Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think if you have any other ways of showing to the school that you are interested in DO (received OMM, interest in preventive care, rural medicine etc ) then you will be fine.
Ok that makes sense. I am from a rural town in WA, work in an ER with lots of DOs and have lots of experience with them, I just don't have a DO that I have explicitly shadowed that would write me a LOR. I think I should be fine then as long as they look at the entirety of my application, not just my LORs

Members don't see this ad.

So I turned in my secondary a few days ago and payed already but I didn't add my essay yet. My essays now finished up but I can't find where I'm supposed to send it? I never created a login so I'm kind of confused. Did any of you run into this problem?
Yeah. I basically went back to my email and opened the original link that I used to make the payment. For some reason it didn't say the info I had put in, so I pretty much had to do it twice. But everything other than the essay is pretty straight forward filling out personal information.

are your essays double or single spaced one the single page? I'm guessing single

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
are your essays double or single spaced one the single page? I'm guessing single
I called the school and asked admissions, and they said they don't care either way, as long as they can read it.

still no secondary.....

I'm surprised you haven't gotten one. From what I remember you're from the PNW, and your stats are good. Maybe they do all the OOS people first? I have some ties to Oregon, but nothing substantial.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten one. From what I remember you're from the PNW, and your stats are good. Maybe they do all the OOS people first? I have some ties to Oregon, but nothing substantial.
Ya I am from Oregon. I'm gonna give them a call in a few days if I still don't receive one hahha. Where are you from?

I'm from northern California. I would definitely call if I were you, especially if this school is a top choice for you.

I just got my secondary today. I'm from Northern California as well, and was interested in this school because of the emphasis on rural medicine, but I'm wondering if I should even bother applying? I have a 32 MCAT, 3.36 GPA from UC Berkeley with a double major, lots of research, and 4 years as a hospice volunteer.

I would be lying if I said this was my first choice, but I would love to go here. I know they have a preference for PNW-ers, but does anyone have any concrete info on how many people from CA get in? I've already spent so much money this application cycle, I don't want to throw any more away!

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my secondary today. I'm from Northern California as well, and was interested in this school because of the emphasis on rural medicine, but I'm wondering if I should even bother applying? I have a 32 MCAT, 3.36 GPA from UC Berkeley with a double major, lots of research, and 4 years as a hospice volunteer.

I would be lying if I said this was my first choice, but I would love to go here. I know they have a preference for PNW-ers, but does anyone have any concrete info on how many people from CA get in? I've already spent so much money this application cycle, I don't want to throw any more away!

Here is a chart from AACOM that shows how many people from CA enrolled into PNW. More might have been accepted but decided to enroll elsewhere.

http://www.aacom.org/data/studenten...14 1stYr_Enroll_College_St of Legal Resid.pdf

I'm from northern California. I would definitely call if I were you, especially if this school is a top choice for you.
just got my secondary today haha nice timing.

Maybe I've just had a long day, but what do you do with the secondary essay once you write it? Is there anywhere to upload it after filling out the website page? Thanks. I'm on the strugglebus right now apparently. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I've just had a long day, but what do you do with the secondary essay once you write it? Is there anywhere to upload it after filling out the website page? Thanks. I'm on the strugglebus right now apparently. :)
After you click submit when you have filled out the page, a small window will pop up to make payment. Then after you click "continue" in the payment box, it will lead you to a page to upload the essay in word or PDF format. I believe you can also email in the essay if you have trouble uploading. I forget the email address though. It was in the interaction link from the invite email!

Secondary received today as well! One of the shortest secondaries I have received outside of LECOM.

Does anyone have any experience out of what they might be looking for out of OOR applicants in terms of what to write about? I know it will involve wanting to not only go there but stay in the NW to practice.

Is having an uncle who lives in Alaska considered a tie to the NW?

Hello :)
Does anyone know if we can send in primary application to pnwu before receiving the mcat scores? I'm taking a late mcat (next month) and I'm planning to send in primary only after that (till Feb is ok according to the deadlines given in their website). I was wondering if this is too late? Seems like most of you already received your secondaries and I'm thinking if I should even apply for this cycle since it's too late :-/

Last edited:
Hello :)
Does anyone know if we can send in primary application to pnwu before receiving the mcat scores? I'm taking a late mcat (next month) and I'm planning to send in primary only after that (till Feb is ok according to the deadlines given in their website). I was wondering if this is too late? Seems like most of you already received your secondaries and I'm thinking if I should even apply for this cycle since it's too late :-/

It's def. not too late! Complete your AACOMAS app ASAP and submit. the processing/verification of the primary is the real killer here. PNWU will probably not send you a secondary until you get your MCAT since I believe the screen out. It's not too late! Apply!

Secondary and LOR's sent. Hoping my experience as a musician in a not so familiar genre will catch the attention of the AdCom there. I'm pretty set on eventually residing in the Northwest! Good luck to all!

I would be lying if I said this was my first choice...

I would be very cautious about posting this kind of thing on a public forum. Your honesty is refreshing, but you've given any ADCOM members reading this more than enough information to identify you. Best not to tell them the school isn't your first choice. For better or worse, schools prefer to extend offers to those they think are most likely to accept.

I would be very cautious about posting this kind of thing on a public forum. Your honesty is refreshing, but you've given any ADCOM members reading this more than enough information to identify you. Best not to tell them the school isn't your first choice. For better or worse, schools prefer to extend offers to those they think are most likely to accept.

Well, in this case, I'm not particularly worried, as I'm probably not going to complete the secondary. I think my chances as OOS are too slim here. Good advice, though.

So here I am again. Has anyone received any kind of confirmation of the secondary? I submitted my essays and made my payment a couple weeks ago now, but still haven't received any kind of response. I know they were working on getting the new students oriented and stuff. Also, anyone gotten any interview invites? It is still a bit early, but I'm curious to see whereabouts they are in the process.

So here I am again. Has anyone received any kind of confirmation of the secondary? I submitted my essays and made my payment a couple weeks ago now, but still haven't received any kind of response. I know they were working on getting the new students oriented and stuff. Also, anyone gotten any interview invites? It is still a bit early, but I'm curious to see whereabouts they are in the process.

Hey, I received a confirmation that they got my secondary and a login username and password. I did, however, call Ms. Hope of admissions because of my essay problem I was having so she might have been specifically looking for my secondary. I don't think there will be any invites anytime soon though. We'll see
though.

Finally some contact from them. I received a new login name and password, and my status appears complete. I completed the secondary 8/2 I think.

Update: I got my login and password as well. Looks like they got all their M1s settles in and are getting the ball rolling on admissions

Yep same here. Hopefully we will start to hear from them about ii. Good luck all.

I received a complete email just now saying my file is now under review. This is two days after receiving an email with the portal password/log in information.

Just rechecked my status on their Self-Service account. On my application status the decision says "Interview" on August 22. This was the same day I received a email stating I was complete.

So now I'm unsure if this means a decision has been made on my application! Messed up!

Edit: If any other applicant wants to go on their Self-Service account and confirm that I either actually got a review or am being trolled by my own neuroticism please let me know!

Last edited:
how do you check your status on the self service account?

Just rechecked my status on their Self-Service account. On my application status the decision says "Interview" on August 22. This was the same day I received a email stating I was complete.

So now I'm unsure if this means a decision has been made on my application! Messed up!

Edit: If any other applicant wants to go on their Self-Service account and confirm that I either actually got a review or am being trolled by my own neuroticism please let me know!

I got this too. Under decision it says interview and on the checklist it says "Admissions Interview"... So this is hopefully a good sign. I'm going to wait a couple days to see if I get an actual e-mail and if not then I'll call and see what's up..

I got this too. Under decision it says interview and on the checklist it says "Admissions Interview"... So this is hopefully a good sign. I'm going to wait a couple days to see if I get an actual e-mail and if not then I'll call and see what's up..

Sad day. I was feeling hopefully, I checked under mine and as of 8/22 mine says "committee"

Oh okay so you guys received the email after they said your application was complete?

Cross our fingers. Am feeling pretty confident it means what it says because of the change from "committee" to "interview"

Oh okay so you guys received the email after they said your application was complete?

Correct. My application on Self-Service was actually complete 8/21 but I received the complete email 8/22. Have not received any communication regarding an II yet. But my status has changed from "committee" to "interview" on the decisions area of the applicant status.

@AlteredScale , I also have the same application timeline as you but it still says committee for me. I think you should be expecting an II email soon!

@AlteredScale , I also have the same application timeline as you but it still says committee for me. I think you should be expecting an II email soon!

That's great news! :) I believe the same will happen for you very soon as well! Best of luck! @DRARAK12 PM me if you wanna meet up at the interview or something!

I was complete 8/22, and my status also says "interview." Hopefully we all hear this week about interviews! Best of luck to everyone. I'm really looking forward to checking out this school.

Mine says 8/22/14 No Decision. Complete 8/19. Ready set analyze :(

Guys, so I was verified on 8/22 as well and I just checked my status and it says pending. On my checklist it stated that I have a Academic Prerequisites tasks I need to do. Have any of you ran into that problem?

Interview invite via email today! The email said they are still working on the date, but they will notify me once it is finalized.

II today! Complete 8/21, interview decision made 8/22 (via account). OOS no ties except for having an uncle who lives in Alaska.

Am wondering if any current students have tips about the MMI process?

II today! Complete 8/21, interview decision made 8/22 (via account). OOS no ties except for having an uncle who lives in Alaska.

Am wondering if any current students have tips about the MMI process?

Congratz! Best of luck to you. My account is saying completed 8/19 with Committee decision 8/22 hopefully they switch that up to an interview soon. I'm feeling hopeful. :)

Under "Decision/ Date", it says "Committee 8/21/14", does that mean my app was evaluated on 8/21, meaning a potential decision has already been made or that it started its evaluation process on 8/21, which add 2-3 weeks from this date?

Under "Decision/ Date", it says "Committee 8/21/14", does that mean my app was evaluated on 8/21, meaning a potential decision has already been made or that it started its evaluation process on 8/21, which add 2-3 weeks from this date?
I'm not sure. Mine says the exact same thing. I am neurotically refreshing my page to see if it changes.

Congratz! Best of luck to you. My account is saying completed 8/19 with Committee decision 8/22 hopefully they switch that up to an interview soon. I'm feeling hopeful. :)

Thank you! Without a doubt I'm sure you'll land one as well!

So if it says "committee" I believe that means that your application is pending for review by the committee. That's what I had on the first day my application was complete. I didn't check for a week because I wanted to keep my BP down that day haha.

I'd say check at the end of the day and also in the next few days. If interviews are rolling out then that means reviews are happening right now.