Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone speak on their experiences at this school? I know it is a little late to be applying, but I really just don't know that much about it besides what is on the website. I am a little concerned with how isolated this school is...can someone speak on living in Yakima? Any information on what people liked/didn't like would be helpful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone speak on their experiences at this school? I know it is a little late to be applying, but I really just don't know that much about it besides what is on the website. I am a little concerned with how isolated this school is...can someone speak on living in Yakima? Any information on what people liked/didn't like would be helpful.

Thanks!

This was discussed ad nauseam in last year's thread.

Hi all. I applied here two years ago during my senior year of undergrad and was rejected post-interview. Not a shock--I tried too hard at the interview and made a donkey of myself. I was complete on 11/3 this year and received an offer for an interview in the last round in March. Hope called me today to ask me to come for the 11/15 round instead. I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm a local re-applicant, so I thought you might like a few pointers.

1) If you go to school very close to PNWU, you're more likely to get an interview. My post-bac program is about 45 minutes away and has a signed contract with PNWU guaranteeing that our students will receive an interview if they have a minimum GPA and MCAT (3.0+ and 26+, I believe). Other state schools (particularly on the east side of WA) seem to have similar agreements or, at the very least, receive similar expediency in terms of application review. Heritage University and CWU also have one year resume-enhancement type programs in place that guarantee an interview. Ex. my app had a 3 day turn around from completion to interview offer. OOS/OOA applicants wait much longer.
2) Getting your interview moved up is also somewhat related to where you live. Hope told me she called me because I told her in my wait-list request email that two hours was enough time for me to be presentable and at the school. Basically, if you want to have a better chance of getting moved up, make sure you let them know you can do last minute changes since the assumption is that applicants living closer aren't likely to be locked into travel plans.
3) If the MMIs are as hard now as they were then, I second an earlier recommendation of reading into student, patient, and physician medical ethics. Because holy crap.
4) They really like non-traditional students--like, a lot guys. My father and I ran into the former interim president a few months back, who told me that my two years of healthcare work experience would be the biggest selling point in my revamped application. He was firm about the importance of hands on industry experience. Helps a lot with the MMI scenario questions too, as I ran into similar issues as a CNA.

P.S. Hope mentioned she had an opening in AM and PM groups still, so it's worth shooting her an email if you want to come this Saturday!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I applied here two years ago during my senior year of undergrad and was rejected post-interview. Not a shock--I tried too hard at the interview and made a donkey of myself. I was complete on 11/3 this year and received an offer for an interview in the last round in March. Hope called me today to ask me to come for the 11/15 round instead. I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm a local re-applicant, so I thought you might like a few pointers.

1) If you go to school very close to PNWU, you're more likely to get an interview. My post-bac program is about 45 minutes away and has a signed contract with PNWU guaranteeing that our students will receive an interview if they have a minimum GPA and MCAT (3.0+ and 26+, I believe). Other state schools (particularly on the east side of WA) seem to have similar agreements or, at the very least, receive similar expediency in terms of application review. Heritage University and CWU also have one year resume-enhancement type programs in place that guarantee an interview. Ex. my app had a 3 day turn around from completion to interview offer. OOS/OOA applicants wait much longer.
2) Getting your interview moved up is also somewhat related to where you live. Hope told me she called me because I told her in my wait-list request email that two hours was enough time for me to be presentable and at the school. Basically, if you want to have a better chance of getting moved up, make sure you let them know you can do last minute changes since the assumption is that applicants living closer aren't likely to be locked into travel plans.
3) If the MMIs are as hard now as they were then, I second an earlier recommendation of reading into student, patient, and physician medical ethics. Because holy crap.
4) They really like non-traditional students--like, a lot guys. My father and I ran into the former interim president a few months back, who told me that my two years of healthcare work experience would be the biggest selling point in my revamped application. He was firm about the importance of hands on industry experience. Helps a lot with the MMI scenario questions too, as I ran into similar issues as a CNA.

P.S. Hope mentioned she had an opening in AM and PM groups still, so it's worth shooting her an email if you want to come this Saturday!
I gave up my interview slot on 11/15 early this morning. Anyone interested should attempt to move their interview date up. Good luck everyone.

Last, for the ethical MMI interview questions, here are a few things to know about.

Know about what you do when you know a colleague is cheating, know what you should do if you find out cheating is the norm, .

HAHA, this is an interview topic now? That's rich. You can thank the first three classes for that one. Those pre/post pharmacology tests really made an impression.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted two weeks ago from Oct. 18th interview.
Stats: cGPA 3.46 sGPA 3.29 Post-bac 3.93 mcat(p,v,b) 10,11,10
Anyone from Spokane, Eastern Washington, or Pullman? PM me. Looking to get a head start on networking and making new friends.
Have my interview at UW tomorrow morning, and if that doesn't go well I'll most likely be accepting my offer here! I'll let you know how it goes and maybe we can get some networking going ;D

Have my interview at UW tomorrow morning, and if that doesn't go well I'll most likely be accepting my offer here! I'll let you know how it goes and maybe we can get some networking going ;D

Sounds good. As for myself, I didn't bother applying to any MD schools because I wanted to learn OMM in addition to everything else.

Just some of the few things to note about PNWU are the buildings are all new and the facilities are top notch. I didn't notice this before but on the day I interviewed was a beautiful day and as we walked between buildings the view of the nearby mountains were absolutely stunning. If you are going to master anatomy, I would say PNWU is it. Not only is PNWU anatomy lab just the best I have seen anywhere, the anatomy curriculum is year long. The last thing I would say in addition to the anatomy lab is that I saw the best demonstration of OMM at PNWU and the best OMM lab room I have seen anywhere. You combine the best anatomy lab with the best OMM lab, I think one will know their anatomy pretty well after their 1st year. There's a lot more I can say but maybe wait to tell the rest.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity how often does the committee meet? Ive read a few posts where people get complete and get ii three days later ?

Hey everyone,

Hope recently sent me an email saying to expect an ID and password for the self service portal, but I haven't heard anything back in regards to either of those. Should I email them in regards to it? I submitted my secondary sometime last week with all the paperwork finished same day that I received it. I looked into their program a few months back while I was talking to Michael Higgins and I really like the idea of the 3rd and 4th year (and made that evident on my statement).

My stats are a little on the low side though, so what are the odds that I'll get a ii?
cGPA 3.18, sgpa 3.0, MCAT 25.

My numbers are easily the weakest part of my application and I'm really hoping my above average work experience/philanthropy/8 LORs and disadvantaged status will find me some love here. I have nearly 6 years of clinical work experience.

Hey everyone,

Hope recently sent me an email saying to expect an ID and password for the self service portal, but I haven't heard anything back in regards to either of those. Should I email them in regards to it? I submitted my secondary sometime last week with all the paperwork finished same day that I received it. I looked into their program a few months back while I was talking to Michael Higgins and I really like the idea of the 3rd and 4th year (and made that evident on my statement).

My stats are a little on the low side though, so what are the odds that I'll get a ii?
cGPA 3.18, sgpa 3.0, MCAT 25.

My numbers are easily the weakest part of my application and I'm really hoping my above average work experience/philanthropy/8 LORs and disadvantaged status will find me some love here. I have nearly 6 years of clinical work experience.

It took me about a week to get a portal access account.

My portal just changed from Comittee to Interview...am I going to get a phone call tomorrow????>_< hope so...

cancelled my March 28th, 2015 interview at PNWU! I hope it goes to a deserving applicant!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone who interviewed over the weekend (11/15) know anything about the AdCom meeting? I heard they were going to meet Tuesday and we'd have answers by the end of the week...did anyone hear similar or different? Thanks!

Does anyone who interviewed over the weekend (11/15) know anything about the AdCom meeting? I heard they were going to meet Tuesday and we'd have answers by the end of the week...did anyone hear similar or different? Thanks!

That's what I heard, but they also said not to panic if we didn't because some of their admissions staff is out of town. Good luck!

Application complete today. 3.68 cGPA, 3.69 sGPA, 31 MCAT (10/11/10). Looking for some late app cycle love.

That's what I heard, but they also said not to panic if we didn't because some of their admissions staff is out of town. Good luck!
Thanks for the info...great--MORE waiting! :/

Welcome to the party! Nice stats! Where you from?
Thanks!

I attend WSU, but I am originally from a small town in Eastern Washington.

You applying as well? Accepted/attending?

Last edited:
how come you're turning down western and Lucom? Both great schools
I did turn down LUCOM, it had amazing facilities but it was just too far away. I haven't turned down Western. I don't consider continuing my app cycle to be turning down any schools.

PNWU is a great school too!

Last edited:

I just emailed Ms. Ennis that I would be available to fill a cancellation, which might be a little presumptuous since my application was only complete today. But you never known.

I just emailed Ms. Ennis that I would be available to fill a cancellation, which might be a little presumptuous since my application was only complete today. But you never known.
Having met her in person I don't think she'll see it that way. She's a very sweet person from what I could tell, and made everyone feel happy to be there. If it's any comfort I'm from Oregon and I received an interview invite two days after submitting my secondary with worse stats than you, so I think they would likely offer you that spot anyway. :clap:

Is it even worth going to the late March interviews? I really want to go here but I have to fly in from the other side of the country.

Is it even worth going to the late March interviews? I really want to go here but I have to fly in from the other side of the country.
I would like to know this too. I am going for sure but I am really worried if all the seats will be taken by March... :(

I would like to know this too. I am going for sure but I am really worried if all the seats will be taken by March... :(
All we can do is hope that they don't make final decisions until April

This is the wrong attitude to have. I would take anything and everything right up until you get an acceptance letter. People on this board sometimes forget that getting into med school is a very competitive process. The unfortunate truth is that most of you will not get in this year. One has to remember that there were almost 3 applicants for every 1 seat available last year, so for every 1 acceptance 2 of you will not get in.
The other thing to know is that there will be significant movement in the spring as many candidates have sent in more than one deposit and are sitting on more than one seat.

Last edited:
Yeah, but if I already have an acceptance, I don't want to fly across the country and spend several hundred dollars for .5% chance of acceptance.

Yeah, but if I already have an acceptance, I don't want to fly across the country and spend several hundred dollars for .5% chance of acceptance.

You are right. It is up to you, depending on how badly you would like to go to this school.
Also if you have strong qualities, I would say you have significantly better than a .5% chance.
One thing for sure is that there will be significant movement in the spring even after the March interviews.

Anyone expect interview invites to be sent out before Thanksgiving? I am thinking that maybe the process might kind of shut down over the next 10 days or so.

I am curious why you would fly across the country period if you already have an acceptance. You trying to go somewhere new for medical school? Any roots in the Pacific Northwest?

Accepted two weeks ago from Oct. 18th interview.
Stats: cGPA 3.46 sGPA 3.29 Post-bac 3.93 mcat(p,v,b) 10,11,10
Anyone from Spokane, Eastern Washington, or Pullman? PM me. Looking to get a head start on networking and making new friends.
You still in Pullman? Or did you already graduate?

I am curious why you would fly across the country period if you already have an acceptance. You trying to go somewhere new for medical school? Any roots in the Pacific Northwest?

Wife and I are looking to settle down. After looking at climate, demographic, and economic data, we determined we would be most content in the NW.

Wife and I are looking to settle down. After looking at climate, demographic, and economic data, we determined we would be most content in the NW.
Although i don't have a family to take care of im taking the chance PNWU looks amazing, I cant wait

You still in Pullman? Or did you already graduate?

I have already graduated. I am actually now in Spokane. I am looking for future classmates from Eastern Washington to maybe share a 3 bd apartment and even rides with. PNWU is a pleasant 3 hour drive from my home town and just a short 2 hour drive to Seattle where my sister is. I plan on coming home often after my last class on Fridays to relax, study, and take advantage of some home cooked food. Oh yeah!
And yes, PNWU is amazing. It is all you would expect from a school located where the natural resources are fresh and bountiful. I'm talking about no smog, fresh air, water, trees, and lots of outdoor possibilities. One day it will rival its older UW school and hopefully I for one will give them a run for their money. I just love a good underdog story.

Last edited:
I have already graduated. I am actually now in Spokane. I am looking for future classmates from Eastern Washington to maybe share a 3 bd apartment and even rides with. PNWU is a pleasant 3 hour drive from my home town and just a short 2 hour drive to Seattle where my sister is. I plan on coming home often after my last class on Fridays to relax, study, and take advantage of some home cooked food. Oh yeah!
And yes, PNWU is amazing. It is all you would expect from a school located where the natural resources are fresh and bountiful. I'm talking about no smog, fresh air, water, trees, and lots of outdoor possibilities. One day it will rival its older UW school and hopefully I for one will give them a run for their money. I just love a good underdog story.
I am still in Pullman wrapping up my degree. If I go here I wouldn't be a potential roommate since I have a wife and young daughter. It is a great location, if you love fresh produce the Yakima valley is for you.

I am still in Pullman wrapping up my degree. If I go here I wouldn't be a potential roommate since I have a wife and young daughter. It is a great location, if you love fresh produce the Yakima valley is for you.

Not a problem. I suspect there will be 20 plus other classmates from Eastern Washington.
But I will probably also do some runs to Seattle after class on Friday for a night of seafood buffet and entertainment. Everyone's welcome to join me.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone expect interview invites to be sent out before Thanksgiving? I am thinking that maybe the process might kind of shut down over the next 10 days or so.
Those of us that interviewed 11/15 received an email saying the admissions staff would be unable to meet until early next week. I don't know if that would be when they'd look to send more interview invites too or not...

I am going to start a group probably after the holidays called:
PNWU + Friday Night Fun. Look for it.

Last edited:
My status says "no decision". Will this change after being evaluated or be helpful in anyway?

Mine says Interview and the date the interview was offered so I would assume it means something

Does anyone know the best pet (cat) friendly places near the school? When is the best time to start looking for a place? Also, I'm coming from an area where it hardly even rains, so I know nothing about living in an area with an actual winter. That being said, is there anything I need to do to prepare my car to move up that way?

Just got an interview invite :0) cGPA 3.68, sGPA 3.69, 31 MCAT (10/11/10). I am trying to figure out how to sign up for one right now, but I don't know how to do it on the portal? Complete 11/17.

Just got an interview invite :0) cGPA 3.68, sGPA 3.69, 31 MCAT (10/11/10). I am trying to figure out how to sign up for one right now, but I don't know how to do it on the portal? Complete 11/17.

Look at your ii email. You should be receiving an actual interview date within 48 hours.

Look at your ii email. You should be receiving an actual interview date within 48 hours.
Thanks. I didn't read my email closely enough the first time, but now I realize the date I am scheduled for is March 28th. Hopefully someone will withdraw from an earlier interview and I can interview sooner.

For those who interviewed in November, how was it? Would highly appreciate it if you guys could share some insights and experiences.

For those who interviewed in November, how was it? Would highly appreciate it if you guys could share some insights and experiences.

From earlier in this thread:

I thought my interviews went well, but can't be sure since none of us from the Oct.11th group know if we got in. There were 25 of us at the interview and we were split into three groups, that took turns doing a school tour, the 4 mini interviews with individual faculty members, and a group activity that was more like a group interview. I wasn't prepared for the last part.

For the group activity, the 8 of us were given a topic to talk about for 5 minutes, then we took 20 minutes taking turns talking about the topic as a group. Three or four faculty evaluated our answers. I didn't know about this portion of the interview from reading threads. That might help you feel more prepared on Sat.

The MMI's were just like people explained in previous posts. We rotated between faculty in different rooms. We had one minute to read the question and five minutes to answer them. All but one of my interviewers were friendly.

Everyone else on campus was super friendly and made me even more excited about the school. Mike Riggin, the recruiter, told me to just be myself at the interview and have fun! I think they just want to see that you, as a candidate, would fit into the school ie. be friendly and collaborative, and you would be happy to be there.

The advice I can give is chat up your fellow interviewees and enjoy yourself. I also did practice MMIs with a couple people beforehand and that made me less nervous.

Good luck! I hope you have a good experience!

Pterop gives the best advice on the topic, as posted above. That's the same reply I followed when I interviewed on 10/18 and it worked well. I highly recommend doing a couple practice interviews before you go. It doesn't have to be anything ridiculous. I just googled common MMI questions and basically practiced responding to questions while I was driving to yakima. Even the 2-3 hours of practice I had I felt really helped me. Just remember what you have to offer and don't sell yourself short. Don't over indulge but be honest and confident. You shouldn't have too much to worry about if you take a little time to prepare.

Pterop gives the best advice on the topic, as posted above. That's the same reply I followed when I interviewed on 10/18 and it worked well. I highly recommend doing a couple practice interviews before you go. It doesn't have to be anything ridiculous. I just googled common MMI questions and basically practiced responding to questions while I was driving to yakima. Even the 2-3 hours of practice I had I felt really helped me. Just remember what you have to offer and don't sell yourself short. Don't over indulge but be honest and confident. You shouldn't have too much to worry about if you take a little time to prepare.

Thanks for the info! If you don't mind me asking, how was the 5+20 min. group activity for your interview group? You can message me if you don't want to post.

P.S. Post #500 woop woop!!

Has anyone who interviewed on 11/15 heard back? I don't know if I haven't heard back because I didn't get in.