PA School Acceptance Rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJames

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a masters-level social worker with apx 7 years field experience (3 post-masters) and am interested in going back to school to become a PA with a focus on psychiatric medication. However, I am rather concerned about the acceptance rates of these programs. Virtually every program appears to have the same 3-5% acceptance rate. As an MSW, I have very little background in hard sciences. In order to complete the basic prereqs, I'll need 1-2 years of additional schooling in many particularly rigorous classes. I am worried about investing year/years of time and money into prereqs, only to be denied because the programs are just really competitive. I am also worried that my lack of hard-science background and educational background in social/behavioral sciences will weaken my application. Is there a such thing as a "safety" or at least "safer" school in PA applications? I would sure feel more confident if I at least had the hope of a fallback, even if it was a less-desirable school/location.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

YUP. with 180 (current ) pa programs and more opening every month, if you target schools that recruit students like you and apply to 5 you will likely get 2-3 interviews and at least one acceptance.
check out www.physicianassistantforum.com for a better pa forum than sdn with > 20,000 Active posters