Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I submitted my secondary app to PNWU about 3 weeks ago. However, I just got my MCAT scores back last week. Does anyone have any idea how long it might be before I hear back from them?

PNWU is one of my top choices and I hope that I can at least get an interview, but I'm worried that I applied too late in the cycle. Do you guys think I still have a shot?

Oregon resident
3.69 cGPA
3.81 sGPA
29 MCAT (9/10/10)
102 hours of volunteer experience in an emergency dept.
Certified Nursing Assistant
Worked in IT for 7 years
31 years old, married, and I have a son

Thanks!

Your stats look to be just fine. I don't think that you are so late in the cycle that you don't have a chance but the timing is the weakest point. As far as I know the last interview session maybe two? are for wait list spots. But I'm pretty sure they will tell you if it's a wait list only interview session.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats look to be just fine. I don't think that you are so late in the cycle that you don't have a chance but the timing is the weakest point. As far as I know the last interview session maybe two? are for wait list spots. But I'm pretty sure they will tell you if it's a wait list only interview session.
So the march one is wait-list positions ?

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be. I'm not sure exactly what the date is. But in the past the last interviews session has been for wait list or deferment only.

Is it up to the school to make a FB page or could we just do it? If not, I would just suggest looking around on here. I can't imagine you'll have any troubles arranging a living situation in time.
I don't know if we should-from what I gathered reading other threads it seems like they make one for us??

I don't know if we should-from what I gathered reading other threads it seems like they make one for us??
Did you happen to see when they usually make one? I wouldn't mind getting to know/meet some future classmates!

Did you happen to see when they usually make one? I wouldn't mind getting to know/meet some future classmates!
I think it would be after they finalize, or at least get closer to finalizing the class roster. I would guess March/April.

Anyone have any new updates? More acceptances, etc? It's been quiet here for a few days. I've got a hankerin' for some socializin' with my future classmates.

Anyone have any new updates? More acceptances, etc? It's been quiet here for a few days. I've got a hankerin' for some socializin' with my future classmates.
Same here. I'll make a social page for us in the mean time until they make the official one. Anyone who wants to start one send me a message so we can get some networking going! Need to have a FB friend to add to the group before it will let me create one.

Hey all,

I am a non traditional student, long time reader, and first time poster. I am a proud Washingtonian hoping to stay in the PNW for my medical studies. I was rejected by UW post secondary and I completed my secondary to PNWU at the end of November. I had an interview request shortly after submitting my secondary (oddly enough I never received an email for interview dates/didn't check portal until December). I received an email a week ago saying my application was withdrawn due to inactivity of interview requests. I called the office and explained how I never received an email for an interview request. Luckily, I managed to get an interview date at the end of March :)

This is going to be my first interview (hopefully not my only interview as I'm still waiting to hear back from other MD/DO programs after secondary submissions) and I was hoping to get some pointers/what some of the questions were during the MMI's.

My stats are NOT strong (2.8 science and cumulative 2.8 AACOMAS - 25 MCAT 21 MCAT second time) but my GPA has stayed above a 3.6 for my junior and senior year. I have research experience in a medicinal chemistry lab at WSU and strong extracurricular/good LOR from DO and science faculty/life experience (played guitar in major record label bands touring nationally/internationally).

Any feedback or input would be appreciated! I'm not expecting to get into med school my first application cycle ( none of my friends with stronger stats than me did ) but I'm thankful to at least receive an interview.

Cheers and congrats to those who were accepted already!!!

Okay so I made a temporary FB page for us to get to know each other :) We can just use this until the school makes one of their own: https://www.facebook.com/groups/981167608564922/

For my class year a proactive student got the approval from Hope to use the school logo and picture for my class fb page, which was created in January or so. I would give Hope a call to let her know that you started a page so the school can give you the stamp of approval to moderate it & to start sending out invites to accepted students and current students.

Hey all,

I am a non traditional student, long time reader, and first time poster. I am a proud Washingtonian hoping to stay in the PNW for my medical studies. I was rejected by UW post secondary and I completed my secondary to PNWU at the end of November. I had an interview request shortly after submitting my secondary (oddly enough I never received an email for interview dates/didn't check portal until December). I received an email a week ago saying my application was withdrawn due to inactivity of interview requests. I called the office and explained how I never received an email for an interview request. Luckily, I managed to get an interview date at the end of March :)

This is going to be my first interview (hopefully not my only interview as I'm still waiting to hear back from other MD/DO programs after secondary submissions) and I was hoping to get some pointers/what some of the questions were during the MMI's.

My stats are NOT strong (2.8 science and cumulative 2.8 AACOMAS - 25 MCAT 21 MCAT second time) but my GPA has stayed above a 3.6 for my junior and senior year. I have research experience in a medicinal chemistry lab at WSU and strong extracurricular/good LOR from DO and science faculty/life experience (played guitar in major record label bands touring nationally/internationally).

Any feedback or input would be appreciated! I'm not expecting to get into med school my first application cycle ( none of my friends with stronger stats than me did ) but I'm thankful to at least receive an interview.

Cheers and congrats to those who were accepted already!!!

Your story sounds pretty similar to mine. Cumulative GPA of 3.1, sGPA of 2.9, and MCAT 25. Lots of volunteer, international work, and a few years as an ER tech. My junior and senior grades were really strong which made a difference. I interviewed 11/15 and was accepted a week later. The interview is really huge at PNWU (as with any COM, I'm sure). Show that you are service-oriented, and that those bad grades early on were a fluke and you've learned from them. Have a good understanding of some common ethical scenarios and just be yourself. If you've been granted an interview, then that means grade-wise you're OK - now its a matter of who you are as an applicant. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all my future classmates and fellow applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
If you've been granted an interview, then that means grade-wise you're OK - now its a matter of who you are as an applicant.

I really hope this is the case with PNWU. My March interview date makes me nervous since it is so late in the cycle.

I really hope this is the case with PNWU. My March interview date makes me nervous since it is so late in the cycle.
I submitted my secondary January, interviewed April, and was accepted June. Just apply day 1 next cycle if it doesn't work out. I was pulled off the waitlist so late I had already submitted my primary for this year. Sucks that AACOMAS doesn't refund like amcas!

I have an interview on February 21. It's a little late in the game, but I really like PNWU. What is the best source to prep for PNWU interviews?

I have an interview on February 21. It's a little late in the game, but I really like PNWU. What is the best source to prep for PNWU interviews?
Looking back through previous comments of this very thread.

Reactions: 2 users
I have an interview coming up in March. What should I expect

to be honest, the day as a whole is relatively boring. I had a much better time the night prior at my student-host's house, playing with her cat and having a beer with her husband.

the interviews are what you make them. they value calm and collected responses. if they ask you how you would deal with X then it would be better to give them 1 or 2 deeper responses than 5 to 6 brainstormy responses.

and then my flight back was great. I met the principal of a high school there, and was subsequently invited to have a beer at the Alaska air gold member room (or whatever it's called).

Reactions: 1 users
I just received a call from Hope and was moved up to the January 24 interview date! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I have a March interview as well. As i read this post I am disheartened that March interviews are waitlist interviews. I am from the PNW. I have spent 2 years as a CNA, 2 years as a LPN, and now 4 years as an RN in multiple health settings, currently in the ER now. I recieved all my degrees from WA of ID and have family in the Yakima and Whidbey Island area. My GPA is by far my weakest point I am 3.0 sGPA, 3.32 cGPA with a 25 MCAT. I am married and expecting my first born soon. I know my health experience, family, and non-traditional status actually help me here, but what are the real chances of getting in from a waitlist?

Hey guys, I have a March interview as well. As i read this post I am disheartened that March interviews are waitlist interviews. I am from the PNW. I have spent 2 years as a CNA, 2 years as a LPN, and now 4 years as an RN in multiple health settings, currently in the ER now. I recieved all my degrees from WA of ID and have family in the Yakima and Whidbey Island area. My GPA is by far my weakest point I am 3.0 sGPA, 3.32 cGPA with a 25 MCAT. I am married and expecting my first born soon. I know my health experience, family, and non-traditional status actually help me here, but what are the real chances of getting in from a waitlist?

I also have a March interview. It may be a wait list interview but it is an interview. Take this opportunity to demonstrate your strengths. If we have to apply again next year, then so be it. For now we have to have faith.

I will say that there aren't any guarantees when it comes to the wait list, but what I have been told while on the campus and from what I've read in past years forums is that if you can make it into the "upper" region of the wait list you have a fairly good chance of being accepted. At the end of the interview cycle they will rank everyone on the wait list and in the past they have taken as many as 30 people off the wait list. Even though your interview is on the latter end of the cycle, if you can execute your interview well, you've got a lot of experience that will help you quite a bit. My Stats were a little bit better than yours, but you've got a lot more experience and exposure than I do and I got accepted back in October. Application time may also play a role in acceptance, but all hope is not lost for you. Good luck!

I will say that there aren't any guarantees when it comes to the wait list, but what I have been told while on the campus and from what I've read in past years forums is that if you can make it into the "upper" region of the wait list you have a fairly good chance of being accepted. At the end of the interview cycle they will rank everyone on the wait list and in the past they have taken as many as 30 people off the wait list. Even though your interview is on the latter end of the cycle, if you can execute your interview well, you've got a lot of experience that will help you quite a bit. My Stats were a little bit better than yours, but you've got a lot more experience and exposure than I do and I got accepted back in October. Application time may also play a role in acceptance, but all hope is not lost for you. Good luck!

I would also say that there are March interview acceptances. Not just a wait list date.

I'd be hopeful. I have you on scholastics (32 mcat, yes a poor undergrad 3.0 cGPA/3.1sGPA, but a true SMP gpa 3.9), but you definitely have me on healthcare/life experience (I did ~1y as a pharm tech). Plus, they usually say if you get an interview then they're pretty comfortable you'd succeed scholastically. Anyway, for interviews, my nerves got the best of me and I got the equivalent of a C, whereas a B or better is competitive (Each interviewer ranks you 1-10, and so after 5 MMIs I got around a 33/50. Mike Riggin said a 40+/50 would have been competitive). If you interview well, I'd say it sounds like you're a stronger candidate than me (just fine academically, potentially very aligned with their mission which says a lot). I interviewed for the last slot--April--and was accepted mid-July. I can't remember for sure, but I wanna say someone who interviewed on the same date was accepted fairly immediately i.e. not even waitlisted then pulled.

Hi guys, I have an interview for PNWU scheduled for Saturday 1/24/15, but I am looking to push my date back if possible. Does anyone have a later date they would be interested in swapping with me? PM me if you're interested. Cheers!

Hi guys, I have an interview for PNWU scheduled for Saturday 1/24/15, but I am looking to push my date back if possible. Does anyone have a later date they would be interested in swapping with me? PM me if you're interested. Cheers!
I just gave up mine in March ask hope for a march interview

I was able to switch to a date in March. Best of luck to everyone else looking to change their date

Is anyone here flying into SeaTac Friday night/Saturday morning for the 3/28 interview and want to chop a rental car?

Is there any movement for the "Earlier interview" wait list? I'm hoping to get moved up from the March date.

Is there any movement for the "Earlier interview" wait list? I'm hoping to get moved up from the March date.

There is, but it's not on a first come, first serve basis. I've been waiting to have my interview moved up since early November.

Is it too late to submit my secondary now. I know it is late in the cycle but does anybody think it would be worth applying (and paying $85)? Here are my stats:

CGpa: 3.02
Science gpa: 2.89
Masters gpa (BMS): 3.5
MCAT: 30 (12 PS 10 BS 8 VR)

Also, I'm a Washington state resident so im not sure if that would help.

Is it too late to submit my secondary now. I know it is late in the cycle but does anybody think it would be worth applying (and paying $85)? Here are my stats:

Yes I would wait till next cycle

i say why not if its the only school you're applying to but dont have high hopes. You shot yourself in the foot applying this late.

It's not the only school. I've applied to Nova, LECOM (Bradenton and Erie), PCOM (Philly and Georgia), Rowan, and CCOM. I submitted those secondaries beginning of November. I've been rejected by LECOM-Bradenton and CCOM so far and heard nothing else from anybody else (no interviews).

Just got an email from Hope yesterday saying I could move my interview from 3/28 to 1/24! Definitely took the opportunity. The 24th is right after my birthday, so hopefully it ends up being a good day :) Woot!

When did you get you interview invite?
Just got an email from Hope yesterday saying I could move my interview from 3/28 to 1/24! Definitely took the opportunity. The 24th is right after my birthday, so hopefully it ends up being a good day :) Woot!

I was offered an interview at the beginning of November but didn't accept until December due to miscommunication.

Hello folks :)
I'm a non-trad applicant interviewing Jan 24th.
I've read through the threads and they were very helpful.
Thank you so much.
I would like to add something positive in return but this is my first Medical school interview so I'm limited in my resource.

However I could offer a ride to Yakima from Seattle.
Let me know if someone needs a ride. I'll be leaving friday evening and returning saturday after the interview.

Best of luck and I hope you all shine in your unique colors. :)

Hello folks :)
I'm a non-trad applicant interviewing Jan 24th.
I've read through the threads and they were very helpful.
Thank you so much.
I would like to add something positive in return but this is my first Medical school interview so I'm limited in my resource.

However I could offer a ride to Yakima from Seattle.
Let me know if someone needs a ride. I'll be leaving friday evening and returning saturday after the interview.

Best of luck and I hope you all shine in your unique colors. :)

Good luck!

On an unrelated note, they optimized the app for iPhone 6/6+ everything is normal sized now. Not a giant geriatric font.

I submitted my secondary mid November, but I didn't get my MCAT scores until December 9th. I received an interview invite about a week ago, then got a call from Hope this evening saying that they had an open spot this month.
Thanks for the info, good luck!

I submitted my secondary mid November, but I didn't get my MCAT scores until December 9th. I received an interview invite about a week ago, then got a call from Hope this evening saying that they had an open spot this month.

If you don't mind, what are your stats? I would just like to gauge my chances of having my March interview date moved up (even though this is dependent on people dropping their Jan./Feb. spots).