Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for current students: When would you suggest accepted students start looking for housing for the fall. Is it hard finding an apartment near by? Also if we are possibly interested in having a roommate, what would be the best way to go about finding one.

Members don't see this ad.

Kaura are you part of the class Facebook page yet? There are a few current students who are answering questions on there. We are under PNWU class of 2018 if you haven't joined it yet.

Question for current students: When would you suggest accepted students start looking for housing for the fall. Is it hard finding an apartment near by? Also if we are possibly interested in having a roommate, what would be the best way to go about finding one.

If you find the answers, would you mind posting them for all of us to see :). I'm also considering finding a roommate for cheaper rent and prefer housing within walking distance but terrace heights townhouses appear to be solely multibedroom apartments

Members don't see this ad :)
Housing in Terrace Heights seems to be harder to come by. There are some places that are great if you want roommates. Vue Forty Two apts and Terrace Heights Townhomes have waitlists. So if you are interested in those it's best to get in touch with them soon. A student on the FB page shared a house that was for rent and another that was looking for female roommates. If you aren't part of the class FB page it is a good source of info.

I have received several automated emails from other schools that sounds about the same. If you are interested in PNWU then by all means get your app in. Although there is one interview day left at this point, March 8th.

I got an email today for an April 11th interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an ii today for April 11 as well! It is a ways off but an opportunity is an opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I am also looking for housing in a relatively safer location, simply because I have kids. Any suggestions? How is Selah?

I am also looking for a safer / family oriented location for my children as well. I would love any suggestions from people who have lived in the area.

I am also looking for housing in a relatively safer location, simply because I have kids. Any suggestions? How is Selah?
I am also looking for a safer / family oriented location for my children as well. I would love any suggestions from people who have lived in the area.

The class Facebook page is an excellent source of information and current students answer questions fairly quickly. It seems like Selah, West Valley, and Terrace Heights are safer areas to live. These were suggested by students. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the head of PNWU's Security is a great source of information about safe neighborhoods.

So excited to meet everyone interviewing on March 8! I do have a question, though- have any of you flown into Seattle (or plan on flying into Seattle) and then made the drive to Yakima? I live in the middle of nowhere so flights to Yakima are ridiculously expensive and will end up take 20+ hours, so I'm not quite sure what to do. Any input would be appreciated :)

So excited to meet everyone interviewing on March 8! I do have a question, though- have any of you flown into Seattle (or plan on flying into Seattle) and then made the drive to Yakima? I live in the middle of nowhere so flights to Yakima are ridiculously expensive and will end up take 20+ hours, so I'm not quite sure what to do. Any input would be appreciated :)

Priceline bid a rental car in Seattle and drive. Use your phone for GPS.

Priceline bid a rental car in Seattle and drive. Use your phone for GPS.

Phones have GPS?! Ha. :)

Just wanted to see if others have also made the drive for their interviews- hoping the weather and roads won't be too problematic in early March. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also ride the bus from Seattle to Yakima. I think it's $60 for round trip.
Good luck.

I also got an II for April 11th. :) See you soon, PNWU!

HIIII!!! Nice to meet a fellow interviewee!
I'm flying into Seattle Thursday night and driving out to Yakima Friday morning.
I'm planning to bring my running shoes and have a casual jog around the town.
Seems like a beautiful town! I'm really excited!

I'm flying into Seattle Thursday night and driving out to Yakima Friday morning.

hi! :) really looking forward to meeting everyone soon. would anyone be interested in meeting up on friday for dinner or anything?!

i'll also be driving from seattle to yakima, so if anyone needs a ride to the interview on saturday morning, let me know!

????? The two preceding pages of this thread have been discussing the high crime rate...

????? The two preceding pages of this thread have been discussing the high crime rate...

Pht.. I'm from St. Louis and spent 4 years of college in Cleveland.
Yakima ain't got nothing on me.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj45jggj/2-st-louis/
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj45jggj/9-cleveland/

Every city has a good and bad part.
A lot of times, mere numbers can be misleading.
St. Louis is a great town to live in unlike some sources try to push people away.

Of course, I haven't been to Yakima yet and gonna find out how it is there myself.
The best I could get so far are some pictures of beautiful mountains and sceneries.
And let's just assume Yakima is not such a great town like you're suggesting.
Isn't that why we're trying to go there in the first place? to improve the living conditions of its citizens?????

on a side note:
And what does 'beautiful' have to do with crime rate anyway?
Napoli is not beatiful because of the high crime rate? That's the birthplace of Mafia we're talking about. Of course there are crazy areas in Napoli, too. But like I said, every city has a good and bad part. Numbers are just numbers.

Last edited:
And let's just assume Yakima is not such a great town like you're suggesting. Isn't that why we're trying to go there in the first place? to improve the living conditions of its citizens?????

Unless you're planning to do a ton of volunteer work, no. Med school doesn't give you much of a chance to give back to the community in that way. The first two years are book work primarily. Then the next two are relatively de-centralized with people going all over the NW for rotations. Even at the end of med school, you'll have precious few skills that would make much of a difference to one person, let alone a whole community. As a physician (post-residency), you may have more opportunities to improve living conditions through community leadership, but that's way down the road.

on a side note: And what does 'beautiful' have to do with crime rate anyway?

It's just an odd statement in the context of a thread full of people commenting on its high crime rate.

Unless you're planning to do a ton of volunteer work, no. Med school doesn't give you much of a chance to give back to the community in that way. The first two years are book work primarily. Then the next two are relatively de-centralized with people going all over the NW for rotations. Even at the end of med school, you'll have precious few skills that would make much of a difference to one person, let alone a whole community. As a physician (post-residency), you may have more opportunities to improve living conditions through community leadership, but that's way down the road.

Yes, you are right. I understand for most of med school years we're married to books and busy with rotation schedules.
I realize 4 years of med school will be more of training and education although I plan to volunteer on my spare times.
But then how do med schools such as PNWU achieve their mottos to serve local patients and communities?
Wouldn't a lot of students choose to match residency in somewhere else if they didn't care after all?
I guess this is why they pick people mostly from PNW areas but is there any huddling mechanism by the schools to increase the number of physicians in the area?

It's just an odd statement in the context of a thread full of people commenting on its high crime rate.
I just made this statement because you bold fonted and quoted mine: "Seems like a beautiful town!"
But I'm really curious though I'm gonna find out soon. Are you implying it's not?
Yakima valley website photos gave me the impression that Yakima is a small rural town with pretty views.

Last edited:
I just made this statement because you bold fonted and quoted mine: "Seems like a beautiful town!"
But I'm really curious though I'm gonna find out soon. Are you implying it's not?
Yakima valley website photos gave me the impression that Yakima is a small rural town with pretty views.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) Yakima is pretty much a high mountain desert. The mountains around are beautiful, but I wouldn't necessarily say Yakima itself is known for being an extraordinarily beautiful town. Coming from a big city though you may see it differently than those of us who are coming from similar looking areas :)

But I'm really curious to find out though I'm gonna find out soon. Are you implying it's not?

Yakima has it's moments, especially in the spring when the hills are a little greener. I lived in the Tri-cites (1 hour east of Yakima, looks more or less the same) for 4 years and spent a lot of time in Yakima or passing through it to get to the mountains. The mountains west of Yakima are beautiful and there is lots of skiing and hiking to do in the Cascades. Having grown up in the woods on the east coast, I didn't care much for the brown hills but being so close to the mountains makes up for it. Yakima has a couple bad spots but overall isn't that terrible.

During your visit I recommend trying out Miners, I always loved eating there on my drive back from the mountains after a long day of hiking. It's not cheap for a fast food place but you definitely get your money's worth. Good Luck on your interview.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) Yakima is pretty much a high mountain desert. The mountains around are beautiful, but I wouldn't necessarily say Yakima itself is known for being an extraordinarily beautiful town. Coming from a big city though you may see it differently than those of us who are coming from similar looking areas :)
I totally agree that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". It all depends on your perspective.
Yakima has it's moments, especially in the spring when the hills are a little greener. I lived in the Tri-cites (1 hour east of Yakima, looks more or less the same) for 4 years and spent a lot of time in Yakima or passing through it to get to the mountains. The mountains west of Yakima are beautiful and there is lots of skiing and hiking to do in the Cascades. Having grown up in the woods on the east coast, I didn't care much for the brown hills but being so close to the mountains makes up for it. Yakima has a couple bad spots but overall isn't that terrible.

During your visit I recommend trying out Miners, I always loved eating there on my drive back from the mountains after a long day of hiking. It's not cheap for a fast food place but you definitely get your money's worth. Good Luck on your interview.

I'm also from the east coast (well.. I'm from many different places. I've been moving around a lot) so I know what you mean.
It's really not like I'm expecting to see eye-popping views and breath-taking scenery. I was just under the impression that Yakima is a small, cute town with nice, homey people.
And to me that IS beautiful.

Thank you for your tip on Miners. I'll def try this restaurant. Also thank you for your good luck wishes!

I totally agree that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". It all depends on your perspective.

I'm also from the east coast (well.. I'm from many different places. I've been moving around a lot) so I know what you mean.
It's really not like I'm expecting to see eye-popping views and breath-taking scenery. I was just under the impression that Yakima is a small, cute town with nice, homey people.
And to me that IS beautiful.

Thank you for your tip on Miners. I'll def try this restaurant. Also thank you for your good luck wishes!

I visited a couple weeks ago. definitely get yourself a miner burger

Beside the crime, I would say Yakima is a pretty neat town if you enjoy being in the outdoors. There are great places to go fishing, hunting, backpacking, camping, pretty much anything outdoor related. I plan to do a lot of fishing and hunting on my off time as a way to relax and to feed my poor self, that is if I ever get off the wait list this may!!!!

Just finished interviewing here.
PNWU seemed like a school really dedicated to students and center their focus on our success in matching residency.
They have test every 4 weeks in the same format as the boards. I think this is really going to help us do well in comlex.
It had a little bit of 'prep school for residency' vibe but they are carrying out their missions offering a lot of volunteer work through Union Gospel Mission Medical Clinic.
Moreover, I liked the homey, cozy atmosphere and how they embraced everyone.
There were probably ~120 candidates here today (morning and afternoon sessions combined). Ennis Hope says all these candidates are competing for 20 spots left. The rest will be considered to be on the wait-list.

I am new on SDN but I just heard back today that I got a deffered acceptance! Yay, no more applying again!!

I'm going to sound like a total noob, but can someone explain what a deferred acceptance is? Is this is the same as being on a wait-list?

I'm going to sound like a total noob, but can someone explain what a deferred acceptance is? Is this is the same as being on a wait-list?
A deferred acceptance is both a waitlist position and a guaranteed seat for the next years class. You can be called off the waitlist for the incoming class or choose to take the seat for the next year. I was offered this last year and took the deferred acceptance.

I am new on SDN but I just heard back today that I got a deffered acceptance! Yay, no more applying again!!

Was there a reason why they gave you a deferred acceptance? From what I know PNWU only give out deferred acceptances under certain circumstances.

Was there a reason why they gave you a deferred acceptance? From what I know PNWU only give out deferred acceptances under certain circumstances.

Well I was kind of obsessive and checked the student self service portal and that is what it said. I am still waiting for them to send the official email. So they may explain why it was a deferred acceptance then? Otherwise I have no idea!

Well I was kind of obsessive and checked the student self service portal and that is what it said. I am still waiting for them to send the official email. So they may explain why it was a deferred acceptance then? Otherwise I have no idea!
I check the portal thing. Still says interview. .. that mean they haven't gotten to it yet?

I check the portal thing. Still says interview. .. that mean they haven't gotten to it yet?
Yes I would think so. Once they make a decision it should change pretty quick. I bet they will send out emails tomorrow along with the acceptance calls. Good luck! :)

Yes I would think so. Once they make a decision it should change pretty quick. I bet they will send out emails tomorrow along with the acceptance calls. Good luck! :)
Sure enough. Got the call less than 3 minutes after this. Going to yakima

Hey did you send your letter of intent? If so, who did you write it out to?
Sorry I haven't checked this forum until now. But yeah I did write a letter of intent. I addressed it to the administrative office at 111 University Parkway Suite 202. I've looked all over their website and that was the only thing I could find related to admissions. Then I just emailed to Hope. I hope this helps!

Hey Zaderules,

I think anything that you can do that will show that you are committed to not only PNWU, but also to a future career in medicine will help you out. I called the Monday after my interview and let them know I had scheduled more shadowing. Your application is never complete until you get that call, so keep doing things to improve it! Good luck!
Thanks! I keep trying!

Just finished interviewing here.
PNWU seemed like a school really dedicated to students and center their focus on our success in matching residency.
They have test every 4 weeks in the same format as the boards. I think this is really going to help us do well in comlex.
It had a little bit of 'prep school for residency' vibe but they are carrying out their missions offering a lot of volunteer work through Union Gospel Mission Medical Clinic.
Moreover, I liked the homey, cozy atmosphere and how they embraced everyone.
There were probably ~120 candidates here today (morning and afternoon sessions combined). Ennis Hope says all these candidates are competing for 20 spots left. The rest will be considered to be on the wait-list.
So does that mean they don't straight up decline anybody they interview?

Question:
I am currently at a 1 year Master's Program for Biomedical Sciences. I would really like to let them know about my Master's Program, but I don't finish until May, and that's when the ranked waitlist comes out... How should I approach this situation? Thanks for reading and helping me out!

Just talked to Hope. She said the class is full and the next interview will be for waitlist only. So far there are 100 people on the waitlist and only 30 will be accepted. My odds just got really slim :(

Sorry I haven't checked this forum until now. But yeah I did write a letter of intent. I addressed it to the administrative office at 111 University Parkway Suite 202. I've looked all over their website and that was the only thing I could find related to admissions. Then I just emailed to Hope. I hope this helps!

Thanks! I keep trying!

So does that mean they don't straight up decline anybody they interview?

Question:
I am currently at a 1 year Master's Program for Biomedical Sciences. I would really like to let them know about my Master's Program, but I don't finish until May, and that's when the ranked waitlist comes out... How should I approach this situation? Thanks for reading and helping me out!
Are you in Bozeman? Im just finishing the one here. I talked about it in my interview and explained how it was to strengthen what I felt were some of my weaknesses. They must have liked it because they let me in. I wrote thank you letters to my interviewers which I feel should be a common courtesy, but dont think anyone else thought of it. Also apparently the students are asked to write emails of support for anyone they have had positive (or negative) interactions with. So if you know anyone there I would ask a favor.. or get to talking with some current students.. it shows dedication and connection either way

Just talked to Hope. She said the class is full and the next interview will be for waitlist only. So far there are 100 people on the waitlist and only 30 will be accepted. My odds just got really slim :(

I am withdrawing from PNWU tomorrow, so one spot will open up. Good luck everyone!!

I thought you really liked the school?

I do really like the program, but I was accepted to a school that I think is better for my family and career goals. I spent a week going over the programs, and decided with the other. If I was not really interested in Oncology I think I would have stayed with PNWU. I think that the University of Washington will have more to offer if I stick with that route, and also offers me the option of returning to MT for my 3rd and 4th years. We also get to stay in MT for the first year, and stay close to our families.

Good luck everyone!

I do really like the program, but I was accepted to a school that I think is better for my family and career goals. I spent a week going over the programs, and decided with the other. If I was not really interested in Oncology I think I would have stayed with PNWU. I think that the University of Washington will have more to offer if I stick with that route, and also offers me the option of returning to MT for my 3rd and 4th years. We also get to stay in MT for the first year, and stay close to our families.

Good luck everyone!

In that case I'm happy for you!! I would have done the same thing too. If I were you I'd withdraw after april it's up to you though ;)

In that case I'm happy for you!! I would have done the same thing too. If I were you I'd withdraw after april it's up to you though ;)

ya that might be a good idea. I did get the results for the back ground check and nothing odd showed up there so it is clear (as it should be lol). I was waiting to get the email so I could accept the offer, and got that today, but I might wait until I get the full packet in the mail. I just want to open my spot as quick as possible, so someone is not having to find a place and move last minute.

ya that might be a good idea. I did get the results for the back ground check and nothing odd showed up there so it is clear (as it should be lol). I was waiting to get the email so I could accept the offer, and got that today, but I might wait until I get the full packet in the mail. I just want to open my spot as quick as possible, so someone is not having to find a place and move last minute.

I talked to hope and she said the 2014 class is full. So any open spot will be given to students in May when the waitlist list goes out. Did you already pay for y our deposits?

I talked to hope and she said the 2014 class is full. So any open spot will be given to students in May when the waitlist list goes out. Did you already pay for y our deposits?
Yes.....sad..I could really use that money back to move and pay down some debt. I was accepted back in January, so was required to pay that along time ago.

This is really depressing. I was told in December they only waitlist about 50... sounds like that changed.