Oxford Graduate Student, 28 MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kac373

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. 3.67 GPA (Rutgers University) I took the MCAT got a 27, retook got a 28. 9 Bio, 10 Verbal (both times) 8 physics, then 9 physics. I am currently an Oxford graduate student studying the history of medicine. I worked as a waitress 30 hours a week during my first two years as an undergrad, then as an EMT, 30 hours a week, for my last two years. I have a ton of experience, journal club, volunteer at planned parenthood, intern for the ACLU, ect. Original research that earned me high honors. Should I apply MD with such a low MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

You can but also apply do to mitigate risk....28 is low for md

If you want to be an MD then why not? Your ECs look great so I'd at least give it a shot.

At the very least apply to in state schools (NJ I'm assuming) and some MD schools known to have more holistic admissions (see below).

Apply early (June) and broadly (25+) for your best chances.

Target schools with MCAT averages of 32 or lower that take a significant number of out state students: Vermont, Albany, Drexel, GWU, NYMC, RFU, Toledo, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, USF (select), UCF, Tulane, Colorado, Wisconsin, etc...

I'd also apply to a few (4-5) DO schools as a backup. You should have excellent chances for DO provided you don't have any red flags in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine for any DO school except AZCOM, and maybe Drexel, Albany, Rush and their ilk. Invest in MSAR Online and aim for the few schools whose median MCAT scores are closest to yours. Pay careful attention to the Acceptance Information tab

Hi. 3.67 GPA (Rutgers University) I took the MCAT got a 27, retook got a 28. 9 Bio, 10 Verbal (both times) 8 physics, then 9 physics. I am currently an Oxford graduate student studying the history of medicine. I worked as a waitress 30 hours a week during my first two years as an undergrad, then as an EMT, 30 hours a week, for my last two years. I have a ton of experience, journal club, volunteer at planned parenthood, intern for the ACLU, ect. Original research that earned me high honors. Should I apply MD with such a low MCAT score?

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have a shot if you apply broadly and early. 28 is low but not impossible for MD

Reactions: 1 user