out. I took the MCAT two times and scored a 22 both times. That was last year. I got an interview at VCOM and somehow managed to be rejected flat out. I think I applied too late. Anyway, I decided to take the MCAT one more time and volunteer a whole bunch more to exhibit my ongoing desire to be a doctor. By the way, VCOM told me my MCAT was low and I didnt have enough healthcare volunteering. Anyway, I studied hard for 5 months and took the MCAT on the 24th of july. I dont think it went as well as I wanted it to go. I felt I was prepared and had been getting a 26 on each practice. So now I'm sitting here filling out my secondaries and thinking that it was stupid to gamble on the MCAT like that. I'm hoping a praying that it all works out. I'm hoping for some sort of curve on the MCAT but I know I cant depend on it. I'm pretty sure that my whole fate of med school rides on what number pops up on my screen on the 23rd and that scares the living sh** out of me. Anyway, I had to get that off my chest. Is there anyone else out there who's kinda in the same situation or has been in the past?

Members don't see this ad.

You know, try not to sweat it so much. If you have a well-rounded application, things are moving in the right direction. If you're not happy with your MCAT score, do other things to improve your application with regard to volunteering or research. Some people do SMPs but a number of adcom deans told me those programs are weighted much less than the MCAT. I also wouldn't worry about putting the MCAT off for a time to prepare, especially since it's offered many times in a year now. Also, keep in mind that on average, students score 20% lower on the actual exam (based on a number of factors) as compared to their practice exam scores. When I've practiced, if I'm not at least 20% above a higher score, I'll post-pone the MCAT and apply based on my previous scores and because I feel my application has weight in other areas. It's up to you because some people do get lucky on the real thing but the large majority do not. A big part of this whole thing is determination so don't get your self down and keep trudging forward, soldier! :thumbup:

I'm sitting here reflecting upon my decision to reapply this year. I've been struck with an overwhelming sense of doom. I know I have to keep a positive attitude but I'm kinda bummed out. I took the MCAT two times and scored a 22 both times. That was last year. I got an interview at VCOM and somehow managed to be rejected flat out. I think I applied too late. Anyway, I decided to take the MCAT one more time and volunteer a whole bunch more to exhibit my ongoing desire to be a doctor. By the way, VCOM told me my MCAT was low and I didnt have enough healthcare volunteering. Anyway, I studied hard for 5 months and took the MCAT on the 24th of july. I dont think it went as well as I wanted it to go. I felt I was prepared and had been getting a 26 on each practice. So now I'm sitting here filling out my secondaries and thinking that it was stupid to gamble on the MCAT like that. I'm hoping a praying that it all works out. I'm hoping for some sort of curve on the MCAT but I know I cant depend on it. I'm pretty sure that my whole fate of med school rides on what number pops up on my screen on the 23rd and that scares the living sh** out of me. Anyway, I had to get that off my chest. Is there anyone else out there who's kinda in the same situation or has been in the past?

Members don't see this ad :)
apply to DCOM. its fantastic. i got in with a 3.2/22. Good resume, slim clinical experience (just research). apply early and see what all the fuss is about. i think a lot of the hype has some substance behind it. the faculty is solid, the building is incredible, the people are really nice. you cant go wrong applying and checking it out. avg. #'s for dcom this year were 3.3/24.6 MCAT. Close to the national average, which is good for a 1st year school. give it a shot, it worked for me (and I applied in OCTOBER). If you have any questions, let me know. Good luck man!

Don't sweat your brains out over this. Just go ahead and apply. What's the worst that could happen? Maybe you'll get into med school. If not, you can always apply again. That's what happened to me!

I hope you did well on your MCAT. If not...study like hell and take it again!

I get my MCAT score back in three days so I have a strong sense of doom right now. I felt I did horribly, not much better than my diagnostic on which I got a 17. I already submitted my app so I guess I'll just have to see how it goes.

If you already took the test, then honestly... I would stay as far away from studentdoctor until your scores get back. It won't completely take your mind away from the mcat, but it sure doesn't help by being here in the meantime.

After you get your score, then decide asap whether or not you intend to apply for this cycle.

If you absolutely are intent on starting medical school in '08, then strategize for that. APPLY EARLY. Yes, DO programs tend to accept a larger percentage of applicants later in the year, but if you think you're a fringe candidate then you should be one of the very first people to turn in your aacomas.

Otherwise, if you're planning to re-take the mcat... you want to plan for that as well. Address your areas of weakness first. Maybe invest in a prep course and do everything they ask of you (even more than they ask of you... take the next step). $1200 seems like a lot, but its chump change compared to the tuition of your first year of medical school. Look at it as an investment.

Hey don't worry I'm in the same situation. I applied in middle June and received my secondaries for all the schools I have applied to. I take my MCAT Tuesday(nervous as hell :(). I have been doing alright on the practice exams, so its a one shot deal for me also. I really want to attend MSUCOM, or PCOM. Im aiming for at least a 30 because my science and regular gpa are pretty low (3.2, and 3.35).
My question is I got most of my secondaries in july, and still sitting on them, because I didn't have time to work on them while studying for the MCAT. So If I send them in later August, or early september is that late?

Good luck to everyone applying :D

I feel that sense of doom as well. I just feel that my science GPA is going to hurt me.

I applied to LECOM-B, LECOM-P, LMU-DCOM, ATSU-SOMA, ATSU-KCOM, NSUCOM, TUCOM-CA, TUCOM -NV, and TUCOM -NY.

Apply to GA-PCOM we are fairly new and I know several people who got in with those stats. We are new but solid. Technology is amazing, flat screens in the anatomy lab and all lectures on streaming video. I am on rotations now and they have all been solid in good solid hospitals here in ATL. Great lectures from outside Docs in everything from nephrology to neurosurgery. Our neuro professor is on staff at MCG and taught at Cook County in emergency med. and neurosurg.

BMW-

I've taken the MCAT two times already so it's either do or die on this one. We'll see. My EC's are off the chart and I have great LOR's from DO's. I also applied very broadly and I encourage people in the same position to do the same.

I've taken the MCAT two times already so it's either do or die on this one. We'll see. My EC's are off the chart and I have great LOR's from DO's. I also applied very broadly and I encourage people in the same position to do the same.

Im in your boat with MCATs. Do or Die

i absolutely understand how you feel. i have a 3.4 overall gpa with a 3.5 science gpa. just took the mcat and i have a feeling i absolutely bombed it. it was soo weird...took the aug 6th exam. i have some ok ec's i guess. leadershio experience, volunteer. clinical research with a couple of publications......but i have a feeling that i may have even scored lower than 20. ill be lucky to score a 23 on the exam.ughhhhhhhh!!!!!

It feels good to have other people in the same situation as me! I used to visit SDN forums all the time and started to get very overwhelmed. It seems like there are people on here that are everything that I am trying to be and they are getting rejected left and right. I started to feel that if they didn't have a chance of getting in, then what are the hopes for me?!?! It feels good to finally see that i'm not the only one struggling with this! I'm retaking my MCAT this summer. My GPA isn't great, nor was my first MCAT score. Hopefully the second time around will show the ad coms. that I can turn things around and that I'm med school material. Here's to hoping huh?!?

I was talking to a friend that I work with the other day and she said that she found a website called LostInPreMed.org. It's a blog/podcast that is set up for premedders like us. Its just starting off, but it looks pretty good. check it out. his story seems pretty interesting. Check it out, you may like it.

Cheers!

Not gonna say it.... not gonna say it....

haha then i'll just say it...the poster just brought back thread all the way from 2007!

no biggie though, i wish DreamOfADoc best of luck and recommend to check out the underdog thread as it has had the ability to keep me motivated.

Practicing necromancy in preparation for Diablo 3...

haha then i'll just say it...the poster just brought back thread all the way from 2007!

no biggie though, i wish DreamOfADoc best of luck and recommend to check out the underdog thread as it has had the ability to keep me motivated.

Alright...I feel like a complete duchy bag! I wasn't looking at the date when i replied to the post. i'm sorry!

Alright...I feel like a complete duchy bag! I wasn't looking at the date when i replied to the post. i'm sorry!
No worries Dream. We'll pick on you but no harm meant. We truly are rooting for you and hoping for the absolute best for you, at least that's my approach to others. We need as many physicians as we can get in the years ahead.

To put a positive spin, all of the doom and gloom seems to have resulted in the OP's all getting into schools.

scdocusc appears to be at Pikeville
Baccus is now a mod and is at PCOM
EEL08 appears to be at AZCOM
BrianD is at Nova

(All of this is from searching their postings)

Practicing necromancy in preparation for Diablo 3...

+1

Hell yes. I must not allow myself to by this game though - I'll never go to class and fail out of med school completely. The urge is so strong though.