PA school transition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

free99

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,

I can't say I frequent this part of the forum with any regularity, so I apologize if there is a thread on here that already answers this question or if creating a "chance me" thread is a faux pas. I'm posting for my girlfriend, who is interested in pursuing PA school as a non-traditional student.

She's a licensed social worker (LMSW) and has been working at a large mental health agency for about two years providing mental health and substance abuse therapy. Before working there, throughout her masters, she worked part time in direct patient care in a group home for people with developmental disabilities. She's had many other internships/exposure to a variety of health care/education settings, and has well over the 1000 hours requested by most PA programs. Is this direct patient care what schools look for? Or are they hoping to see more medically intensive care (EMT, med tech, LPN, etc.)?

Her grades are good (3.5 from undergrad (psych degree), 3.95 in her MSW program), but would have to take a handful of prereqs (she's never taken bio 1/2, a&p 1/2, or chem 1/2). Obviously she'll need to ace those courses and do well on the GRE to have a good chance at schools. Do most schools want to see these courses completed at a 4-year university?

I am a dental student, and would like to stay in the north east when I graduate -- which programs should we hone in on for her degree? Do you folks have any suggestions on how to develop her application to be as strong as possible?

Thanks for any insight you can provide - we're new to this and appreciate any info!

Members don't see this ad.

@free99 I am not sure that the GRE has bio and chem on it... I think it has basic math, reading and writing... Your GF should be ok IMO as long as she can ace the prereqs...