PA programs in general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gamerxx13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I graduated in Biology at UC Riverside. I am thinking about applying to PA program. I had a three of questions.
Accredited/non accredited
First, accredited or not accredited. Does it matter? I am looking at this site, http://www.arc-pa.org/acc_programs/index.html. Those are the only accredited programs?
Second, Clinic Hours.
I was wondering, how does this work. Every school requirements it seems are different. I have none at the moment. It seems like general it is 1000-2000 but i read some programs are only 50. Is there a place to find the requirements instead of finding each individually? Also which schools have the least amount of clinic hours, considering I have none, I should find the ones that have the least amount so I dont have to work for 2-4 yrs just to apply!
Third,
If I need to get some clinic hours in, where do I go to get those clinic hours in? Where do I find places that offer programs, that will count as my clinic hours.
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I graduated in Biology at UC Riverside. I am thinking about applying to PA program. I had a three of questions.
Accredited/non accredited
First, accredited or not accredited. Does it matter? I am looking at this site, http://www.arc-pa.org/acc_programs/index.html. Those are the only accredited programs?
Second, Clinic Hours.
I was wondering, how does this work. Every school requirements it seems are different. I have none at the moment. It seems like general it is 1000-2000 but i read some programs are only 50. Is there a place to find the requirements instead of finding each individually? Also which schools have the least amount of clinic hours, considering I have none, I should find the ones that have the least amount so I dont have to work for 2-4 yrs just to apply!
Third,
If I need to get some clinic hours in, where do I go to get those clinic hours in? Where do I find places that offer programs, that will count as my clinic hours.
Thanks for your help!

1.)Accreditation is important VERY(need it to take the PANCE). Now if its a new program that is not accrediated yet I would consider going if it was attached to an established medical school......but be prepared to have to deal with the kinks that come with a new program.
2.)I don't know of any place where you can find the hours requirement I think its on individual schools website. Also not to be rude but it appears that you are trying to be lazy a little bit(see your comment I bolded). I did my 2k hours while going to school FT and working a day job. Also how much research have you done into PA school?
3.)Again this is variable. Some schools require paid experience and others will count unpaid(I was the free guy at the hospital that did the scut type stuff lol. I ilearned a lot about lab medicine/micro and respiratory therapy from those departments while I was working there though). Again I would contact the schools your interested in. Also I wouldn't go to a PA school that doesn't take the clinical hours seriously they appear to be the weaker programs out there....

And my turn for a question to you-
How old are you if you don't mind me asking and did you think about med. school first and then used PA school as a back up.

Sorry if I seem mean but I have bene in the know a few years know. Good luck.

Hey Makati2008. Thanks for your help. Well I am 24. I did think about doing a med school, but I think for the person I am a PA program will be better. I am not trying to be lazy, I just want to get my PA career going, and 2k hrs is a lot of hours, roughly 2 yrs if I am not mistaken? There are a few programs that I am looking at, USC, Loma Linda, and Touro. I know the requirements are pretty demanding. Hm, well my GPA isnt the greatest, it seems compared to applicants for those programs. Is there any way of doing a post back program first, or a masters to get into PA program? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, to start, is there a way to get to find out where there are paid programs, or just job shadowing. It seems like all those programs require 1k-2k hours. I need to act quickly if I want to apply within a year or two.

Also, to start, is there a way to get to find out where there are paid programs, or just job shadowing. It seems like all those programs require 1k-2k hours. I need to act quickly if I want to apply within a year or two.
bad gpa and no hce? it's going to be more than a yr or 2.
pa school admissions are fairly competitive....many programs have 1000 applications for 100 interviews for 30-40 spots...
if you are serious about this you need to get some medical training as an emt, cna, medical asst, etc and then work for a yr or 2 while taking courses to improve your gpa...you are probably 3 yrs min from applying if you start right now...

Thats fine, I am looking at that. I was wondering how I can first knock out the clinic hours? How do I find like a medical asst job, or emt job, or cna? Thanks.

I was wondering how I can first knock out the clinic hours? How do I find like a medical asst job, or emt job, or cna? Thanks.
first, get the training, then find the job. look in local newspapers, check with the HR depts of local hospitals, check with local ambulance companies, etc