P3 transfer for P4 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omwithme1225

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(SDN newbie - please be nice!)
I'm a P3 enrolled in a fully accredited SOP. I moved to an adjacent state to go to this school with the expectation that I would be able to do the majority of my 4th year rotations in my home state (this was explicitly expressed during P1 year). I recently found out that my school will not be able to do rotations in my home state (something about government red tape, this state put limits on ALL out of state schools experiential rotations). When I applied to pharmacy school I was accepted to an in-state school that was not quite fully accredited but I was wary of that so I opted to choose the out of state school.
Since hearing the news about 4th year rotations, I am curious if I am able to transfer to the in-state school for P4 year? (They have been granted full accreditation) Is there a number of credits that I must take within the institution in order to get a PharmD from them? Is transferring for 4th year totally out of the question? The school I am interested in DOES accept transfers provided there is a valid reason and my current SOP is able to vouch for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a P3 enrolled in a fully accredited SOP. I moved to an adjacent state to go to this school with the expectation that I would be able to do the majority of my 4th year rotations in my home state (this was explicitly expressed during P1 year). I recently found out that my school will not be able to do rotations in my home state (something about government red tape, this state put limits on ALL out of state schools experiential rotations). When I applied to pharmacy school I was accepted to an in-state school that was not quite fully accredited but I was wary of that so I opted to choose the out of state school.
Since hearing the news about 4th year rotations, I am curious if I am able to transfer to the in-state school for P4 year? (They have been granted full accreditation) Is there a number of credits that I must take within the institution in order to get a PharmD from them? Is transferring for 4th year totally out of the question? The school I am interested in DOES accept transfers provided there is a valid reason and my current SOP is able to vouch for me.

to my knowledge, in general, transfers between schools rarely happen as every pharmacy program is different in the way they are structured and organized. Even if they allow you to transfer, it is very likely that you will have to take some classes and/or behind a year at the new school.

But why you want to transfer now ?? if you were some P1 or P2, I might understand. The whole transfer thing, even when you are allowed to transfer, would be a major headache, esp you are doing it this late. Not worth the effort imho.

Since you did not go into the specifics like what school you are at now and what school you want to transfer to and what state you want to do your P4 rotations, it would be hard to answer your specific questions here. Your best bet would be to call the school you are interested in transferring to, to see what they say. They are the one who makes the decision to allow the transfer or not.

At this point, I think that you should finish at your current school and go back to your home state after you graduate. It is so close now, only about a year to go... GL :)

Last edited:
No way they'll allow it. Why would they give you a degree having taken no classes there?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What every one else said. Schools almost never accept transfers, when they do, you are going to have to take a minimum number of classes in order to graduate, so yeah, I would expect you would be behind at least a year minimum. Plus, if the school you want to transfer into is newly accredited, most likely the current school you are attending has a much better reputation. Since you did all your hard work at that school, why would you want to lessen that work by getting a final degree from a school with a lesser reputation?
Besides, you've done 3 years out of state, what is 1 more year?

No way a school will let you transfer for 4th year. Just suck it up and complete your rotations...one more year is nothing.

I don't think most schools accept P4 transfers anyway. I think many have a requirement that at least half your education come from the school (basically having the cutoff be P2/P3 year). I think it's mainly institution specific, but I've not known a school that allows for any transfer and usually there must be a strong reason as to why you want to transfer beyond "I want to live in x location for one year." You can still try and ask, but unless there is some major circumstance like your family member is gravely ill and you must care for them while in school or something I don't see many considering it if they don't have some minimum policy set in place.

This seems pointless. Yeah, lets transfer schools just for the last year of rotations not knowing the new school's administration, advisors, rotation set up, or anything else for that matter. I think transferring in professional school should be limited to only after the first year in EMERGENCY situations, not just because you want to be closer to mommy and daddy. Why would your first school even let you transfer out when they would lose all that tuition money without being able to pick up a new student for p4 year? I always thought tuition from fourth year APPE students were the most profitable for pharmacy schools because your not even there and the school can rake in FREE MONEY. Not sure schools would give that up...

upload_2014-12-6_3-17-54.jpeg

Thanks for the replies! It all makes sense why i wouldn't be able to transfer. I am being told to contact my state senators and delegates to try and get rotations back in that state. But yeah, in the meantime I will be doing rotations in a different state...nbd.