Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After digging into this school a bit, this is one of my top choices. It's in a pretty neat city that reminds me of my own city (The Palm Springs of Washington!). The fact that they have their core rotations well established is great too. As a CA resident I have a pretty slim chance here but I would be ecstatic to serve the communities in the PNW.

Reactions: 1 user
How favorable are they now to OOSers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any ideas when they will start to send out secondaries etc?

One of my top choices, as it's in my hometown. How long did it take for everyone's primary to get verified? I was a bit behind and didn't submit mine until June 17th.

One of my top choices, as it's in my hometown. How long did it take for everyone's primary to get verified? I was a bit behind and didn't submit mine until June 17th.
I submitted on 6/25 and still not verified yet. Luckily, PNWU still has not sent out secondaries yet!

Are you verified already?

You'll be verified Thursday.

Has anyone gotten a secondary yet? I submitted AACOMAS on June 3rd and was verified shortly after, but still no word.

I submitted AACOMAS on 6/3, and received a secondary on 7/15. I'm sure they are just sending them out in batches, but I'm from the PNW, so maybe that's relevant. Personally, I could use a little reprieve from the pile of essays I have to write this weekend. They only ask that you write a one page essay about what specifically inspired you to apply to PNWU.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's really all you have to write for the secondary? :D

Thankfully, pretty much. They ask for the usual demographic info, and ask you re-enter activities, but no other essays.

Got my secondary last week. OOS (from the midwest) non-trad.

anyone have the prompts for the secondary ? they would be:welcome:

Does anyone know how we submit the essay portion of the supplementary? There seems to be no place to upload the essay

Does anyone know how we submit the essay portion of the supplementary? There seems to be no place to upload the essay

After you submit the application you can pay, and also upload the essay.

I submit the app and loaded my essay but never received a confirmation email. did you guys?

Not a popular thread... a good sign!;) Applying here from Oregon! Hey everyone!

After whole story of PNWU withdrawing an acceptance from a deaf student in this class because he was deaf, and the Court ordering PNWU to reinstate him, doesn't this school leave a bad taste in your mouth? They speak of compassion, except when it comes to one of their own.

In my opinion, There are plenty of great DO schools in California and Oregon that are probably more deserving of your 4 years and $275,000.

Just my uninformed opinion guys. All the negative criticism towards me will most undoubtedly be deserved.

After whole story of PNWU withdrawing an acceptance from a deaf student in this class because he was deaf, and the Court ordering PNWU to reinstate him, doesn't this school leave a bad taste in your mouth? They speak of compassion, except when it comes to one of their own.

In my opinion, There are plenty of great DO schools in California and Oregon that are probably more deserving of your 4 years and $275,000.

Just my uninformed opinion guys. All the negative criticism towards me will most undoubtedly be deserved.

Did you just hunt down this thread after posting in the other one in the general DO forums? A bad incident with admissions doesn't mean the entire school is a shady ****hole. The fact that they have a bias toward northwest applicants really opens up a good opportunity for those in the area. I certainly will be applying here when I can since I'm from the area. I wouldn't lessen my chances of getting accepted to medical school just because of one incident.

Did you just hunt down this thread after posting in the other one in the general DO forums? A bad incident with admissions doesn't mean the entire school is a shady ****hole. The fact that they have a bias toward northwest applicants really opens up a good opportunity for those in the area. I certainly will be applying here when I can since I'm from the area. I wouldn't lessen my chances of getting accepted to medical school just because of one incident.

thanks for reading my post.

You may be right; this was just one incident not representative of the school. And I hope you get into this school.

thanks for reading my post.

You may be right; this was just one incident not representative of the school. And I hope you get into this school.

There are definitely more reasons to be wary of attending this school than this one incident. Here are but a few.... Multiple presidents leaving in the short time the school has been open (one suing the school after leaving), the Dean leaving, the school being okay with a RN as a primary preceptor on a surgery rotation, nearly going bankrupt and almost losing the building due to some shady **** going on behind the scenes, and now this. Keep your eyes open and don't go in blindly.

There are definitely more reasons to be wary of attending this school than this one incident. Here are but a few.... Multiple presidents leaving in the short time the school has been open (one suing the school after leaving), the Dean leaving, the school being okay with a RN as a primary preceptor on a surgery rotation, nearly going bankrupt and almost losing the building due to some shady **** going on behind the scenes, and now this. Keep your eyes open and don't go in blindly.

Ah. It's a pattern. It makes sense now. They probably just didn't have any money to accomodate a deaf student. Normally, a good administration would network, sign up for grants, and get loans to make it happen. I guess that wasn't the case here.

But they do have a good insurance policy. Their lawyers are hard at work.

is it worth doing the secondary with a 28 MCAT , 3.8 cGPA, 3.66 sGPA being from NYS?

is it worth doing the secondary with a 28 MCAT , 3.8 cGPA, 3.66 sGPA being from NYS?

With that gpa/mcat I'd normally say yes, but having attended presentations by this school and hearing how much they emphasize acceptance of NW students I'd say don't bother UNLESS you have strong ties to Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, etc. Might I reccomend the new Touro in Middletown? They'd probably snatch you up... :)

Wait, do you HAVE the secondary? If so then yes, fill it out. They pre-screen there, so if you got a secondary they saw something in your application they liked!:clap:

With that gpa/mcat I'd normally say yes, but having attended presentations by this school and hearing how much they emphasize acceptance of NW students I'd say don't bother UNLESS you have strong ties to Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, etc. Might I reccomend the new Touro in Middletown? They'd probably snatch you up... :)

How do I apply to that?

How do I apply to that?

To apply to Middletown you have to submit an application for Touro-Harlem, and then it's my understanding that on the secondary you get to specify if you want to go to Harlem or Middletown. I'd double check that though, that's just how I understood it when I looked into it.

I submit the app and loaded my essay but never received a confirmation email. did you guys?

I submitted as well, and never got any kind of confirmation email. I looked all over the website trying to find some sort of notification that my submission even existed and couldn't find anything. I'm going to be calling tomorrow to confirm.

Also, I am from the area as well ( a little more west) and from a smalls town and am looking at this school as one of my top choices. Is it really as shady as people are saying? Or is it a generally good school still just going through some growing pains and ironing out the wrinkles?

I submitted as well, and never got any kind of confirmation email. I looked all over the website trying to find some sort of notification that my submission even existed and couldn't find anything. I'm going to be calling tomorrow to confirm.

Also, I am from the area as well ( a little more west) and from a smalls town and am looking at this school as one of my top choices. Is it really as shady as people are saying? Or is it a generally good school still just going through some growing pains and ironing out the wrinkles?
I'm applying here as well and I really hope it's just some rough patch that they ran into!

I called on Friday and Hope said that there is no confirmation. She also said that they are busy getting things set for the first years and they won't start processing the incoming secondaries until that's done later this week probably. I think once they process the secondary we get an email with access to a portal to check the status. Also, they aren't interviewing until Oct. and she said I was really early (submitted Fri.) Hope that helps :)

Also, they aren't interviewing until Oct. and she said I was really early (submitted Fri.) Hope that helps :)

Awesome good to know :)
I'm glad that Fri is "really early". That is when I got mine in too. Hopefully it bodes well for the both of us. The earlier the better right? Although I must say waiting till Oct. for interviews is a little rough. :(

how long after applications being released did you guys receive secondaries? Im applying from Oregon

how long after applications being released did you guys receive secondaries? Im applying from Oregon

It took a long time! AACCOMAS released on 7/3/14 and I didn't get the secondary until 8/1/14. And I didn't receive any emails in between either. Kinda happy about it though b/c like I said above it is still really early for this school. For some other schools I feel like I'm behind!

It took a long time! AACCOMAS released on 7/3/14 and I didn't get the secondary until 8/1/14. And I didn't receive any emails in between either. Kinda happy about it though b/c like I said above it is still really early for this school. For some other schools I feel like I'm behind!

Thats good to know! Ya hearing other people getting IIs making me feel rushed too!

My application was also released on 7/3, and I received the supplemental 8/1.

Hey guys I have a silly question for you all. My old computer had a hard drive failure. I went to log in and submit my secondary but for the life of me I can't find my user name anywhere in the emails from PNWU. Do you guys remember if you made your own user name or was it assigned to you. I would rather ask here first instead of calling and finding out it was something simple and looking like a fool.

Hey guys I have a silly question for you all. My old computer had a hard drive failure. I went to log in and submit my secondary but for the life of me I can't find my user name anywhere in the emails from PNWU. Do you guys remember if you made your own user name or was it assigned to you. I would rather ask here first instead of calling and finding out it was something simple and looking like a fool.

I couldn't find a login name/pw anywhere either. I don't remember making one, and I have no indication of one in any email from them. I remember just clicking the link in the email, and the secondary just popped up. I had saved my application, and they sent an additional email with a link I had to use to finish, but there was no login or anything.

I couldn't find a login name/pw anywhere either. I don't remember making one, and I have no indication of one in any email from them. I remember just clicking the link in the email, and the secondary just popped up. I had saved my application, and they sent an additional email with a link I had to use to finish, but there was no login or anything.
Yeah that is what I had thought, but for some reason it wasn't opening up. Freaked out a little bit, and now it is all good. Submitted and hoping for a little love!

Yeah that is what I had thought, but for some reason it wasn't opening up. Freaked out a little bit, and now it is all good. Submitted and hoping for a little love!

I've though a little more about this school. You think that having an MD LOR vs a DO one will be largely disadvantageous? I know the prefer DO but, haven't had any that could write me a LOR.

I've though a little more about this school. You think that having an MD LOR vs a DO one will be largely disadvantageous? I know the prefer DO but, haven't had any that could write me a LOR.

I think if you have any other ways of showing to the school that you are interested in DO (received OMM, interest in preventive care, rural medicine etc ) then you will be fine.

So I turned in my secondary a few days ago and payed already but I didn't add my essay yet. My essays now finished up but I can't find where I'm supposed to send it? I never created a login so I'm kind of confused. Did any of you run into this problem?