Oxidative Cleavage of a double bond

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverick56

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is cleavage of a double bond an oxidative process?

Members don't see this ad.

Why is cleavage of a double bond an oxidative process?

It depends on the product compared to the reactant. If you end up with a pair of carbonyls, then you've gained oxygen in place of what used to be bonds to C. There aren't too many other ways to cleave a double bond besides oxidative cleavage, but the reactions of alkenes are not tested, so those other specialty reactions are not relevant. Because oxidation is a testable topic, oxidative cleavage of a double bond is worth knowing in general.

If you end up with a pair of carbonyls, then you've gained oxygen in place of what used to be bonds to C.

One way to oxidatively cleave an alkene is with KMnO4. The result in basic solution is a glycol. In acid, the result is a carboxylic acid. Either way, as BerkReviewTeach said, you've gained oxygen bonds which as a rule of thumb is oxidation.

I use "HLOG" Hydrogen Loss/Oxygen Gain is oxidation and "HGOL" Hydrogen Gain Oxygen Loss is reduction to keep the products of those reactions straight. I don't have a way to connect each acronym to oxid or reduc yet but eventually I'll try to come up with a phrase.