P1 Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RphCat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning my first year of pharmacy school in August and I am relocating (out of state) and I have a few questions about working as an intern if anyone could offer their insight.

How soon I can begin to apply for pharmacy intern positions? (My school has us apply and receive our intern license before we start.)
Can I start working as an intern as soon as I get the license?
Current students mentioned having rotations during various times, are the hours we put in paid? Or are they just for experience?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot be paid for rotations.

I would apply as soon as I got my license.

Members don't see this ad :)
So we can apply for and receive an intern license (and begin working as an intern) before we even start pharmacy school? Do we just have to show proof that we have been accepted to a program?

Depending on the program you probably can. I applied as an internal hire to CVS (tech to intern) and started the process early (I got my license before my second interview I think), but I don't know if other places do that/if they really look at your application before you get your license. I'd personally wait as you don't know how slow your state board of pharmacy will be.

So we can apply for and receive an intern license (and begin working as an intern) before we even start pharmacy school? Do we just have to show proof that we have been accepted to a program?
Depends on your state

Reactions: 1 users
I am required to get OR and WA state intern licenses, on the application it does state that I need a letter from my school stating my acceptance. The school said they would be mailing these out for us before school starts. It might be a similar process for your state? I would check out the intern application from the state pharmacy board website.

I'm in GA, so I'll look up the website for the state BOP....

How many hours a week are you guys doing while being a first year?

It's purely depends on the state. Some states you can start as soon as you are accepted, some as soon as you start class, some only after the first year is complete.

Even if you can't start working as an intern you could still apply and work as a tech, they will just change you to intern as soon as you can legally work as one.

How many hours a week are you guys doing while being a first year?

30-40 hours a week in summer, like 1 shift a month during school. Others in my class work anywhere from 4-20 hours a week.