Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck everyone whose still waiting to hear from PNWU. I, like many of you, hope to hear great things from admission tomorrow. Can anyone who did get an acceptance call tell me what time you got it? Would like to be available to answer it when/if they do call.
I got my call around 3 pm! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard anything yet and my portal still says interview as well.

This wait may actually kill me...

Reactions: 1 user
I'm tempted to call and just see where they're at. Maybe get my answer right then and there.

I'm tempted to call and just see where they're at. Maybe get my answer right then and there.

If you do, let us know how it goes. I'm going to distract myself with grocery shopping and dropping off my rent in the meantime.

Mine also says interview. If you call please let us know?

Last edited:
Called. I was only able to speak with the secretary. She said, like we already knew, that they were still reviewing a portion of the list from the 15th. She couldn't confirm if they were decided on acceptances though, or if it was just wait list vs denial. My gut tells me its wait list vs denial, but its good to stay optimistic. She also couldn't confirm on the timeline when we'd be notified. :( so pretty much the same news .

Email from Hope said "hopefully today or tomorrow". Don't even know what to do with myself, the anticipation is killing me XD

Email from Hope said "hopefully today or tomorrow". Don't even know what to do with myself, the anticipation is killing me XD

What was your question. Was it asking if they had already sent out all there acceptances or when you'd be receiving a call? Just trying to ready between the lines :)

Just gonna do verbatim what I said and she said and maybe we can decipher it haha.

Me: "I was wondering when we can expect to hear back results after the 11/15 interview? Will our status be changed on the portal once a decision is made?
Hope: "Due to the holiday we had some people out. They are finalizing decisions now that everyone is back. Hopefully today or tomorrow".

Hmm, I wonder what the "last list" is. Like the last list of an alphabetical list or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing here :(

Maybe tomorrow guys, best of luck to you all.

It's only three p.m. there, so they'll probably be there until 5 or 6 p.m. Could hear something in the next three hours today.

Nothing here :(

Maybe tomorrow guys, best of luck to you all.

True blue, diniefofinie1, I.V...would you guys be up for sharing your stats. Maybe we can see if we are actually all pretty strong applicants...or maybe make a correlation between all of us and why we didn't get any calls.

Me: 3.6 cgpa, 3.7 sgpa, 24 mcat, lots of experiences in the medical field, volunteer experience etc. I felt my interview went really well. I'll admit my first room during the MMI was a little nerve-racking and maybe resulted in a less then eloquent response, but the other three rooms and the group interview I felt I did well.

I have close to yours andberg, very close.

If anyone was at the November 15th interview and have not heard anything from admissions it would be nice if you could join the discussion? Maybe you know of something we don't. Or have gotten a call today, let us know.

Nah man. Nothing so far. Interviewed 11/15

OOS from California

Stats for me: 3.1 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA, 26 MCAT, several years of volunteer work, a summer internship where I shadowed multiple physicians, and work as a CNA/private home care nurse for over a year. Strong ties to the city. The first room for the MMIs felt like signing my own rejection letter, to quote another person I interviewed with, but otherwise I felt pretty good about the interviews.

I wonder if what group we were in has any impact? I don't know if those with acceptances are all in the AM or PM group? I was in the PM group, so...

Edit: and still showing 'interview' on the self-service portal. I will say that it changed to 'deny post-interview' immediately after a decision was made when I applied two years ago. So, no news is sort of good news at this point.

If anyone was at the November 15th interview and have not heard anything from admissions it would be nice if you could join the discussion? Maybe you know of something we don't. Or have gotten a call today, let us know.

No reply for me yet. ( 3.61 cGPA, 3.50 sGPA, 28 MCAT, lots of volunteer and work experience in medicine). I didn't feel like I interviewed extremely well, especially one MMI in particular (you know which one...) so I'm not really expecting anything.

3.64 sGPA, 3.75 cGPA, 30 MCAT

Several years clinical volunteering, global health trip abroad, shelter volunteering, internship, ~250 hours shadowing, currently doing administrative work at a hospital and a domestic violence advocate.

First MMI was shaky, second one I was prepared for the question and the last two I thought I got great feedback during.

No word yet.

Darn...wait listed. I felt like I was a good candidate so I'm kind of disappointed.

Hi! I'm new to the thread and I have an interview with PNWU but not until March. For those of you that have interviewed what did you do to prepare and what, if anything, can you let us know about the interview process or questions? Thanks so much!! This is my first interview request so I'm super nervous :)

How do you check the portal? I attempted to log in and asked for my username. It was emailed to me, but I have never been given a password. Is there a default password?

Denied here too. Going to try and call tomorrow though and see about getting some more info. I was told you could do that and it will be good for next time.

I'm probably going to do the same andberg, but I honestly don't know that I need to ask. After two cycles of interviews at the school, talking to people I know who work with or are students there, and seeing the students in person at the Q&A, I think I know exactly what happened. PNWU is looking for community oriented people with a strong sense of family values and ethics. On paper, that sounds easy, but every student I've met from the school came across as family-focused (married or on the way, possibly with kids), 'traditional' in mind set, conservative in behavior and mannerisms, a 'health nut' with a love for the gym, and a bit older. Every single current student at the interview fit that bill honestly. I don't quite fit that mold. My family physician has close ties to the school and warned me of as much, but I tried anyway. Safe to say, I won't be applying there next year.

Aw well, back to the drawing board.

I'm probably going to do the same andberg, but I honestly don't know that I need to ask. After two cycles of interviews at the school, talking to people I know who work with or are students there, and seeing the students in person at the Q&A, I think I know exactly what happened. PNWU is looking for community oriented people with a strong sense of family values and ethics. On paper, that sounds easy, but every student I've met from the school came across as family-focused (married or on the way, possibly with kids), 'traditional' in mind set, conservative in behavior and mannerisms, a 'health nut' with a love for the gym, and a bit older. Every single current student at the interview fit that bill honestly. I don't quite fit that mold. My family physician has close ties to the school and warned me of as much, but I tried anyway. Safe to say, I won't be applying there next year.

Aw well, back to the drawing board.
Thank you for the in depth analysis. That is what one of my friends also said as well. Luckily I fit a majority of the bill except the married part.

With over 4,000 applications being submitted to this school alone there are bound to be many more disappointments than gratitudes.
Here are some suggestions that I might impart on fellow applicants as a successful applicant this year.

Remember that applying and going to med school are really only the start. It is not the end game. Being a physician is a series of good decision making throughout one's entire life. And if you are stressed and tense about this phase, think about when you are faced with life and death decisions in the ER or having to make split second decisions in the OR.

I'm going to cut and paste my reply to a question that someone private messaged me couple week's ago that may give some insight.

Well, congrats on getting an interview. PNWU is huge on the interview. They say the interview is critical and they are not kidding. This was actually my second time applying. Last cycle I applied rather late in January and interviewed in February. I tried my hardest and sweated the whole day trying to make the most but I was unprepared. A week later I waited for the acceptance phone call starting two days before which never came. What did come in the mail was a rejection letter.
So this cycle I made the following changes:
I applied first week the application was open.
I went to Nordstrom and bought a whole new Hugo Boss suit that actually fit me. I hadn't worn my previous suit in years and when I wore my usual shirt I could barely put the last button in and it actually was choking me and getting less oxygen to my brain the whole interview day.
I also hired an interview coach that I worked with throughout the whole summer meeting for couple hours at a time 3 times a week to work on answering questions.
So all the hard work eventually paid off and I've received 8 II so far but only went to the first four.
By the time PNWU interview came around, I was already accepted to one med school so all the pressure was off. All my intention was to just go to the first accepted school.
So I treated my PNWU interview like a vacation and went with the intent to savor what it could have been and the nice facility, since I had nothing to lose and I was certain, like 90% that I was not going to get in, at best get wait listed. So I actually enjoyed myself. Had a smile during the whole day since I new I was already accepted.
This actually helped me with the actual interview as I wasn't nervous and I could actually just focus on the questions and answering them fully to my best intellect.
There's other stories here, but maybe tell you about them if you get accepted.
Then after the interview, a week passed, and I had completely forgotten about the interview and I was on my way to a buffet Friday afternoon when out of the blue I get a call and my caller ID says Yakima, WA. and reminded me that oh yeah I had interviewed there a week ago. And sure enough it was a call from LeAnn calling me to congratulate me on my acceptance. I cried because I was happy but also because I knew how hard I had worked the last 6 years to reach my goal of going to my dream school. And the rest is history now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Checked portal. Got wait listed. Thought I killed the interviews but I guess I didn't kill it enough. No big deal though.... Planning on placing a deposit elsewhere.

Checked portal. Got wait listed. Thought I killed the interviews but I guess I didn't kill it enough. No big deal though.... Planning on placing a deposit elsewhere.
How do you check the portal?

Guys, do you have any information when it comes to being on the waitlist here? Do they like getting updates on information/calling in to see what to do or more of the sit back and see what happens?

Guys, do you have any information when it comes to being on the waitlist here? Do they like getting updates on information/calling in to see what to do or more of the sit back and see what happens?
Hi there- I'm sure you can send updates to Hope if you have anything to add to your application. She's always super helpful. They do rank the wait list after the last round of interviews, so it may be a good idea to. The deferred acceptances are at the top of the wait list, then the regular wait list is considered. Also, you can hear back from the wait list as late as the day before classes, which I know can cause anxiety. Hope or Mike may be able to tell you more information about the wait list stats from last year. It all comes down to how high you were ranked. The year before last, Mike told me that to fill 33 seats, they offered 54. That year there were 18 deferred offers, and only half of those individuals chose to come that year. I was wait listed last year, I applied in December, went to the last round of interviews in April, and I think there were only a couple seats available. It's easy to beat yourself up over it, I sure did, but remember they wait listed you because the can see you as a part of their student body! Which is great. Best of luck!!

To those accepted already or current students-I read in an earlier post that they won't create a FB page for the upcoming class until Jan/Feb, but I was wondering about how one would go about finding a possible roommate. I currently live out of state and I know that it may be tricky to 'meet' someone in Washington. Any suggestions/tips?
Thanks!

To any waitlisters out there, I contacted Hope and heard some unfortunate news. Apparently they do not rank the waitlist until all interviews are done, so probably early May. So basically waitlisters won't hear anything until after rankings in May which is way to long of a wait in my opinion. I thought that there would be at least some movement after the deposit deadline but I guess not. Good luck to those waiting.

Anybody who has sent in their acceptance letter and deposit check - did your student portal checklist status change?? I sent mine in a few weeks ago and I have received no confirmation e-mail, nor status change for the items on my checklist, nor anything for that matter...- Not even a "thank you for submitting your first $1000, we look forward to $200,000 more"...

Anybody who has sent in their acceptance letter and deposit check - did your student portal checklist status change?? I sent mine in a few weeks ago and I have received no confirmation e-mail, nor status change for the items on my checklist, nor anything for that matter...- Not even a "thank you for submitting your first $1000, we look forward to $200,000 more"...

Check your student portal. It will change. Mine took couple weeks. If it hasn't changed by the end of the week give the Enrollment Office a call and they'll let you know.

To those accepted already or current students-I read in an earlier post that they won't create a FB page for the upcoming class until Jan/Feb, but I was wondering about how one would go about finding a possible roommate. I currently live out of state and I know that it may be tricky to 'meet' someone in Washington. Any suggestions/tips?
Thanks!
Is it up to the school to make a FB page or could we just do it? If not, I would just suggest looking around on here. I can't imagine you'll have any troubles arranging a living situation in time.

Well, I just sent in my acceptance letter with my deposit. Until UW makes a decision, I'm attending PNWU in the fall :)

Reactions: 1 users
I sent in my deposit too. I got an email confirming they received my acceptance agreement. I'm still waiting to hear from one other school, but as of now I'm attending PNWU.

Congrats to all the other deposit payers and accepted students. I'm really looking forward to meeting you all in yakima in several months!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

I submitted my secondary app to PNWU about 3 weeks ago. However, I just got my MCAT scores back last week. Does anyone have any idea how long it might be before I hear back from them?

PNWU is one of my top choices and I hope that I can at least get an interview, but I'm worried that I applied too late in the cycle. Do you guys think I still have a shot?

Oregon resident
3.69 cGPA
3.81 sGPA
29 MCAT (9/10/10)
102 hours of volunteer experience in an emergency dept.
Certified Nursing Assistant
Worked in IT for 7 years
31 years old, married, and I have a son

Thanks!
I think you should be fine. The cycle is still open for another 3-4 months! You should be able to get your interview in the early spring.