PA or PT chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheKingofSwing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a recent B.A Biology graduate from a small private college in MN. I am interested in both fields and honestly would be happy in either one. I would prefer PA though. I'll start out with my academic stats.
GPA overall: 3.4
GPA science: 3.05
GRE: 157 verbal, 147 quantitative, 4.0AW

I know those are't the best stats, especially science and I am probably going to retake physiology, I got a C and it was animal physiology whereas most schools require human. I also took Ochem 2 and received a D which really pulls my science down. I'm sure I can manage better in physiology as I was in a bad situation when I was previously was taking it so that should raise my science GPA a bit.

My experience consists of 800 hours working as a CNA in an assisted living facility, I'm trying to get a hospital job, as well as 3 PA shadowings for around 20hrs total. I believe I can get 3 letters of recommendation from my supervisors whom are nurses and I already have one from the head of the biology department at my school.

I would like any advice on my chances, if I even have any or any chances in general. Also does anyone know if physical therapy would be easier than PA? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will want an academic and a PA reference. Depending on how many science courses you have taken (I assume quite a few), it will take way more than those two courses to get your sGPA up to competitive levels.

Easier to get into or easier in general? I've read a few PT student blogs and the academics seem quite rigorous. Another thing to keep in mind is how the changes to healthcare and insurance will affect PTs.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
You will want an academic and a PA reference. Depending on how many science courses you have taken (I assume quite a few), it will take way more than those two courses to get your sGPA up to competitive levels.

Easier to get into or easier in general? I've read a few PT student blogs and the academics seem quite rigorous. Another thing to keep in mind is how the changes to healthcare and insurance will affect PTs.

Would it be beneficial to take just any science classes I can in order to raise my science GPA? I did the math and if I take physiology and receive an A it will raise my CASPA science GPA to 3.1. Also what of my GRE scores? Should I try to take the test again?

Yes, it would. Look at the FAQ on Caspa and it will tell you what classes count as science courses. It includes things like EMT, nutrition, and public health courses in addition to the obvious bio, chem, and physics.