PA student, applying to medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Letizia

Letizia
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, maybe someone has posted something similar on this site and if so, I will apologize in advance for being repetitive.
I am a 23 year old student, I am currently completing my Masters to become a Physician Assistant. I thought this career would be a great choice, but the more time I spend doing my clinical rotations (especially in the OR), the more I wish I went to medical school. I do enjoy what I am able to do as a PA, but would like to do more. Therefore, I intend on taking the MCAT in April and apply to medical school entering Fall 2013. I am still going to complete the PA program and earn my BS/MS in December of 2012.
I started off my undergraduate years with less than mediocre grades, I had a B's, C's, D's, and I think a couple of A's. Beginning my Junior year I really started to buckle down and did not score below a B+. I currently hold a 3.6 overall GPA (all undergraduate). My graduate GPA is a 4.0. My questions are:
1. Do you think my initial years of bad grades will hurt my chances to get into medical school?
2. Do you think I will have a hard time studying for the MCAT exam, seeing as I haven't done Gen Chem or Organic for over 2 years? I looked at some of the material the other day and I remember doing it, but wouldn't be able to explain it to someone if they asked.
3. Do you think my wanting to go to medical school after PA school will benefit me? or hurt me? (possibly make it look like I don't know what I want to do).
Thank You so much for any responses.
Oh, also, I have participated in research in Switzerland (a family member of mine lives there), and will be doing a research thesis for the PA program. Do you think this will suffice in applying to a research heavy school?
Hope someone can help me! :)

Letizia

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, maybe someone has posted something similar on this site and if so, I will apologize in advance for being repetitive.
I am a 23 year old student, I am currently completing my Masters to become a Physician Assistant. I thought this career would be a great choice, but the more time I spend doing my clinical rotations (especially in the OR), the more I wish I went to medical school. I do enjoy what I am able to do as a PA, but would like to do more. Therefore, I intend on taking the MCAT in April and apply to medical school entering Fall 2013. I am still going to complete the PA program and earn my BS/MS in December of 2012.
I started off my undergraduate years with less than mediocre grades, I had a B's, C's, D's, and I think a couple of A's. Beginning my Junior year I really started to buckle down and did not score below a B+. I currently hold a 3.6 overall GPA (all undergraduate). My graduate GPA is a 4.0. My questions are:
1. Do you think my initial years of bad grades will hurt my chances to get into medical school?
2. Do you think I will have a hard time studying for the MCAT exam, seeing as I haven't done Gen Chem or Organic for over 2 years? I looked at some of the material the other day and I remember doing it, but wouldn't be able to explain it to someone if they asked.
3. Do you think my wanting to go to medical school after PA school will benefit me? or hurt me? (possibly make it look like I don't know what I want to do).
Thank You so much for any responses.
4. Oh, also, I have participated in research in Switzerland (a family member of mine lives there), and will be doing a research thesis for the PA program. Do you think this will suffice in applying to a research heavy school?
Hope someone can help me! :)

Letizia
1) If your undergrad cGPA is really a 3.6 on a 4.0 scale including all those poor grades, then you are competitive for MD schools since you had an upward grade trend at the end.

2) You'll have to relearn the material. This can be done on your own, or you could get assistance with a formal prep class to help you. Have you taken Physicis yet?

3) I think it would look better if you were employed as a PA for at least a little while, which would be a great source of clinical experience.

4) Research heavy schools tend to be highly-competitive stats-wise. If you can get the stats, such schools tend to expect substantive research. Would you have 1.5-2 years of research experience in Switzerland? Would you also have the expected leadership? BTW, about a year of research is the average for those applying across all med schools.

Catalystik:

1. Yes, my UG GPA is really a 3.6 on a 4.0 scale. Actually, its a 3.63...I retook some classes and switched my undergraduate major to Sociology my Jr year, and I did very well in those classes.
2. I have not taken physics yet :(. I am planning on taking it this Spring (a community college in my area offers it and it would be two nights a week). Do you think any of the upper level classes I took will substitute for not taking Physics (I have taken: Anatomy & Physiology 1&2, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Gross Anatomy, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, Clinical Medicine....etc.) If need be, I have no problem taking Physics, just curious.
3. I will have a 6 month gap between graduation and starting medical school in Fall 2013 (if I get accepted). I am planning to work as a PA during this time period. I could see how more experience could be an asset to my application, but do you think I should still try to apply for Fall 2013?
4. That's what I thought.... No, upon receiving my MS I will have only completed roughly 1 year of research (not all same topic, different projects).
5. Another question.... Am I a dreamer to want to apply to a school such as Harvard? After all this hard work and effort I have put into my grades and education I think I might have a chance. Any thoughts?
Thanks again :)

Catalystik:

1. Yes, my UG GPA is really a 3.6 on a 4.0 scale. Actually, its a 3.63...I retook some classes and switched my undergraduate major to Sociology my Jr year, and I did very well in those classes.
2. I have not taken physics yet :(. I am planning on taking it this Spring (a community college in my area offers it and it would be two nights a week). Do you think any of the upper level classes I took will substitute for not taking Physics (I have taken: Anatomy & Physiology 1&2, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Gross Anatomy, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, Clinical Medicine....etc.) If need be, I have no problem taking Physics, just curious.
3. I will have a 6 month gap between graduation and starting medical school in Fall 2013 (if I get accepted). I am planning to work as a PA during this time period. I could see how more experience could be an asset to my application, but do you think I should still try to apply for Fall 2013?
4. That's what I thought.... No, upon receiving my MS I will have only completed roughly 1 year of research (not all same topic, different projects).
5. Another question.... Am I a dreamer to want to apply to a school such as Harvard? After all this hard work and effort I have put into my grades and education I think I might have a chance. Any thoughts?
Thanks again :)
1) Just to be clear: if you retook and your school replaced any of your classes, AMCAS will still include both grades in your GPA calculation, as they use their own rules.

2) None of those classes include the material you'd need to gain in a Physics class. Some people have rarely self-taught the Physics concepts, but there are only a handful of schools that don't require the class, so you might as well get the solid grounding you'd need to do well on the MCAT.

3) That experience won't be on your application when you submit. You can let schools know your plan in Secondary essays and in update letters, and hope it makes a difference. Your situation is unique enough that I cannot predict how it will look to all adcomms if you haven't used the degree. I won't discourage you from applying anyway. But you'd better have a very convincing explanation for the shift in focus for your career.

5) It never hurts to dream, but to have a chance among all the other excellent candidates, along with a high MCAT score, your application would need to be something special. So it's always a good idea to include more realistic schools as well.

BTW, are you strong in nonmedical community service? If you combine substantive service to those with poor resources and strong leadership, it's possible to get by with less research at the big name schools.