Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II last night! Scheduled for October 3rd, see you guys there!

Reactions: 1 user
Under review by the committee today. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Very thoughtful of them to offer II on Saturdays, I like!

Congrats to those with IIs and committee reviews. Im still at "app complete" and "no decision". I submitted in early August

Committee as of today as well

+1, but as of yesterday I believe. I called them the day before and asked if my file was indeed complete and my status changed the next morning .

Did not receive an official email, but in the portal it says interview. :love:
Do you guys know what is the acceptance rate post interview for IS?

Very excited about this place. Hoping to get an II here since my family lives around the area.

Did not receive an official email, but in the portal it says interview. :love:
Do you guys know what is the acceptance rate post interview for IS?

It's pretty high. If you are IS and have average to above average stats, you really have to be a douche during the interview in order to be rejected or wait listed. This is another mission based school. Their number one priority is to educate physicians for rural parts of Washington and keep them there. Interviewees need to express interest and knowledge of the issues in rural Washington. If you are an interviewee with high stats and treat this school like a backup plan, you will be rejected. Interviewees need to have their answers for quests like why PNWU and why DO down hard. Another possible hardcore quest might be the healthcare issue in rural Washington and your plan to fix it. Naturally, it's going to be super easy to answer these quests if you are IS.

Members don't see this ad :)
First DO II- undecided date.

Reactions: 1 users
First DO II- undecided date.

Did you just get notified today? Also, when does t say that your packet went to committee? My packet has been at committee for a while, but I was complete July 22nd and am contemplating hibernating until I hear back from here...

Did you just get notified today? Also, when does t say that your packet went to committee? My packet has been at committee for a while, but I was complete July 22nd and am contemplating hibernating until I hear back from here...
Yep, was notified today. I received a complete/under review by committee e-mail on 8/5, which also mentioned that it takes 4-6+ weeks to hear back about interviews. I recall a PNWU recruiter saying that their review doesn't really begin until September regardless of application submission dates so they've just started. Sit tight. Could be any day now!

Yep, was notified today. I received a complete/under review by committee e-mail on 8/5, which also mentioned that it takes 4-6+ weeks to hear back about interviews. I recall a PNWU recruiter saying that their review doesn't really begin until September regardless of application submission dates so they've just started. Sit tight. Could be any day now!

Hopefully I will hear something this afternoon! Good luck.

So most of you all had a turnaround from committee of a few weeks?

How do you guys prepare for MMI? I need some tips, because this is my only school with MMI format so far :eek:
Any ideas if its mostly work in groups, ethical questions?
I found this to be very helpful, it goes over typical ethical issues. Uhh really wish I took medical ethics at the U. :smack:
https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/

My portal status just changed to "Committee / 9/11/15." I was complete 8/18/15.

How do you guys prepare for MMI? I need some tips, because this is my only school with MMI format so far :eek:
Any ideas if its mostly work in groups, ethical questions?
I found this to be very helpful, it goes over typical ethical issues. Uhh really wish I took medical ethics at the U. :smack:
https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/
MMIs are hard to actually "prepare" for. At PNWU, you'll have a few that will ask you about your application, and then there will be a few with ethical/application questions. There's no way to predict what questions you will be asked. It's far more likely that you will have to think on your feet (which is precisely the reason they ask you these types of questions). Relax and use your best judgement.

Hey all, when you submitted the secondary, did you get an email confirmation? I hit finish and it just took me to a random window and im not sure if it was submitted or not...

Hey all, when you submitted the secondary, did you get an email confirmation? I hit finish and it just took me to a random window and im not sure if it was submitted or not...
After I finished the application and paid, I got an email a day later with a link to check the status.

So I sent my transcripts electronically, and I just received notification they had been downloaded. Anyone else have this happen? I'm thinking it may just mean its under review by the committee but the portal still says 'No Decision"

I just submitted my supplement yesterday and got a login etc.. How long did it take until you were all complete?

Also, what do you guys know of the screening process here.. I heard it pretty heavy and only send out supplements to those they consider competitive ...

Also, what do you guys know of the screening process here.. I heard it pretty heavy and only send out supplements to those they consider competitive ...
Not sure about supplemental applications, but I know they will be interviewing fewer applicants this year relative to previous years.

Not sure about supplemental applications, but I know they will be interviewing fewer applicants this year relative to previous years.

Can you elaborate? Why are they interviewing less?

My status has changed to committee but I didnt get an email informing me of the update.

Can you elaborate? Why are they interviewing less?
Increased amount of applications, and they can get away with interviewing less people than they have in the past to fill the class of 140. Less work than interviewing 800 to take 140 students.

Increased amount of applications, and they can get away with interviewing less people than they have in the past to fill the class of 140. Less work than interviewing 800 to take 140 students.

Hmm I don't know why that would translate into interviewing less applicants then in previous years though. I would think they would just interview the same.

they accept far more than what the class can hold... not everyone that gets in decides to go there

My status changed from "supplement" to "complete." Does the "committee" status come after this?

they accept far more than what the class can hold... not everyone that gets in decides to go there
I'm well aware of that. Let's just say that a little birdy at the school told me that's what's going to be happening. Just look at the stats: they interviewed ~800 applicants last year to make 240 offers for 140 seats. Why waste limited resources and time interviewing that many people?

Secondary Completed August 18th
II Today
Somewhat worried about their OOS acceptance rates, being that I live in California. I have a 31 MCAT (11,9,11), 3.58 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA
I would really love to practice and live in Washington, and I come from a rural underserved area in California, so I hope that helps me a bit.

I'm well aware of that. Let's just say that a little birdy at the school told me that's what's going to be happening. Just look at the stats: they interviewed ~800 applicants last year to make 240 offers for 140 seats. Why waste limited resources and time interviewing that many people?

That is certainly the goal of every adcom. However, filling up seat is the number #1 priority. I certainly think that they will screen applicants heavily in order to make sure that the interviewees are possibly the right fit before bringing them in. Of all the schools out there, I think PNWU will be very heavily biased in state. I'm living in Washington and Yakima is definitely its own unique place. Like all DOs, I expect the questions Why DO and Why PNWU to be heavily scrutinized in order to find the right students for this school.

Secondary Completed August 18th
II Today
Somewhat worried about their OOS acceptance rates, being that I live in California. I have a 31 MCAT (11,9,11), 3.58 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA
I would really love to practice and live in Washington, and I come from a rural underserved area in California, so I hope that helps me a bit.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. We have numerous people from California in our class. So long as you're a qualified applicant, you shouldn't have any issues.

Secondary completed 8/24
Committee today (!!) 9/15
fingers crossed, trying not to hyperventilate....

Hmm.. I guess that does seem kind of low. Seems like it's slightly higher for the class of 2019. Either way, if you're a desirable applicant, being from California won't hinder you. Coming from a rural area and saying you'd like to practice in Washington will do wonders.
There aren't even any matriculants from my entire REGION. Talk about low odds. But I'm rural, so that counts for something right? Haha

Going nuts...Complete 7/22, committee 9/3....still haven't heard anything. Really, really, really hoping that tomorrow is the day!

Going nuts...Complete 7/22, committee 9/3....still haven't heard anything. Really, really, really hoping that tomorrow is the day!

Same here! I've probably checked 100 times. Getting nervous!

Reactions: 1 users
My status changed to interview on the portal but I haven't received an email or anything. Anybody else experience this? Does this mean I have an interview?

Reactions: 3 users
My status changed to interview on the portal but I haven't received an email or anything. Anybody else experience this? Does this mean I have an interview?

Congrats! When did your status go to "committee", if you don't mind sharing?

Congrats! When did your status go to "committee", if you don't mind sharing?
Thanks! On the portal it went from incomplete to complete (8/27) to interview (9/15). It never showed "committee" unless it was just for a little bit because I check it like 1000x per day...