Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received II email just now. Complete 8/24.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone interviewing the weekend of Oct 2nd staying a couple of days before hand to explore Yakima?

Members don't see this ad :)
My status changed to interview on the portal but I haven't received an email or anything. Anybody else experience this? Does this mean I have an interview?
yes you do!

Does PNWU require an acceptance answer by a certain date after being offered a spot in the next class?

Interviewing October 3rd! So excited. I'm not going to want to come back to the east coast after going back to Washington for the weekend.

I grew up in Portland but my family lives in Washington/Oregon.

Anyone knows the timetable from committee review to II?

Reactions: 2 users
I just found out that my pre-health advisor forgot to attach a cover letter with my letter of rec packet that I sent through Interfolio. My file here is already complete. How should I proceed??? Should I resend them to all the schools I'm already complete at/have applied to and send them an update email? I don't want to push back my file being reviewed but I also don't want to not have a committee letter when my school provides them. What should I do?

I just found out that my pre-health advisor forgot to attach a cover letter with my letter of rec packet that I sent through Interfolio. My file here is already complete. How should I proceed??? Should I resend them to all the schools I'm already complete at/have applied to and send them an update email? I don't want to push back my file being reviewed but I also don't want to not have a committee letter when my school provides them. What should I do?
I would say to just contact admissions of each school and find out the preferences of each one. Some might not care, and some others will.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much about it. We have numerous people from California in our class. So long as you're a qualified applicant, you shouldn't have any issues.

Additionally to consider in your decision on a medical school is if you care where you might rotate though. Coming from California - most likely you will be placed in Montana or Alaska for third and fourth year with the remote possibility of Walla Walla or a new rotation in northern washington state. Not that this is a bad fact - I just think students need all the facts when weighing schools to matriculate to eventually.

Reactions: 1 users
For current students, can any of you comment on the changes to the curriculum that occurred for this cycle? I visited the school over the summer and was told that there were going to be quite a few changes.
The biggest thing I'm wondering is if they have shifted from block exams to integrated exams.

For current students, can any of you comment on the changes to the curriculum that occurred for this cycle? I visited the school over the summer and was told that there were going to be quite a few changes.
The biggest thing I'm wondering is if they have shifted from block exams to integrated exams.
We did have an overhaul of the curriculum. I suppose I don't have anything for comparison (seeing as I'm a first year), but I really like it so far. We only just finished the 5th week, but so far we've done a little bit of everything (genetics, molecular bio, histo, biochem, and of course anatomy and OPP). I've heard mixed opinions about have the grab bag of classes vs. 2 weeks pure biochem, 2 weeks pure genetics, etc. I appreciate the variety because it gives you a break if you find one topic less interesting than another. We're going to be starting our systems classes in November, starting with musculoskeletal and cardiovascular.

We don't have block exams like previous classes did. We have separate exams for each class (OPP, Anatomy, and SciFOM--all of the sciences classes together). Overall, I'm more impressed with the school than I thought I would be coming in. I guess it remains to be seen whether appreciation persists beyond the preclinical years.

Additionally to consider in your decision on a medical school is if you care where you might rotate though. Coming from California - most likely you will be placed in Montana or Alaska for third and fourth year with the remote possibility of Walla Walla or a new rotation in northern washington state. Not that this is a bad fact - I just think students need all the facts when weighing schools to matriculate to eventually.
So, if someone is from out of the area they place them in the farthest rotations (Alaska)? Yikes. I am from CA and would prefer to do rotations in washington or oregon.

So, if someone is from out of the area they place them in the farthest rotations (Alaska)? Yikes. I am from CA and would prefer to do rotations in washington or oregon.

It's probably because the school tries to keep students close to their families if possible. A large number of students are from Washington, so I'm assuming that is why OOS students travel to other states for rotations

No they don't intentionally place them in the furthest rotations - they place them in the rotations where there is less student priority. For example - A lot of students come from areas near or in Boise, Idaho or Seattle/SeaTac Washington. It would be near impossible for a student who didn't graduate high school there, college there, have a spouse there, home there/or even CURRENTLY renting there when priority placement starts in the second year of med school (how does THAT work even to be renting two places?!), etc. I've only listed 3 factors of priority but there were like 8 different qualifications of priority. Therefore, big cities in the Pacific Northwest where we have rotations set up more likely than not will have those 8 - 14 rotation spots filled by students with a heavy history there.

Therefore students from outside of the Pacific NW get placed where the chances of having a PNWU student with priority are lower - some of the Montana sites, Some of the Alaska sites, new sites in small towns like Hermiston, OR.

This isn't a good or bad thing. I've heard stories of some amazing rotation preceptors being in those places. I just think that information being out there and clear before you get two years into medical school and only then find out that you aren't going to rotate in Washington like you thought because your gf or bf is there or because your parents moved there. The criteria is very specific for establishing priority:

Priority Status:

In an attempt to allow students from the 5-State region to rotate closest to where they are from (defined by one of the following):

i. Born (confirmed by Birth Certificate)

ii. Grad HS (confirmed with HS diploma)

iii. Grad College (confirmed with College diploma)

iv. Had residence in city at the time of matriculation (Confirmed with dated monthly bills)

v. Had residence in city at the time of matriculation and maintained residence (Confirmed with dated monthly bills)

vi. “Priority Status” can be allotted for a non-student spouse, provided the spouse qualifies for one of the five above criteria (one point max allotted for the spouse)

Students may select the site closest to where they are from as a “Priority Status”. Priority status will be tiered based on the following formula. One point allotted for each of the above criteria. (Hence a priority status may be worth 1 point to 6 points) The more points,the higher the priority status. In cases where the student is within 30 miles of having geographic proximity to more than one site the student may identify the site of their preference for “Priority Status”.

I've been under committee for over a week now! It's driving me crazy :(.

Last edited:
I've been under committee for over a week now! It's driving me crazy :(. I'm not a PNW resident, but I used to work there and it's where I plan on settling down so PNW COM is actually one of my top choices.
Yeah, mine has been in committee status for 2 1/2 weeks now. It's still early in the cycle. We'll hear back soon.

I've been under committee for over a week now! It's driving me crazy :(. I'm not a PNW resident, but I used to work there and it's where I plan on settling down so PNW COM is actually one of my top choices.

Almost three weeks for me.

Almost three weeks for me.
Good to hear it's not just me then! Was getting worried after someone said they were in committee status for just a week before interview.

Just off the phone with them - the two admissions coordinators have been out on training the past two days, so no apps have been reviewed. They will resume looking at applications tomorrow!

Gave up my interview here next week, hope it goes to someone great! Good luck everyone!

Anyone interviewing on October 3rd that is interested in splitting a room Friday night? I am so broke it isn't even funny. I promise that I'm not creepy. I sent an email about staying with a student but still haven't heard anything back.

Anyone interviewing on October 3rd that is interested in splitting a room Friday night? I am so broke it isn't even funny. I promise that I'm not creepy. I sent an email about staying with a student but still haven't heard anything back.

Pm me I might be able to help out.

If you get rejected before interview does it stay stuck on committee? Or does your status change/do you get an email?

Everyone interviewing next week getting excited? :)

Everyone interviewing next week getting excited? :)

You have no idea. I'm actually a little nervous...not about the interview per se, but more so the waiting to hear back after the interview.

Yeah waiting is the hard part, but from what I remember last year, it's a pretty quick response of whether you're accepted, wait listed or rejected

Current second year here. If you have any questions feel free to ask :) congrats on the interview invites!

Current second year here. If you have any questions feel free to ask :) congrats on the interview invites!

I heard that there was a change in the curriculum for first year students compared to last year. Can you expand a little more on this change?

I heard that there was a change in the curriculum for first year students compared to last year. Can you expand a little more on this change?
From my post earlier
We did have an overhaul of the curriculum. I suppose I don't have anything for comparison (seeing as I'm a first year), but I really like it so far. We only just finished the 5th week, but so far we've done a little bit of everything (genetics, molecular bio, histo, biochem, and of course anatomy and OPP). I've heard mixed opinions about have the grab bag of classes vs. 2 weeks pure biochem, 2 weeks pure genetics, etc. I appreciate the variety because it gives you a break if you find one topic less interesting than another. We're going to be starting our systems classes in November, starting with musculoskeletal and cardiovascular.

We don't have block exams like previous classes did. We have separate exams for each class (OPP, Anatomy, and SciFOM--all of the sciences classes together). Overall, I'm more impressed with the school than I thought I would be coming in. I guess it remains to be seen whether appreciation persists beyond the preclinical years.

My status has been on "committee" since 9/11. Is it pretty common for it to take a while before a rejection or II?

I've been on committee since 9/11 as well! I'm starting to worry
Me too! I called admissions and they said they are pretty swamped right now with applications. I also asked if your status changes in the event you are rejected, they said your status should change and you should also get some snail mail.

Does anyone have an idea on how long it takes to receive a secondary after verification of AACOMAS application?
Thanks!