Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got rejected here too but got in to another school that I think might fit me better. And I'm gonna have to agree with Illuminor ha.

I think pnwu is looking for a specific type of student/person. and, it's important not to take it personally if they don't think you fit that mold--b/c, really, they are just saving you a lot of disappointment. This is how I handled it (b/c I honestly didn't think the school fit me very well)

I think pnwu is looking for a specific type of student/person. and, it's important not to take it personally if they don't think you fit that mold--b/c, really, they are just saving you a lot of disappointment. This is how I handled it (b/c I honestly didn't think the school fit me very well)
yep. if you're not yourself at interview and take your acceptance, you may extremely dislike the next 2 years. if you're yourself and are denied post-interview, your life will be better than in my former sentence.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of person are they looking for?

@Rogert I remember there being some talk about it earlier in the thread--so look through the pages of comments (I think "I.V" said some stuff about them liking non-traditionals and spanish speaking etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what dates are remaining for interviews?

Do you know if there are still spots or is it going to be mostly waitlist spots left?
I hope there are still some spots. I'm interviewing in March.

Does anyone know when the first day of class is for 2015-2016? I tried looking on the website but it only had the calendar dates for 2013 and 2014.

Just got my interview moved up. Une on the 18th yakima on the 21st.

Does anyone know when the first day of class is for 2015-2016? I tried looking on the website but it only had the calendar dates for 2013 and 2014.
A couple weeks ago I called the admissions office and even they don't know yet. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the possible curriculum change.

@Rogert I remember there being some talk about it earlier in the thread--so look through the pages of comments (I think "I.V" said some stuff about them liking non-traditionals and spanish speaking etc.)
Just like any other med school they are looking for people that fit their mission statement. I don't think it's out of line for them to accept students in accordance with what the school is trying to accomplish.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of my new future classmates! Excited to get to know all of you. If you can or haven't yet, hop on
Facebook and join our class of 2019 group.

Done! Or at least sent a request! Can't wait to get to know everybody! :D

Just got moved up to Feb!

So, is anyone flying into SeaTac Friday night and want to split a car?

How long does it take them to send out the interview invitation after the status on self-service has changed to "Interview"? I'd like to hear from them soon so I can ask for the Feb date.

Congrats on the interview.

What was the time frame between "committee" and "interview"

Edit: I was "complete" 1/8/15, and in "committee" 1/29/15

How long does it take them to send out the interview invitation after the status on self-service has changed to "Interview"? I'd like to hear from them soon so I can ask for the Feb date.
I just got moved to Feb yesterday after sitting in the March group since November. It might help if you are from the northwest but if not you might have to wait till march. I was complete beginning of November and between the third and 21st I have four interviews. So be patient there is a decent amount of seats left everywhere!

How are you able to view the self service? I don't recall any email that gave a link to monitor the status of your application. I am from the NW however and received a letter saying they thought I was a good candidate and all and basically to apply sooner. Are all the seats filled? Any other updates? I didn't get my secondary in until the end of december :(

How are you able to view the self service? I don't recall any email that gave a link to monitor the status of your application. I am from the NW however and received a letter saying they thought I was a good candidate and all and basically to apply sooner. Are all the seats filled? Any other updates? I didn't get my secondary in until the end of december :(
I received an email with a username and password the day after submitting a secondary.

Congrats on the interview.

What was the time frame between "committee" and "interview"

Edit: I was "complete" 1/8/15, and in "committee" 1/29/15

I was "complete" on 1/6/2015 and my status changed from "committee" to "interview" on 2/4/2015, but I haven't received and email or phone call yet. Guess they're still sorting stuff out.

I just got moved to Feb yesterday after sitting in the March group since November. It might help if you are from the northwest but if not you might have to wait till march. I was complete beginning of November and between the third and 21st I have four interviews. So be patient there is a decent amount of seats left everywhere!

Did you check self service daily? Was there a time gap between when your status changed to "Interview" and when you received your interview invite by mail/phone?

Did you check self service daily? Was there a time gap between when your status changed to "Interview" and when you received your interview invite by mail/phone?
It was email. The turn around was super fast. It was the last application I submitted and the first interview invite I had

I was "complete" on 1/6/2015 and my status changed from "committee" to "interview" on 2/4/2015, but I haven't received and email or phone call yet. Guess they're still sorting stuff out.

I wonder if I'm shuffled into the committee after you. I've been checking the portal non-stop!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! Unfortunately, my 3/28 interview may be one of the last interviews I am invited to attend this cycle (with no acceptances). I am aware that PNWU does MMI plus a "group activity" portion. Can any previous interviewees comment on how they prepared for this format? I'm assuming it's a closed file MMI.

Last edited:
@pglo

I prepared intensely for the interview in various ways. I kept reading that that 'the only thing that prepares you for an MMI is your life leading up to it.' I scoffed at that idea and I wasn't going to sit on my hands leading up to one of the biggest decision day.

First I combed through the SDN PNWU thread for the past 3 years to get any relevant information on formats, q-types etc. What I gathered from that and my interview experience last month, is that the format and question type seems highly variable. Some says 8 MMI, some says there were scenario playout with actors, etc. I've read that MMI's are shorter than conventional with 1min read & 5min answering time. Mine was just 3 MMI + faculty interview about application + group interview. Time given was 2min read&8min answer. The buZzer goes off to tell you when you are done. Group discussion had 9 interviewee. 2 staffs gave us topic for discussion and just observed and took notes while we discussed. I won't be surprised if it changes again.

Second, I viewed practically all the YouTube videos about medical school interviews. I bought books on Amazon to look for 'correct' ways to answer a MMI q. I liked YouTube videos and free e-book by Kevin Ahern.

Then I practiced like crazy with friends and coworkers. I even did a dress rehearsal few days prior to interview. (I wanted to make sure I'm comfortable in the suit I wear.)
I started off bumbling a lot and being overly passionate with all my answers. By the time I was on my dress rehearsal, I was calm, my words were neatly organized, my thoughts sharp enough to cut through a phone book. I felt ready for battle!

I made sure I took a break from all these prep a day or two prior to interview. Relax and take it easy, tried to forget about everything I learned.

On interview day, I did forget everything I learned. With adrenaline rushing, I wasn't calm and sharp like during my dress rehearsal. I was exactly back to how I was prior to all preparation. But I was my true self, passionate and sincere. Sometimes passion speaks more than words I suppose.

All the prep did help calm my nerves during the days leading up to the interview. I wouldn't say it was useless, but it was also not all that helpful either. In the end, I agreed with the idea i scoffed about. 'The only thing that prepares for an MMI is the life leading up to it.'

Reactions: 2 users
Let's stay positive! An interview no matter what is the next step on your journey to medical school. If this year is not the one, then it will help your chances next year. They accept a variety of people so don't be afraid to be yourself! Good luck and have fun :)

Hey just curious how long people were complete before an Interview invite?

Hey just curious how long people were complete before an Interview invite?
Hi exitonly29,

Great to see you here! I applied on 10/2 and was complete on 10/22 and offered II on 10/29. Compared to OHSU, the admissions process at this school is light years ahead and I think all medical schools in the country should follow PNWU's protocol. The only issue is they schedule interviews long into the future (as in they scheduled me for Feb even though got 1/24 date). And got accepted a week after interview. And the school is awesome and loved the laid back attitude of the students. PM me and will be glad to share more info.

My interview experience:

Thought some folks might benefit from my experience at PNWU. Prior to applying to DO programs, I was gang ho about getting to MD programs and never even bothered to check the Osteopathic medicine out. This is despite the fact that my older brother who is also interested in medicine advised me about the great opportunities available with the DO. And as always he is right and I am wrong. After exploring more about the field and after visiting PNWU, I was taken aback at how similar the two systems are despite what we see here on SDN.

At the end of the day, once capacity to be a great doctor resides in us and not on the degree that is pasted on the white coat. And I only managed to submit secondary for PNWU and they treated me so nicely that I fell in love with the school. And the DO candidates I met are supper chill unlike the MD ones I met on interviews. I am still in the running for more interviews but I would equally love to attend PNWU.

As for the school, it is small compared to other big places I went to. However, the fact that the whole building is dedicated to training doctors is a plus. I am also a nature guy and looking at those mountain ranges while dissecting your cadaver is awesome (those who toured the cool anatomy lab will understand). I also liked the small townish feel of Yakima and growing up in rural Africa myself, it reminds me of the value of being closer to nature. The school is building more structure in place and it seems PNWU is taking off but this can only be good for aspiring docs who want to work in various academic and clinical settings.

What sold me on the school is the people. Both the interviewees and the faculty, admissions, students---they all looked happy and I like that. Every medical school can give you the training needed (thanks to Flexnor report et al) but you want to go to the place that makes you happy! I am from the area and this also adds another dimension in terms of how I approach school selection. Above all, the faculty presenter said that PNWU can even look after its graduates for jobs (i.e. beyond residency) for people who want to stay in the area. I thought that was cool! I have never seen any school that talks about your job prospect at interviews.

Finally, I enjoyed my trip down at Yakima albeit being lost in the middle of the night (talk about dangerous driving). Only caveat is cost: it is on the higher end of the spectrum. But I was very impressed by the school and can confidently say that PNWU can make you into the doctor that you have always wanted to be! The rest is hard-work, perseverance and a commitment to a life of service! Hope that helps and good luck!

I was recently offered an interview as well. How do you go about this? I click the link, but it does not bring me to any date sign up. Tracy called and said I would most likely get in a March interview. Do you sign up for a date through the self service or should I be expecting an email?

I was recently offered an interview as well. How do you go about this? I click the link, but it does not bring me to any date sign up. Tracy called and said I would most likely get in a March interview. Do you sign up for a date through the self service or should I be expecting an email?

Congrats! It takes a couple days for them to send the interview invite. You should get it via email, and it will be for March 28 because they're filled for Feb. You have the option to sign up for the waitlist for the Feb interview day in case someone cancels or moves their day.

Hello group! I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to my future, fellow, classmates. I interviewed on January 24th, and was called the following Friday with an offer of acceptance. I have to say, having interviewed at other schools in the past, that PNWU is extremely organized and expeditious with regard to interviews and acceptances. Aside from this, I was quite impressed with the facilities and the professionalism of both the staff and 1st & 2nd year students.

If any of you are interviewing in March (the final interview day), there should be about 30 to 40 spots left (but don't quote me on that, as I am only estimating given the number of students that were there when I interviewed). When I interviewed on the 24th, 67 of the 140 spots had been confirmed, and there were about 80 students interviewing that day (40 in the morning, 40 in the afternoon). It is, of course, only a conjecture, but I imagine March will be similar; in terms of prospective students.

Caveat: I am not originally from the Pacific Northwest, as I moved to Portland, OR last March (so I am not quite a resident as of yet). However, as alluded to by previous posts, this school does prefer people from the region or have intentions on staying. I knew that from having perused the website itself, and made sure to emphasize, during my interview, that my intentions were to remain in this region of the country after graduation; a pledge I will keep as I have lived everywhere in the US and find this are most suitable for my proclivities for the majesty of nature, and the variety of people.

Anyway, just wanted to reach out to my fellow classmates for the class of 2019!

If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to respond. I will be happy to meet all of you and answer your questions!

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to get into the PNWU class of 2019 Facebook group yet? I know I'm being impatient but it's been like two weeks and still haven't been added. But until then any guys who are looking for a roommate feel free to hit me up! Trying to get everything sorted out sooner rather than later! Look forward to meeting all of my class of 2019 peers :).

Has anyone been able to get into the PNWU class of 2019 Facebook group yet? I know I'm being impatient but it's been like two weeks and still haven't been added. But until then any guys who are looking for a roommate feel free to hit me up! Trying to get everything sorted out sooner rather than later! Look forward to meeting all of my class of 2019 peers :).
I also haven't been added yet. I'm looking for a female roommate preferably (otherwise a mix with multiple rooms).

I also haven't been added yet. I even messaged the group admin asking to be added. I'm also a female sarahmed14 and would like to like with female housemates too or with a mix and multiple rooms. PM me!

How long did it end up taking? I was recently updated to interview but haven't received an email yet?

No, seems like that link does not work!

Interviewing this Saturday. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and getting to know PNWU more!

Me too. I emailed Hope about it last Thursday and haven't heard anything back yet.
I emailed today she said they were still figuring things out but should hear something tomorrow!

I also haven't been added yet. I'm looking for a female roommate preferably (otherwise a mix with multiple rooms).
did you get into the Facebook group yet? if not I can try sending you an email invite

I got one too. I'm curious why there is a delay.
Yeah it does seem odd to offer interview without dates, maybe there was a conflict and now it's a scramble to get another date/location/everyone involved?

I'm getting anxious to hear something..I have to buy airfare, and arrange for a sub and all of that. I hope we find out soon!!

I'm getting anxious to hear something..I have to buy airfare, and arrange for a sub and all of that. I hope we find out soon!!
Did you interview this last Saturday? Could you please share your experience (or please PM me if you would rather)? I'm interviewing in March.