Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who interviewed on 11/15 heard back? I don't know if I haven't heard back because I didn't get in.

If you didn't get in, you should get a letter in the mail within a couple weeks or so. If you did get in, they will call you and let you know. I'm not sure if they're still behind, but back in October, they were about a week behind schedule so I didn't get my phone call till about a week and a half after my interview. My official acceptance letter took a little more than 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone who interviewed on 11/15 heard back? I don't know if I haven't heard back because I didn't get in.

PreMed'15,

You should have received an email from Hope saying that they will meet early this next week and hopefully send out acceptances by the end of the week.

Does anyone know the best pet (cat) friendly places near the school? When is the best time to start looking for a place? Also, I'm coming from an area where it hardly even rains, so I know nothing about living in an area with an actual winter. That being said, is there anything I need to do to prepare my car to move up that way?

I'm a current student and can begin to answer your questions. In terms of pet friendly places near the school, many students live in a neighborhood that's about 2 mins away by car called Nola Loop. The houses there are 3 bedroom duplexes, there are other houses that are pet friendly as well that are nearby. Almost all my friends have pets so it isn't too difficult to find a place that will take them. I come from Salt Lake, and it does not snow in the Yakima Valley nearly as much as to what I am used to. Last year it snowed about 5 times, and of those times it only stuck to the ground over night probably twice. But take that with a grain of salt since from what I've been told from locals we had a "mild" winter last year. If you want to prep your car, I'd make sure you are up to date with tune ups, have a good working battery, and maybe even snow chains, especially if you plan on driving through the pass often.

Hope this helps give you an idea. The university will be having a open house for newly admitted students/prospective students in the spring where you can get more answers to questions. Once more incoming students are admitted a facebook group will be started (usually around Jan/Feb) to get the networking, roommate situation and such going.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current student and can begin to answer your questions. In terms of pet friendly places near the school, many students live in a neighborhood that's about 2 mins away by car called Nola Loop. The houses there are 3 bedroom duplexes, there are other houses that are pet friendly as well that are nearby. Almost all my friends have pets so it isn't too difficult to find a place that will take them. I come from Salt Lake, and it does not snow in the Yakima Valley nearly as much as to what I am used to. Last year it snowed about 5 times, and of those times it only stuck to the ground over night probably twice. But take that with a grain of salt since from what I've been told from locals we had a "mild" winter last year. If you want to prep your car, I'd make sure you are up to date with tune ups, have a good working battery, and maybe even snow chains, especially if you plan on driving through the pass often.

Hope this helps give you an idea. The university will be having a open house for newly admitted students/prospective students in the spring where you can get more answers to questions. Once more incoming students are admitted a facebook group will be started (usually around Jan/Feb) to get the networking, roommate situation and such going.

Thanks! Even a mild winter up there is more winter than I've ever experienced, so I just want to be prepared.

Can you share with us how your typical day is like at PNWU and what your week schedule is like. Trying to get a feel for what my week will be like and get my psyche acclimated with the new schedule. Thanks.

Last edited:

I interviewed 11/15 as well. Should here back hopefully today or tomorrow, although I think it'll be tomorrow since its already close to the end of the day. Anyone else here anything. Crossing my fingers that I hear good news.

I interviewed 11/15 as well. Should here back hopefully today or tomorrow, although I think it'll be tomorrow since its already close to the end of the day. Anyone else here anything. Crossing my fingers that I hear good news.

Oh forgot to mention. I've been getting on power campus (the website you originally completed secondarys on) and checking my status there in the hopes that its put in the computer before we hear anything. One way or another though hope said she'd call, whether its denial/acceptance/waitlist.

I got moved up to a January 24th interview!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone from 11/15 hear anything yet? This wait is killing me...

When I called I was told that offers have been already going out today...but the dean still had some to sign off on..

Accepted today from the 11/15 interview group.

This is only my first post - but wanted to offer any encouragement for some of you with lower stats like me. I have a 2.9 sGPA, 3.3 cGPA, 25 MCAT. However, I have 2.5 years working as an ER tech, and my degree is in Spanish and I spent a semester in Peru.
For me it was all about doing what I loved, and serving people along the way (for me that was local youth mentoring and I lead the worship band at my church). If you have that mentality and you work hard, you'll make a great doc and schools will see that. This was my only interview, but I knew I only needed one.

Anyway - really look forward to being a student here, it looks like a really special program.
See you guys in August!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats KelseyJ52,

I also inteviewed on 11/15 and just got accepted today!
Here are my stats 3.68 sGPA, 3.72cGPA, 26 MCAT

I also have a degree in Spanish and have lived abroad in several Spanish speaking countries.
Seems like we have a bit in common. Feel free to PM me.

They seem to really like us bilingual folks. I did a Spanish minor and taught Spanish for 3 years. I'm excited to see you all in the fall and possibly in the Spanish club! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone! I was left a voicemail offering me admission! So, SO excited to be joining in on the fun :) Congrats to everyone who got accepted, and good luck to everyone still in the application process!!

Haven't heard anything so I'm assuming it's a rejection...

Ya I saw above that someone called and they still said they had some to send out, but didn't know if they were sending out denials today too.

Denials are sent out by snail mail, I read that they arrive around 2 weeks post decision.

When I called the lady did say the dean was still signing off on some people who might get their acceptance phone calls next week. Maybe there is hope for the rest of us....

I got moved up to a January 24th interview!
Can I ask if you called their office to get moved earlier? I was placed on the wait list to move my February interview in back November. I emailed them once and was told there were no spots open. I've seen several other applicants get their dates moved up earlier who received II after me.. I'm wondering if they are prioritizing earlier interviews for better applicants.. which is making me nervous.

Can I ask if you called their office to get moved earlier? I was placed on the wait list to move my February interview in back November. I emailed them once and was told there were no spots open. I've seen several other applicants get their dates moved up earlier who received II after me.. I'm wondering if they are prioritizing earlier interviews for better applicants.. which is making me nervous.
I think they are prioritizing. Makes me nervous as well. March 2015 interviewee here and you can imagine how much I want to get moved up.

Typically most schools do, also if you are an out of state student you in the bottom of the barrel

I did ask to get moved up, but I am a Washington resident. I imagine that makes a difference.

Hmm, I myself am a Washington resident. Maybe I am just not as competitive. I know my stats are just average.

Hmm, I myself am a Washington resident. Maybe I am just not as competitive. I know my stats are just average.
I don't know what to tell you there. Does seem pretty unfair. I imagine my higher than average stats could be helping. But don't lose hope, you never know how things are going to shake out until summer. Hang in there :)

Anyone who interviewed on 11/15...has your status changed on the portal? Didn't receive a phone call today... :(

This is the number one school I want to attend by a long shot. First off when I saw the post that someone got accepted yesterday I was extremely heart broken I didn't get a call :sendoff:. Then dumadr assumes the rest of us got denied, come on man...
I called the office and they said they are still in the process of calling us for acceptance. I cant believe they are making us wait over the holidays. This will be the worst thanksgiving I have ever had lol, I'm stressed out more then you can believe.
Can people please post if you have any additional information?
Who else got calls? How many of you are sitting in my shoes?
If you haven't gotten a call hold tight. :horns:

Apologies. I didn't mean to bring anyone else down to my personal state of misery, although my pit of despair does get lonely from time to time... Seriously though, I thought they'd have everything done today but I guess not. Hopefully we hear back not too late next week.

Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad 2.7 GPA
Masters 3.9 GPA
32 MCAT

I studied three weeks before the interview. I thought I did well. I have friends at PNWU who wrote me recommendation letters. dumadr this is really stressfull

Sounds like you're gonna be ok then... I was looking forward to the long weekend to relax and catch up on biochemistry, but now I wish it was a typical two-day weekend. :( You have any other interviews?

Sounds like you're gonna be ok then... I was looking forward to the long weekend to relax and catch up on biochemistry, but now I wish it was a typical two-day weekend. :( You have any other interviews?
I was told they may not count my masters GPA, so idk. I applied to five other DO schools and haven't heard anything. What about you?

This wait is absolute torture! Waiting one additional week was bad enough, now waiting through the holidays.

I was told they may not count my masters GPA, so idk. I applied to five other DO schools and haven't heard anything. What about you?

Who told you that your masters GPA didn't count? Are you currently in a masters program? I was thinking about doing a masters...but if a masters doesn't help..then I don't want to waste any money.

Pretty sure they'll consider your masters gpa, especially since its considerably higher than your undergraduate gpa. I applied to about 15 schools: 3 MD, and 12 DO. I have some more interviews, but was really impressed with PNWU. I would say it's easily in my top 4. What other schools did you try?

Last edited:

Hey man. So when you called did they say how many there were and why they needed to wait to call us. That doesn't sound like what Hope was saying at the interview. From what I remember she said that she would stay as late as she needed to call us with those acceptances. Just wondering exactly what you heard :)

The lady mentioned when I called that they were starting calls to offer admission on Wednesday 11/26 and the rest would continue on Monday 12/1. She mentioned some decisions still needed to be signed-off by the Dean, I'm assuming this included some more acceptances. There was no indication that just because you didn't hear anything on Wed 11/26 that you were automatically rejected or waitlisted, they just simply hadn't gotten to everyone yet. However, I admit not getting a call later that afternoon on Wednesday made me nervous, but again, nothing was said from the Admissions office that would indicate no news was bad news for Wednesday.

The lady mentioned when I called that they were starting calls to offer admission on Wednesday 11/26 and the rest would continue on Monday 12/1. She mentioned some decisions still needed to be signed-off by the Dean, I'm assuming this included some more acceptances. There was no indication that just because you didn't hear anything on Wed 11/26 that you were automatically rejected or waitlisted, they just simply hadn't gotten to everyone yet. However, I admit not getting a call later that afternoon on Wednesday made me nervous, but again, nothing was said from the Admissions office that would indicate no news was bad news for Wednesday.

Okay well that makes me feel a little better. Like many of you, PNWU is def at the top of my list. Glad we can keep each other posted on the latest coming out of the admissions dept. Looks like more anticipation through the weekend :).

I can second that the lady on the phone did mention the possibility of letting people know next week since the dean hasn't signed off on everyone yet. Let the agonizing wait continue.

Can you share with us how your typical day is like at PNWU and what your week schedule is like. Trying to get a feel for what my week will be like and get my psyche acclimated with the new schedule. Thanks.

Again, take this with a grain of salt because there is a rumor that the first year curriculum is changing next year to systems based. I'm a first year and our classes loosely follow our anatomy class--meaning that if we are studying thorax & lungs in anatomy then in physiology we study heart dynamics, heart disease, in micro we study microbes that affect the heart & lungs... I think you get the idea.

In terms of actual class time here's the breakdown: days are from 8-5.

Don't let this schedule freak you out, classes are not required unless there is a quiz/exam or guest lecturer. But the days are long. The class of 2018 & 2017 are divided into two groups A & B. OPP lab, which stands for osteopathic principles & practice, clinical skills lab & histology lab are the only parts of our schedule that we are not with the entire class, since the rooms we have these classes in can't fit 140+ students. APLE is community involvement experiences. I apologize, I don't remember what APLE stands for. Depending on when you are individually scheduled at some point during the semester you go to various health care facilities around the area and learn from the practitioners there.

I don't go to all the classes since I do better reading the material and answering objectives on my own. But I study between 3-4 hours on weekdays and I at least try and double that on weekends. Some weeks are more others are less, depending on if there is test block coming up or some other exam or practical.
IMG_0109.PNG

Reactions: 2 users
Again, take this with a grain of salt because there is a rumor that the first year curriculum is changing next year to systems based. I'm a first year and our classes loosely follow our anatomy class--meaning that if we are studying thorax & lungs in anatomy then in physiology we study heart dynamics, heart disease, in micro we study microbes that affect the heart & lungs... I think you get the idea.

In terms of actual class time here's the breakdown: days are from 8-5.

Don't let this schedule freak you out, classes are not required unless there is a quiz/exam or guest lecturer. But the days are long. The class of 2018 & 2017 are divided into two groups A & B. OPP lab, which stands for osteopathic principles & practice, clinical skills lab & histology lab are the only parts of our schedule that we are not with the entire class, since the rooms we have these classes in can't fit 140+ students. APLE is community involvement experiences. I apologize, I don't remember what APLE stands for. Depending on when you are individually scheduled at some point during the semester you go to various health care facilities around the area and learn from the practitioners there.

I don't go to all the classes since I do better reading the material and answering objectives on my own. But I study between 3-4 hours on weekdays and I at least try and double that on weekends. Some weeks are more others are less, depending on if there is test block coming up or some other exam or practical.
View attachment 187353

Thank you for giving me an idea of what a week will be like. Looks to be fun and exciting.

Good luck everyone whose still waiting to hear from PNWU. I, like many of you, hope to hear great things from admission tomorrow. Can anyone who did get an acceptance call tell me what time you got it? Would like to be available to answer it when/if they do call.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for them to get back to me as I was at the interview on the 15th. Are alot of you still waiting?

Can you all post if you hear anything tomorrow?

Pretty sure if it's denial/waitlist, you don't find out till weeks later via snail mail from what I've been told. If we don't hear back tomorrow however, I think it's safe to assume a no/waitlist :/