P=MD, the Most Glorious Equation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I give up, these kids are just too damn smart to compete with, in order to get honors I would have to study like 8-10 hrs a day, everyday. Pretty much accepted the fact im destined for uncompetitive low ranked residencies and its time to make peace with it - family medicine in rural Kansas here I come. I wish I was smarter, but genetics are genetics- you can't do much about that.

Members don't see this ad.

@EMDO ... It took me almost 2 months to realize that. I was getting B/C in all my exams... I decided to do experiment on what it takes to get A in med school about three weeks ago.... I studied 8+ hours everyday for my next exam, which was ten days later. I was well prepared for the exam... I then took the exam and I was rank #6 (a solid 'A') for that that exam , but I said f... it. There no way I can keep up that pace for 3 years... I am going back to my B/C and be happy... Let the gunners/nerds get As.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I will never understand this attitude. "In order to get a grade indicating I worked hard, I have to work hard. But I don't want to work hard, because it's hard work!"

People complain too damn much. I'd much rather put in the work now and have it pay off in the long run.

Reactions: 31 users
Yep, I hear you, and it just isn't worth the sacrifice to me. Fortunately i'm not interested in anything crazy competitive, but I would literally have to give up my physical and psychological well-being to keep up with some of these people. Hopefully I can bust my a** on rotations and get a respectable score on the boards to end up somewhere I'm happy. I pretty much expected it to be this way, but I still wish I had some of these peoples genes.

Reactions: 1 users
I will never understand this attitude. "In order to get a grade indicating I worked hard, I have to work hard. But I don't want to work hard, because it's hard work!"

People complain too damn much. I'd much rather put in the work now and have it pay off in the long run.

I think you missed the point. Nobody is complaining about having to work hard.

@EMDO ... It took me almost 2 months to realize that. I was getting B/C in all my exams... I decided to do experiment on what it takes to get A in med school about three weeks ago.... I studied 8+ hours everyday for my next exam, which was ten days later. I was well prepared for the exam... I then took the exam and I was rank #6 (a solid 'A') for that that exam , but I said f... it. There no way I can keep up that pace for 3 years... I am going back to my B/C and be happy... Let the gunners/nerds get As.

This is the same mentality my buddies adopted during first year while I decided to buckle down. Now as fourth years, they are not competitive applicants and have many regrets. I am a very competitive applicant with zero regrets.

Reactions: 10 users
Yep, I hear you, and it just isn't worth the sacrifice to me. Fortunately i'm not interested in anything crazy competitive, but I would literally have to give up my physical and psychological well-being to keep up with some of these people. Hopefully I can bust my a** on rotations and get a respectable score on the boards to end up somewhere I'm happy. I pretty much expected it to be this way, but I still wish I had some of these peoples genes.

Doing well in medical school has little to do with genetics for most people. Sure, every school has someone with a photographic memory who probably aces everything with little effort. But for the majority of people that do well, they do well because they work hard for it, not because they have some kind of genetic advantage.

Reactions: 7 users
This is the same mentality my buddies adopted during first year while I decided to buckle down. Now as fourth years, they are not competitive applicants and have many regrets. I am a very competitive applicant with zero regrets.
I don't know about your buddies... Don't you know about something they call trade-off? Some people can keep that intensity for 3 years; I found out I that I can't after I did it... Good for you if you can!

I don't know how else I'm supposed to interpret "in order to get honors I would have to study like 8-10 hrs a day, everyday."

It's not complaining, it's just accepting defeat and acknowledging that it's not worth the sacrifice. I know that if I study 8-10 hours a day my relationship would fall apart, I would have 0 time to pursue other interests, and my mental state would deteriorate.

Reactions: 2 users
Doing well in medical school has little to do with genetics for most people. Sure, every school has someone with a photographic memory who probably aces everything with little effort. But for the majority of people that do well, they do well because they work hard for it, not because they have some kind of genetic advantage.

I think its a combination of genetics, effort, tactics. There is a saturation point for me where studying more just doesn't do any good. The genetics part is just how much info can your brain hold and for how long until you start to forget. I recognized that when taking the MCAT some people study 8 hrs a day and get 28, some study 8 hrs a day and get 38+. Of course the people who study 8hrs a day and get 38+MCAT scores just think everybody who doesn't score that high is just being lazy and doesn't study lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, if you are at an established U.S. allopathic school, passing doesn't mean you have to do family medicine. Check out the newest charting outcomes. Numbers are numbers, and frankly, its fully possible to be a mid-level student and still specialize in many fields.

I think its a combination of genetics, effort, tactics. There is a saturation point for me where studying more just doesn't do any good. The genetics part is just how much info can your brain hold and for how long until you start to forget. I recognized that when taking the MCAT some people study 8 hrs a day and get 28, some study 8 hrs a day and get 38+. Of course the people who study 8hrs a day and get 38+MCAT scores just think everybody who doesn't score that high is just being lazy and doesn't study lot.

Exactly. There are some people who give it their absolute ALL to get an MCAT score good enough for a medical school acceptance. Others get the score they need with minimal effort. This may not indicate a gap in overall intelligence, but it shows an ability to retain information and do well on multiple choice tests. There's just no way someone can believe that everyone in medical school is capable of the same results when we are all given a very limited amount of time to learn massive amounts of info to regurgitate on exams. I'm sure there are plenty of hard working students who would have no problem putting in the necessary effort to get all A's, if only they had the time to do it.

I felt that way the first couple of weeks too, but in retrospect I think a lot of kids were just cruising on what they'd learned in undergrad. Or maybe they just burned out. Either way, things have swung in my favor. Hang in there kids. Tomorrow is another day.

My goal is to be a non-competitive applicant with zero regrets.

Reactions: 12 users
Forgets grades, focus on boards. That's my philosophy.

Reactions: 3 users

What I think is sad is when people think studying 8 hours in 1 day is somehow difficult. Do you know how you'll be studying for boards? A lot longer than 8 hours a day that's for sure.

For the love of God, this isn't undergrad where everyone is an idiot. You're in freakin' basic sciences in the first 2 years. You have no call responsibility. Your job is to fill in bubbles on a multiple choice Scantron. You control your schedule in terms of going to class (or watching podcasted lectures in your pajamas at home), eating, exercising, sleeping and you get to sit at a nice, clean desk, and study and maybe even conversate and have fun with classmates at specific periods that aren't test weeks.

You have it good for now - in terms of a controlled schedule. OP has been complaining from the very beginning of med school so this isn't really that shocking.

Reactions: 9 users
I give up, these kids are just too damn smart to compete with, in order to get honors I would have to study like 8-10 hrs a day, everyday. Pretty much accepted the fact im destined for uncompetitive low ranked residencies and its time to make peace with it - family medicine in rural Kansas here I come. I wish I was smarter, but genetics are genetics- you can't do much about that.
I totally get where you're coming from. I thought I was pretty special heading in to school, and at this point I'm worried about even passing.

As for the bolded, I'm sure I must be doing something wrong though because I put in around this much time anyway, and to date I have failed 3 of my 6 exams. I'm frantically trying to change up my habits to figure something out but tbh it scares the crap out of me and I feel like I just don't have what it takes to do any better. As much as I love the material and I still feel like I want to do this, med school has been absolutely demoralizing.

I totally get where you're coming from. I thought I was pretty special heading in to school, and at this point I'm worried about even passing.

As for the bolded, I'm sure I must be doing something wrong though because I put in around this much time anyway, and to date I have failed 3 of my 6 exams. I'm frantically trying to change up my habits to figure something out but tbh it scares the crap out of me and I feel like I just don't have what it takes to do any better. As much as I love the material and I still feel like I want to do this, med school has been absolutely demoralizing.
Are you actually studying though? I mean really 8-10 hours and you're actually going thru material? Not on your iPhone, not on Facebook/SDN/Twitter, etc. I mean actually listening to lectures, writing and drawing things out, etc. for all 8 to 10 hours?

Then why are you still so sad in your avatar?

To be fair, studying 8 hours a day is difficult, if you've never, ever done it before. That was a new concept, and something that sounded crazy. In medical school, if I did that every day, I wouldn't have been where I am now(due to burning out and crashing). I spent countless hours studying to make it through...but there is some bias, as I am a very slow reader, and thus probably spent more time going through a packet of notes compared to the average student. For boards, I was pushing 8 hours daily to stay afloat....and that was the worst experience in med school...it was torture, especially cause my attention dropped halfway through. Plenty of times I felt like I wanted to just stop...but had to keep trucking through, since failing was not an option. I do commend the people who CAN study that long for med school exams and especially the boards. For me, daily studying was needed to pass med school classes, but it was broken up into hour sessions 5-6 times a day. That way, I wouldn't have a mental collapse.

In undergrad, I've never experienced the idea of studying everyday, or doing 5 hours of studying when there wasn't a test the next day. I know lots of classmates who barely studied in college who had to revamp their strategy to deal with the insane volume of med school. Really, the first year is an adjustment from the undergrad state of things to the med school state. Both require lots of hard work, but the latter has much more volume...

Reactions: 5 users
It's all good. You get out what you put in. If you want to do something very competitive, 8-10 hours per day may sound like a fair price to pay. If you don't, it probably doesn't.

It's OK to tailor your medical school experience to fit your goals. The problem people frequently encounter though is that when they get to the clinical years, they do a rotation in something they like but are no longer competitive for. Just be careful not to shut any doors you may want to pass through later on.

Stay scared--that's the secret. I made the lowest grades in my circle of friends very early on, but after suffering through the first couple of blocks, I sat down one day and asked myself, "Are these people really that much smarter than me?" Answer: for the most part, no. I figured out what worked best for me (i.e., not group study + zero distractions) and started to honor exams consistently after that. A buddy of mine worked his ass off, and his highest grade for the entire two years was in the upper 80's. Keep trying. You never know.

Then why are you still so sad in your avatar?

We're all cogs in the wheel, man. COGS IN THE WHEEL! Very valuable, good-looking cogs though.

Reactions: 3 users

Oh man, sorry to hear that, does your school have people you can reach out to? I ask the second years for advice all the time they usually know how to study for 1st year classes and can help you tweak your study habits. You've been in school for about a month now right and have had 6 exams?

Every med school has different policy(ies).... My school has mandatory attendance (9-3pm) and you can only miss 15% of lecture... If you miss that 15%+, then the professor can fail you at his/her discretion... These people already have too much power, and I don't want to give them more power than they already have... Therefore, 8 hours for me is the breaking point... There is already one kiddo in my class who quit because he could not get As (though he was passing).... I just don't want to be like him.

The material in med school is not difficult, but the problem is the volume of stuff they require you to know in such a short time...

We're all cogs in the wheel, man. COGS IN THE WHEEL! Very valuable, good-looking cogs though.
Yes, indeed. We all are little cogs in the wheel of CorpMed. 30 years from now, we will all have hospital insignias branded into our skin telling people which hospital system we belong to. I like your avatar name bc 1) the actual story behind it and 2) it reminds me of the song Summer Girls by LFO with the song lyric, "boogaloo shrimp".

What class(es) are you taking now?

Are you actually studying though? I mean really 8-10 hours and you're actually going thru material? Not on your iPhone, not on Facebook/SDN/Twitter, etc. I mean actually listening to lectures, writing and drawing things out, etc. for all 8 to 10 hours?
That's one of the things I've been working on lately, is making sure that 8-10 hours is actually good study time and it's getting better. I try and avoid SDN/facebook during the day. While I do struggle with focusing while watching lectures, I'm able to snap back fairly quickly and rewind to where I was. So essentially yes, I feel like that time is spent actively trying to study.

My biggest vice is taking a quick nap in the afternoon to keep me going through the evening, but I've been getting up by 6 to be at school by at least 7.

That's one of the things I've been working on lately, is making sure that 8-10 hours is actually good study time and it's getting better. I try and avoid SDN/facebook during the day. While I do struggle with focusing while watching lectures, I'm able to snap back fairly quickly and rewind to where I was. So essentially yes, I feel like that time is spent actively trying to study.

My biggest vice is taking a quick nap in the afternoon to keep me going through the evening, but I've been getting up by 6 to be at school by at least 7.
Does your school record lectures? Many times going to class is useless when you can watch the same lecture at home and write down everything. There is also an app that can lock certain frequently used websites while you are studying, I forget the name but you can Google it.

I think you THINK you're studying that long but you're really not. Even then you should be incorporating good breaks.

What class(es) are you taking now?
Biochem, anatomy, clinical medicine, behavioral medicine (will be done on Friday), OMM, and some ethics class that's only met once so far.

Oh man, sorry to hear that, does your school have people you can reach out to? I ask the second years for advice all the time they usually know how to study for 1st year classes and can help you tweak your study habits. You've been in school for about a month now right and have had 6 exams?
Yeah I've talked to various second years, as well as the schools support center which was very helpful. Most of the advice I get from upperclassmen tends to be vague, like "find something that works for you," or just that their habits vary by class.

Yeah we've been in just over a month. I'm nearing the end of a ****storm of ~3 weeks with exams every 3-4 days, so lately the issue has just been keeping my head above water by cramming for whatever my upcoming test is. I realize the hardest part of med school is the volume and limited time, but it's working me over harder than I ever imagined it would

Biochem, anatomy, clinical medicine, behavioral medicine (will be done on Friday), OMM, and some ethics class that's only met once so far.

Yeah I've talked to various second years, as well as the schools support center which was very helpful. Most of the advice I get from upperclassmen tends to be vague, like "find something that works for you," or just that their habits vary by class.

Yeah we've been in just over a month. I'm nearing the end of a ****storm of ~3 weeks with exams every 3-4 days, so lately the issue has just been keeping my head above water by cramming for whatever my upcoming test is. I realize the hardest part of med school is the volume and limited time, but it's working me over harder than I ever imagined it would
What is it with DO schools giving exams every week? I'm noticing a pattern. It's absolutely nuts.

Does your school record lectures? Many times going to class is useless when you can watch the same lecture at home and write down everything. There is also an app that can lock certain frequently used websites while you are studying, I forget the name but you can Google it.

I think you THINK you're studying that long but you're really not. Even then you should be incorporating good breaks.
I only watch the lecture recordings. I knew very early on going to class wouldn't work since my attention is bad I have to rewind when I space out.

So when you say write down everything, do you mean print out the slides and annotate with what the professor says? For subjects that just take a lot of memorizing, I watch the lecture to get a general sense of the material, and I keep a OneNote and type out key things that I may forget and make flashcards of them later.

I realize my time could be more efficient, and it's a work in progress. I do think I put a significant amount of time of good studying in, and I don't think 8-10 hours is absurd or unrealistic, as EMDO alluded.

I only watch the lecture recordings. I knew very early on going to class wouldn't work since my attention is bad I have to rewind when I space out.

So when you say write down everything, do you mean print out the slides and annotate with what the professor says? For subjects that just take a lot of memorizing, I watch the lecture to get a general sense of the material, and I keep a OneNote and type out key things that I may forget and make flashcards of them later.

I realize my time could be more efficient, and it's a work in progress. I do think I put a significant amount of time of good studying in, and I don't think 8-10 hours is absurd or unrealistic, as EMDO alluded.
Yes, so this is what I did. I would print out that day's lecture and then literally write down everything that wasn't on the slide - annotating it like you said. You have the ability to watch it up to 2x speed so this really isn't a problem as profs take pauses, breaths, ummms, etc. Don't "study" at that time, just get the **** down. Then you can commit it to memory, by reading and studying it, or what you kids do these days - Firecracker, Anki, whatever.

I really do think you're not as efficient and study as hardcore as you THINK you may be.

I just finished with biochem... What has worked for me is to write all the pathways many times until I committed them to memory (courtesy of @DermViser )... I also did practice questions ( and I did the same practice questions 2-3 times in between days). The third thing I did was for every chapter I wrote half of page in my note book of stuff on that chapter I have trouble to memorize, then I used about 1/2 hour/day to review these stuff (Boy that works!)... I did not get A for the class but I got a B, which is fine for the time I spent on it... Try that to see if it works for you... Many (emphasis on many) people who are getting As are not any smarter than their classmates; they just have an effective to retain the materials...

Yes, so this is what I did. I would print out that day's lecture and then literally write down everything that wasn't on the slide - annotating it like you said. You have the ability to watch it up to 2x speed so this really isn't a problem as profs take pauses, breaths, ummms, etc. Don't "study" at that time, just get the **** down. Then you can commit it to memory, by reading and studying it, or what you kids do these days - Firecracker, Anki, whatever.

I really do think you're not as efficient and study as hardcore as you THINK you may be.
:laugh:

And I totally agree, I could make much better use of my time. I acknowledge that it's a problem and it's been getting better.

I just finished with biochem... What has worked for me is to write all the pathways many times until I committed them to memory (courtesy of @DermViser )... I also did practice questions ( and I did the same practice questions 2-3 times in between days). The third thing I did was for every chapter I wrote half of page in my note book of stuff on that chapter I have trouble to memorize, then I used about 1/2 hour/day to review these stuff (Boy that works!)... I did not get A for the class but I got a B, which is fine for the time I spent on it... Try that to see if it works for you... Many (emphasis on many) people who are getting As are not any smarter than their classmates; they just have an effective to retain the materials...
I appreciate the advice. Oddly enough biochem is the class I'm struggling the least in. I really enjoy studying it, and both of those tests have been good to me so far. While I've failed tests in other classes, anatomy is the class that's kicking the crap out of me. Too much information, and almost no organization coming from the professors, so I feel like I have to sort through a river of crap to even find out what I'm supposed to be studying.

Sorry @EMDO2018 , I just realized I totally pulled an Ark and hijacked your thread

I appreciate the advice. Oddly enough biochem is the class I'm struggling the least in. I really enjoy studying it, and both of those tests have been good to me so far. While I've failed tests in other classes, anatomy is the class that's kicking the crap out of me. Too much information, and almost no organization coming from the professors, so I feel like I have to sort through a river of crap to even find out what I'm supposed to be studying.

Sorry @EMDO2018 , I just realized I totally pulled an Ark and hijacked your thread
I am starting anatomy in two weeks. Your struggle with anatomy will make me more 'vigilant' about it ... Do you have any specific advice/books etc... for Anatomy @DermViser ?

Its fine, you're not like Ark at all what you're talking about is relevant to the thread. I actually really like med school, its stressful, fast paced, but interesting and challenging.

I am starting anatomy in two weeks. Your struggle with anatomy will make me more 'vigilant' about it ... Do you have any specific advice/books etc... for Anatomy @DermViser ?

Practice questions, do as many as you can get your hands on, -BRS- U Michigan site, and whatever other sources. We finish anatomy in 3 weeks, its been a hell of a ride.

You should study as hard as you can while maintaining a happy life. Any less studying and you are selling yourself short.

P=MD helps calm down neurotic medical students. To actually take it seriously and think that you P=my #1 choice residency is stupid.

I would say first you need a really good atlas. My school had all multiple choice exams, but I know some schools do practicals where a structure is pinned and you have to identify it. For dissections - Rohen's Atlas works really well when you're not in the lab.

For atlas pictures, some people liked Grant's or Netter's (got this free) or Clemente's. I happened to like Thieme's Atlas - it was very easy to look at loved the pictures. Key is to get a good study group and quiz yourself and quiz others on structure. It keeps you on track to get structures down which is what Anatomy is fully comprised of.

If you have the NBME shelf exam then get a good review book and either Pretest or some people like Gray's Anatomy review bc the questions are in the USMLE format (as vignettes): http://www.benwhite.com/medicine/tips-on-nbme-shelf-exams/