Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Portal changed to Interview! Since I haven't received an email about it yet, does anyone have the dates for the remaining interview days this cycle?
Only March 25th left

Members don't see this ad.

Is the admissions office receptive to anything that will move my interview date to an earlier one? Or is it based purely on cancellations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the admissions office receptive to anything that will move my interview date to an earlier one? Or is it based purely on cancellations?
I would call Hope. She is really nice and can give you more information since she is the individual in charge of the interview scheduling. I called and talked to her and she was very helpful. And like a week later I got my interview moved up. Not sure if calling had anything to do about it, but it may have helped.

Any recent II? I've been on committee 12/15 and have not heard anything...
How long did it take everyone to receive an II?

Any recent II? I've been on committee 12/15 and have not heard anything...
How long did it take everyone to receive an II?
FYI the only date left is in April and is most likely wait list only.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup. They added an April one last cycle as well. Wait list only.

Cancellations
Agreed. I emailed Hope and she said there are still others ahead of me waiting to get moved to an earlier interview. There's a line, but I'm not sure if they prioritize it base on other factors than when u initially got the II.

Hello class of 2020 hopefuls and matriculating students. I am currently a first year and wanted to introduce myself, and answer any questions you may have about the school, Yakima, the curriculum, the professors, or anything else you can think of. I know when I was in your position these forums were super helpful for me, so I though I would return the favor. One of the philosophies that is championed at this school is the concept of Ubuntu, and as it happens to be a philosophy that I admire and have since adopted, if any of you have any questions, don't hesitate to message me.

Reactions: 2 users
Hopefully! :) When did you get the interview and when were you placed on committee if you don't mind me asking?
FYI between committee and ii for me was about 4 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the interview open file?? Did anyone get questions about their stats?

Anyone know how filled the class of 2020 is yet?

Are questions about your stats asked during one of the MMIs?

II according to my portal status!!! SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI to the best of my knowledge only the April wait list date is available.
Hopefully there will be movement. What date is your interview?

Just found this thread.
Complete 12/10
II 12/18
Interview Date 03/25

Marc I love that you're spreading Ubuntu already! I'm also here if you guys have any questions (I'm a first year) , and will see you at the OMM demo! If anyone is interested in coming by the coffee shop to ask questions the night before please let me know.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewing here this weekend!!

Reactions: 2 users
How have people been preparing for their interview here??? I'm nervous I never been to an MMI

Pretty much just going over the questions openly with a friend just casually. It helps me just talk fluidly so the interview hopefully goes better.
How have people been preparing for their interview here??? I'm nervous I never been to an MMI

Yeah I would just review their website and curriculum and make sure you know why you would go there. Also, for the MMIs it is really difficult to prepare but they are really not that bad. After the first one, you get comfortable with them.

Hello all,

Interviewing here this Saturday. One thing after looking through this thread is that this school quickly notifies you of your acceptance/denial after interview. Seems like most people find out about 5 days after interview. Does this seem accurate? Thanks

Hello all,

Interviewing here this Saturday. One thing after looking through this thread is that this school quickly notifies you of your acceptance/denial after interview. Seems like most people find out about 5 days after interview. Does this seem accurate? Thanks
Pretty much yes. Keep glued to your portal. They will probably tell you when decisions are sent out at your interview day, but your portal will tell you the instant they make and publish the decision.

Pretty much yes. Keep glued to your portal. They will probably tell you when decisions are sent out at your interview day, but your portal will tell you the instant they make and publish the decision.

That is crazy to me considering OHSU took 14 weeks to review my application. Interviewed 1 month later and then got the decision 3 months after that last year. Well, cheers to not waiting that long.

By chance do you know how full the class is? I've seen that everyone with the March interview date said it was for the wait list. Is that the same for January interviews?

For those who have interviewed, would you recommend giving a CV to each interviewer (each MMI)?

For those who have interviewed, would you recommend giving a CV to each interviewer (each MMI)?
No. There is only one station that even talks about your application. It would be out of place in the others.

My interview is 03/25. Is this just for the waitlist?

My interview is 03/25. Is this just for the waitlist?

Hi, Bon22.

I am a OMS IV at PNWU. I do not know if your interview will be wait list only, but I would not be too worried if it is. Wait lists move A LOT, so you have a solid chance of getting off of it if you interview well. Also, my interview was wait list only, but I came away with a deferred acceptance, which means that you are accepted for the next application cycle. It also moves you to the top of the wait list if there are openings. I am not sure if the school is still doing this, but it is worth interviewing for the chance.

Hi, Bon22.

I am a OMS IV at PNWU. I do not know if your interview will be wait list only, but I would not be too worried if it is. Wait lists move A LOT, so you have a solid chance of getting off of it if you interview well. Also, my interview was wait list only, but I came away with a deferred acceptance, which means that you are accepted for the next application cycle. It also moves you to the top of the wait list if there are openings. I am not sure if the school is still doing this, but it is worth interviewing for the chance.
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but does PNWU start wait list movement after the last interview date (April)? Or are they continuously adding to and accepting from the wait list? I'm asking because I have the April interview date scheduled and feel even worse than Bon22 since it's the last date.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but does PNWU start wait list movement after the last interview date (April)? Or are they continuously adding to and accepting from the wait list? I'm asking because I have the April interview date scheduled and feel even worse than Bon22 since it's the last date.
They actually look at the wait list people throughout the whole cycle. What we were told is that if you go wait listed, for example in October, there is a chance you will get accepted after the next batch of interviewers in November.

Hi, Bon22.

Hey Kphrogg, because you are one of the only PNWU students I have seen on this forum that is currently doing rotations, would you be willing to comment on your experiences rotating?

I interviewed on the next to last interview date of my year and got in, so anything is possible. Unfortunately, I do not know when they start the wait list movement.

Hey Kphrogg, because you are one of the only PNWU students I have seen on this forum that is currently doing rotations, would you be willing to comment on your experiences rotating?
I am happy to. I have really enjoyed my rotation experience. The rotations at my rotation site are not particularly structured (I am not sure how they are at the other sites). However, being someone who is used to making the most of whatever my situation is, I have been proactive about getting procedures and seeing the cases that I want to see. Given that you are usually the only student currently rotating at a clinic or particular hospital department, you get a lot of one-on-one time with your preceptor, are first assist on surgeries, and get to see whatever cases or do whatever procedures that you want.

Any thoughts on those who recently interviewed ? What did u guys think? Was it stressful ?

Any thoughts on those who recently interviewed ? What did u guys think? Was it stressful ?
So I recently interviewed and while I was pretty stressed out, it was mostly self-induced. Everyone I met was really nice, very welcoming. Of the MMI sessions only one left me feeling uneasy about my answer and that feeling seemed to be shared among all of the other interviewees. It sounds like some people got a little more pushback than others on their answer. Other than that I found the MMIs fun, each sparked conversations that could have gone for much longer than the allotted 8 mins. I also really appreciated the one that allowed you to discuss your application briefly, I used the opportunity to give a few updates and point out things that I thought made me a good fit. The group activity was easy, everyone was very PC and polite, but I can see the chance for someone steamrolling the conversation.

Other thoughts, lunch was less than impressive, I was glad I brought a snack. And they don't give you a folder/pens, coffee, water bottles so if you want that stuff make sure to bring it. I was parched and really wishing I had a water bottle.

They said we would know our results by Friday, fingers crossed!! Good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with the above comments. I recently interviewed and felt that all the staff and students were really down-to-earth and really just wanted to get to know you. Some of the MMIs were hard to tell how well I did, since they asked follow up questions to my responses, but I didn't really feel like I was being tested or anything.

I got a bit nervous in 1 or 2 of my sessions, so my only suggestion is to just try and stay as calm as possible, and be yourself. The activities before the MMIs were great ice breakers because they were very stress- free.

Good luck to everyone who interviewed with me!

Thank you guys so much !! How can one prepare ?? U think doing a bunch of ethical questions would help ??

Thank you guys so much !! How can one prepare ?? U think doing a bunch of ethical questions would help ??

No ethical questions came up for me. More of questions about your own personal experiences, and how they will help your future. I prepared by looking at MMI questions, and it wasn't really helpful. I would say review all of your experiences, have something to say about how they impacted you, and have an idea of where you see your future in medicine.

I interviewed this last Saturday as well. I thought it was a really good experience. I did zero prep. I went in knowing my application, admitting my shortcomings, being myself and honest and just enjoying the opportunity. Remember, the whole day is an "interview" regardless of what you are doing. They want to see how you will fit in with their school and their mission, so your best bet is to just be yourself, socialize and try to minimize any stress or anxiety you have. Having this attitude going in, I didn't have an ounce of sweat on me the whole time and was able to enjoy it from start to finish. Good luck to anyone interviewing or waiting for that call!

Just cancelled my interview for March 25th. I hope someone gets my spot.