Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the chances of getting accepted if you aren't from the west coast and don't have any ties? I hear this school has regional bias that is why I am asking.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the chances of getting accepted if you aren't from the west coast and don't have any ties? I hear this school has regional bias that is why I am asking.
85% are from the region

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the call for a spot in this years class!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats!! That is exciting! Did they tell you the number you were as far as on the deferred offer list?
If you were asking me this question, then they told me i was in the top 10, but they wouldn't tell me the specific number. If you weren't asking me that then just ignore this lol

A while back an email was sent out stating that the top 30 people on the waitlist would be ranked and then notified that they were in the top 30. Has anyone received an email informing them that they are in the top 30? Also was perhaps that email that was sent out only pertaining to the deferred acceptance people?

I got an email yesterday informing me I'm in the top 30 of the wait list and I will receive another email if I move into the top 20 and top 10. I'm not sure if this ranking accounts for deferred acceptance list spots--I'm guessing not--which means I'm more in the 40's or 50's in terms of seats that need to open up for me to get a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a call last week and was offered a seat in this year's class (was originally a deferred acceptance). I declined yesterday...went with another program. Good luck!

Got a call last week and was offered a seat in this year's class (was originally a deferred acceptance). I declined yesterday...went with another program. Good luck!

Thank you for letting us know and good luck in your studies!

I got an email yesterday informing me I'm in the top 30 of the wait list and I will receive another email if I move into the top 20 and top 10. I'm not sure if this ranking accounts for deferred acceptance list spots--I'm guessing not--which means I'm more in the 40's or 50's in terms of seats that need to open up for me to get a spot.

That is the same understanding that I have of the current process and where they are right now... here's hoping to more and more people will give up spots as we head into the summer months!

Did they tell you by any chance where you were/ what number on the deferred acceptance list?

By the time they knew more about rankings in May, I was pretty much decided on the other program so I didn't bother calling for more specifics. However, I do know someone else who was told they were ranked "in the top 30" who hasn't been pulled off the deferred list yet to my knowledge. I think this "top 30" list is ahead of the waitlist. Regardless, this person also isn't planning on going to PNWU if pulled into the class this year so yes, I think there is going to be more movement as people decide on other schools or decide to go with the deferred offer over the one this year. When I initially called after getting the deferred offer, I was told that "many" students from that pool would likely get offers for this years class. Also, I don't know if this is relevant because I'm not quite sure how they've ranked their deferred candidates, but I was at the last interview date (I had submitted my secondary about two months before it) and was offered a deferred slot and later an acceptance. So there is definitely movement and hope for those students that got the deferred offer at the later interview date!

Found out the current "top 30" list includes those left on the deferred list as well as us plain old waitlisters, so it is an accurate measure of seats that need to open up for us to get a spot.

Hey all! I just got my acceptance into this year's class but have decided to continue with my deferred status. So, that should open up a spot for this year's class for someone :)
Good luck to all of you starting this year and I look forward to meeting you all next year.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all! I just got my acceptance into this year's class but have decided to continue with my deferred status. So, that should open up a spot for this year's class for someone :)
Good luck to all of you starting this year and I look forward to meeting you all next year.

Do you happen to know where on the waitlist you were?

Sorry, just saw June 2 you were in the mid teens. Now I'm more confused. Mike stated in an email sent June 9 that they had already made 19 calls to fill 14 seats. If you were in the mid teens, why didn't you get called then? Unless maybe you are mid teens on the combined deferred/waitlist? Do you happen to know?

I got my acceptance on the 5th of June; I just took a while to decide to keep my deferred status.

what do you guys think the odds are of the waitlist picking up a bit? Is 2nd part of June plus July usually considered a high shuffle period? or more of a drawdown?

Last year they made 54 calls to fill 33 seats. As of June 9 they had filled 14 with 19 calls. There is still a ways to go to match those numbers from last year, though it will be at a slow steady trickle between now and the start of school I reckon. Buckle in for the long haul if you wanna pack a uhaul.

Last edited:
Last year they made 54 calls to fill 33 seats. As of June 9 they had filled 14 with 19 calls. There is still a ways to go to match those numbers from last year, though it will be at a slow steady trickle between now and the start of school I reckon. Buckle in for the long haul if you wanna pack a uhaul.

Thank you for the info!

Do any current students know when the last person was pulled off the waitlist last year?

When you are offered an acceptance, do you have the option to defer a year? Or is it yea or nay?

Received an e-mail today notifying me that I am "in the top 20 of the PNWU-COM Waitlist."
Seems there's movement :D :D

Reactions: 1 users
Received an e-mail today notifying me that I am "in the top 20 of the PNWU-COM Waitlist."
Seems there's movement :D :D

Did the email say anything else? Any other news? Thank you for sharing with us!

When you are offered an acceptance, do you have the option to defer a year? Or is it yea or nay?
Usually deferments are only allowed for extenuating circumstances that occur, making it unable to start medical school that year.
Or something I have seen this year is that a school over extends acceptances and then gives deferred acceptances to students.

Did the email say anything else?
That if an offer for a seat for 2014 opens up then I would be telephoned; a decision would be needed thereupon.

It also says if I have made other plans, and would like to withdraw my app, then I should let them know so other students may be bumped up the list. Personally, I have not. But, I would like to take a shameless moment to encourage those 19 before me to keep the school informed if they intend on withdrawing ;)

That if an offer for a seat for 2014 opens up then I would be telephoned; a decision would be needed thereupon.

It also says if I have made other plans, and would like to withdraw my app, then I should let them know so other students may be bumped up the list. Personally, I have not. But, I would like to take a shameless moment to encourage those 19 before me to keep the school informed if they intend on withdrawing ;)

Awesome thank you for sharing! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Awesome thank you for sharing! Would you mind sharing your stats?
Primary 11/7. Complete 1/27. Invite 2/11 for last day 4/11.

32 MCAT, 3.02 ugGPA (3.11 sGPA), and at the time of completion about 3.82 true SMP GPA. Got around a 32-35 / 50 on my interview, and a 40 (average 8/10 per interviewer) is competitive.

Based off the comments I thought it was interesting that Mike could 100% accurately guess I was nervous as all get out (comments being like "thoughts don't connect", "all over the place", "doesn't explore anything in depth"). This was as we went over the strengths, weaknesses, and ways to improve upon my application for 30-40 minutes a couple months after I was waitlisted. Nice guy, to put it modestly.

32 MCAT, 3.02 ugGPA (3.11 sGPA), and at the time of completion about 3.82 true SMP GPA. Got around a 32-35 / 50 on my interview, and a 40 (average 8/10 per interviewer) is competitive.

Based off the comments I thought it was interesting that Mike could 100% accurately guess I was nervous as all get out (comments being like "thoughts don't connect", "all over the place", "doesn't explore anything in depth"). This was as we went over the strengths, weaknesses, and ways to improve upon my application for 30-40 minutes a couple months after I was waitlisted. Nice guy, to put it modestly.
You get a score for interviews huh. I always figured that was qualitative. How did you get that information?

You get a score for interviews huh. I always figured that was qualitative. How did you get that information?
This was as Mike and I went over my application. Each mini-interviewer scores 1-10 and can leave comments. Most days I think there's 8? MMI stations but on my day there were 5, so I could score anywhere from 5 to 50.

My guess is that it gives both the subjective and "objective." Or at least, qual- and quantitative. So like, my case, I didn't do hot on the interview numerically, but the comments do give the air that it was nervousness and not that I was pompous or a jerk etc. This paragraph is just my guess though.

It seems like every school has moved to some kind of numerical score for the interview - probably assuming it adds to the legitimacy of the process. It's funny because no matter how numerical they make it, it's ALWAYS subjective (which isn't always a bad thing).

The Primary 11/7 was that when you turned in your primary or was that when it was verified by aacomas?

The Primary 11/7 was that when you turned in your primary or was that when it was verified by aacomas?

11/7 was when PNWU finally received my primary. I think I submitted and paid on 10/6.

I have a few questions for current PNWU students. 1) I'm reviewing the catalog and it says there is a summer term. But I was under the impression that we don't have to take classes in summer.
2) what is their policy about attendance? I thought attending the lectures is recommended and we can listen to the recordings. But apparently a form needs to be submitted to the office of student affairs to get their permission. What if we get sick?!!

Thanks.

Waitlist update: Received top 10 email July 1. Accepted today. Hope this info helps ease waitlist jitters for others.

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlist update: Received top 10 email July 1. Accepted today. Hope this info helps ease waitlist jitters for others.

Thank you for reporting in! Just curious did you know where you were on the top 10 list when you were listed on July 1st? Just trying to get an idea for how much movement overall there has been since beginning of July.