Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a few questions for current PNWU students. 1) I'm reviewing the catalog and it says there is a summer term. But I was under the impression that we don't have to take classes in summer.
2) what is their policy about attendance? I thought attending the lectures is recommended and we can listen to the recordings. But apparently a form needs to be submitted to the office of student affairs to get their permission. What if we get sick?!!

Thanks.
I believe summer term is for remediation. Also, the catalog says we need to submit a form for an excused absence; this is for all mandatory events not regular lecture. Mandatory events include CILs, guest speakers, labs, small group discussions, and other events listed on the syllabus.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe summer term is for remediation. Also, the catalog says we need to submit a form for an excused absence; this is for all mandatory events not regular lecture. Mandatory events include CILs, guest speakers, labs, small group discussions, and other events listed on the syllabus.
What is remediation? I talked to Hope she said we need to fill out a form for an excused absence even for regular lectures!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few questions for current PNWU students. 1) I'm reviewing the catalog and it says there is a summer term. But I was under the impression that we don't have to take classes in summer.
2) what is their policy about attendance? I thought attending the lectures is recommended and we can listen to the recordings. But apparently a form needs to be submitted to the office of student affairs to get their permission. What if we get sick?!!

Thanks.

As far as attendance is concerned: It was "highly encouraged" with some bonus points, freebee test questions, and quizzes during second year CIL's. The hands on stuff like OMM and clinical skills is just plain required. There would be no other way for them to grade you because it's basically participation points. Then there is the pure fluff course called Community Doctoring. It's a known waste of time and back in the day you could miss a certain percentage of the lectures and get away with it. However, I remember missing just one such lecture on a day that nearly everyone else also decided it was a good idea to go ski or whatever. All of a sudden I had to write a 3 page paper on some random topic to "make up" for the day that I missed even though I had not missed any other days of that course. Basically, you can miss stuff, but be prepared to jump some extra hoops that someone in power creates to make themselves feel very good... about forcing future physicians to jump more hoops? I'm still confused about why administration gets off on making busy work, but they have you over a $200,000 barrel so you basically just do what you're told until you get that diploma.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as attendance is concerned: It was "highly encouraged" with some bonus points, freebee test questions, and quizzes during second year CIL's. The hands on stuff like OMM and clinical skills is just plain required. There would be no other way for them to grade you because it's basically participation points. Then there is the pure fluff course called Community Doctoring. It's a known waste of time and back in the day you could miss a certain percentage of the lectures and get away with it. However, I remember missing just one such lecture on a day that nearly everyone else also decided it was a good idea to go ski or whatever. All of a sudden I had to write a 3 page paper on some random topic to "make up" for the day that I missed even though I had not missed any other days of that course. Basically, you can miss stuff, but be prepared to jump some extra hoops that someone in power creates to make themselves feel very good... about forcing future physicians to jump more hoops? I'm still confused about why administration gets off on making busy work, but they have you over a $200,000 barrel so you basically just do what you're told until you get that diploma.
That's annoying! I feel like going to school to attend lecture is just waste of time. I think there should be live lectures, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon as least in this school.
Thank you so much for responding to my post!

Hello, I was just offered a spot off of the waitlist! I'm going to have to lose my deposit to the other school though... but that's worth staying close to home :)

Before I confirm with Hope, can anyone tell me how much the seat deposit is?

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I was just offered a spot off of the waitlist! I'm going to have to lose my deposit to the other school though... but that's worth staying close to home :)

Before I confirm with Hope, can anyone tell me how much the seat deposit is?

Whelp, I'm in! Doesn't feel real. Before hanging up on the phone I had to double check I wasn't getting punk'd.

Reactions: 2 users
Whelp, I'm in! Doesn't feel real. Before hanging up on the phone I had to double check I wasn't getting punk'd.
Congrats. Now the fun begins! Hope you are up on your vaccinations they are due today. . At least for everyone else

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats. Now the fun begins! Hope you are up on your vaccinations they are due today. . At least for everyone else
Haha they are up to date. But, hopefully I'll be given some leeway given my acceptance letter is due tomorrow on the 16th ;)

First, congrats and good luck to everyone who started this Fall; I hope you're all doing well. I'm also certain that you're all very busy, so any help with the following questions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be a first-year student at PNWU next Fall. Since only students can access a weekly class schedule, I was wondering - for all of you who started in August - what is the weekly schedule like? Are there days where it's only lecture i.e. days you can skip and just view recorded lectures? How many days per week would you say it is mandatory to be on campus? (I'm sure it varies, but on average?) I'm curious because I live in the Tri-Cities (1 hour drive from Yakima), where I have access to free housing for the foreseeable future and I would much rather live for free and commute 2-3 days/week if possible. Thanks guys.

This year monday and tuesday and friday are all lecture... but there is one class each day in the morning with a mandatory quiz. You can skip the rest of the day if you wish. There are labs on Wednesday and Thursday. .. also mandatory

This year monday and tuesday and friday are all lecture... but there is one class each day in the morning with a mandatory quiz. You can skip the rest of the day if you wish. There are labs on Wednesday and Thursday. .. also mandatory
The current plan is for next year to begin the new integrated curriculum. All bets are off on first year lecture schedule. I understand a number of the current first and second year class are doing the commuting thing from TriCities and even Issaquah. I would invest in a good car and studded tires for winter.