Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary completed 8/24
Committee today (!!) 9/15
fingers crossed, trying not to hyperventilate....

Have you heard back? I was committee 9/15 as well but haven't heard anything

Members don't see this ad.

Have you heard back? I was committee 9/15 as well but haven't heard anything
Nothing yet. Seems like 3-4 weeks is the normal turnaround time based on other's posts. I'll start worrying about it next week.

Reactions: 1 users
IS complete 9/14, status changed to interview this morning in the portal. No email yet. If I recall correctly it said "No Decision" yesterday evening.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from the east coast.... do you think there is any point in applying here? I have no ties to the state.

I'm from the east coast.... do you think there is any point in applying here? I have no ties to the state.
Honestly, they have a pretty strong bias towards students from the PNW but they specifically state that they are also want students interested in rural medicine. I would say roughly 20-30% of students are not from the PNW, so its worth a try if you're interested!

Interviewed there on 10/3 and I think the best part about the interview process is that they get back to you in less than a week. Thursday cannot come soon enough
I definitely agree with you jt.farmer. It stinks being awake right now at work. All I can think about is tomorrow and hoping to get a phone call! :boom:

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely agree with you jt.farmer. It stinks being awake right now at work. All I can think about is tomorrow and hoping to get a phone call! :boom:
I'm 3 hours ahead of pacific time, so I've been up for hours and just keep reminding myself to not freak out and start checking the portal or expecting a phone call until at least 2 pm my time. I'm guessing I won't hear anything until tomorrow anyways since I interviewed the 2nd day.

Good luck to everyone. Every person I met on interview day rocked and i would love for any one of them to become my doctor in the future (I'm saying that before I see your board scores lol, so sentiments may change).

I'm 3 hours ahead of pacific time, so I've been up for hours and just keep reminding myself to not freak out and start checking the portal or expecting a phone call until at least 2 pm my time. I'm guessing I won't hear anything until tomorrow anyways since I interviewed the 2nd day.

Good luck to everyone. Every person I met on interview day rocked and i would love for any one of them to become my doctor in the future (I'm saying that before I see your board scores lol, so sentiments may change).
I've been telling myself not to freak out. Can't say that I didn't check the portal once or twice while at work all last night! :D

checked the portal 2 times already. So hard to concentrate on work, fingers crossed we hear something good today.
Good luck everyone!

Hey guys, this will be my first MMI so I had a quick question about it. After reading the prompts do we introduce ourselves in each room or just get on with the answer? How do we do this?

And to those of you interviewed, did you guys have 4 MMIs?

Hey guys, this will be my first MMI so I had a quick question about it. After reading the prompts do we introduce ourselves in each room or just get on with the answer? How do we do this?

And to those of you interviewed, did you guys have 4 MMIs?
I introduced myself in every room and after a handshake, i proceeded to interpreting how I understood the question, and then went on with the answer.
Everyone is very and very nice and welcoming there, I was extremely nervous at first, but it went really smooth and the faculty was very encouraging.

I introduced myself in every room and after a handshake, i proceeded to interpreting how I understood the question, and then went on with the answer.
Everyone is very and very nice and welcoming there, I was extremely nervous at first, but it went really smooth and the faculty was very encouraging.
Thank you! Also how many minutes did you have for each question? Did you feel it was enough? I am getting kinda nervous thinking about it lol.

Thank you! Also how many minutes did you have for each question? Did you feel it was enough? I am getting kinda nervous thinking about it lol.
You have 2 mins to read a question and formulate what you want to say. Does not seem like much, but trust me that's plenty. And then you have 8 mins to speak, which seems like a lot lol, but it's very conversational, so the time will run by.
Good luck, you will do great, just be yourself and don't be nervous!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have 2 mins to read a question and formulate what you want to say. Does not seem like much, but trust me that's plenty. And then you have 8 mins to speak, which seems like a lot lol, but it's very conversational, so the time will run by.
Good luck, you will do great, just be yourself and don't be nervous!
Thank you so much! :)

Just got the phone call. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! Just got the phone call.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
accepted:banana: loved this school, staff and faculty are wonderful, and it is a 2 hours drive from home. How can you beat that?
I will see you guys in August!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Do your guys' portals reflect your acceptances? My portal has nothing new on it and I haven't received any phone call.

Do your guys' portals reflect your acceptances? My portal has nothing new on it and I haven't received any phone call.

Hopefully they're taking a break. I haven't been called either...

I'm hoping they're out to lunch. Haha

Good point haha. If I remember correctly, my other acceptance I didn't hear until a couple hours after the others did

Accepted! :claps:

My portal now says "offer" and they called me around noon.

YIPPEE!!!

Accepted!!!!! :highfive::soexcited::banana:

I was sleeping when I got the call around noon!!!! So stoked, definitely will be seeing you all in August!!

Accepted! For those who are curious about my stats and timeline:
cGPA 3.58, sGPA 3.65, MCAT 31 (11,9,11)
Secondary Completed August 18th, Interview Invite September 9th, Interviewed October 3rd.
I'm from California, but have lived in rural environments my whole life and work at a big rural hospital.

I will now be declining interviews for Touro CA, WesternU, and AT Still SOMA. So best of luck to whoever applies there as well!
Message me if anyone has questions!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Interviewed 10/3 3.8/3.6 28 mcat.

My portal is now updated as waitlisted. Interviewed on 10/2, PNWU is my top choice for many reasons.

I enjoyed the interview, meeting the staff/faculty, and my fellow interviewees. I'm happy for all who got the acceptance phone call, you earned it, best wishes! I'm hopeful to receive an offer off of the waitlist and to see you all next fall! Also, good luck to everyone else!

Waitlisted. Super bummed.
You still have a good chance! They say they reevaluate their waitlist each and every interview date along with those that interviewed. So I'd say you have decent odds!

First post! Accepted as well - I was super super tense all day waiting for the phone call

You still have a good chance! They say they reevaluate their waitlist each and every interview date along with those that interviewed. So I'd say you have decent odds!
Yeah I was going to call them and see if there is anything I can do to help my odds. Thanks for being upbeat though!

Last year they did not rank until May, so unless they changed the strategy this year, I wouldn't expect to hear before then

Last year they did not rank until May, so unless they changed the strategy this year, I wouldn't expect to hear before then

They mentioned this at the initial information session before the MMI started. I remember hearing them say the strategy changed this year, I think Twifi's post is accurate. There is a good chance we can hear back sooner with this new strategy.

Yes, they did say that they will review the waitlist after each interview date.

Accepted! I've been expecting a different call all day and was pretty happy when I received this one lol

Wahoo! I got a phone call from the school today but they didn't leave a message and when I called back they didn't answer but I just got home from work and looked on my student portal and it says "offer"!!! Super pumped since I was waitlisted last year! Has anyone started a facebook page yet for accepted students?!

Anyone still in the committee?? My portal says I've been in committee since 9/4. Wonder if they just forgot. Should I be expecting a rejection at this point?? Do rejections come by email or mail?

Also, congrats to all who've been accepted! All that hard work pays off

Anyone still in the committee?? My portal says I've been in committee since 9/4. Wonder if they just forgot. Should I be expecting a rejection at this point?? Do rejections come by email or mail?

Also, congrats to all who've been accepted! All that hard work pays off

I'm still on committee - since 9/15/15

I wouldn't be too concerned about being stuck on committee for a month or more at this point. I would expect they are dealing with the largest volume of applications right now and with interviews starting I imagine the committee is somewhat out of commission for a week around every interview date and as far as I know they don't work weekends or holidays. So every little thing adds up and makes the wait feel like an eternity.
Stay positive!

Also, I saw this questioned asked earlier in the feed, but did not see a response... If you are accepted after interview, is there a timeline in which you have to accept the invitation to matriculate?

Does anybody have travel recommendations for OOS interviewees?
I flew in from Cali to SeaTac then got a rental car and drove in to Yakima. I highly recommend getting a rental car, let's you explore the city and see the countryside. I stayed at the Hilton gardens, it wasn't too bad.

Also, I saw this questioned asked earlier in the feed, but did not see a response... If you are accepted after interview, is there a timeline in which you have to accept the invitation to matriculate?
Yes, and I believe the grace period they give you to respond gets shorter and shorter as the cycle continues. I think right now the deadline is December 14th or something. Too lazy to double check haha

So if this school is lower on my list, would it be advantageous for me to schedule the interview later in the cycle (ie January vs. November)?

i don't see any advantage in scheduling your interview later even if it's lower on your list. The earlier you interview, the higher your chances are of getting accepted. I interviewed here in January of last year and got waitlisted then this year I interviewed the first interview date last week and got accepted.

Waitlisted folk - keep your spirits up!! PNWU classically has huge movement on their accepted lists as students have other schools as their first choice. Just because someone is accepted - doesnt necessarily mean they will go there. Trust me - there will be quite a few waitlisters getting offers - and then there's the factor of the waitlisters given offers being accepted elsewhere already. etc etc.

Keep pushing forward - you will be doctors. gl

December 14th is the deadline that they need your response by and probably the check to keep your placement. Not sure what you are asking for when you mean travel recommendations, like hotel wise or places to visit there or what? If the school is on the lower end of priority then I think you need to really ask yourself the reason you applied here or if you would even go if you got in. I mean it just just sounds like your mindset isn't really about matriculating here, imo. I could be wrong. Sorry if this comes out sounding really blunt. As for your question about advantages of interviewing early versus late. Most schools starting filling up their seats with each passing interview. By the time they are interviewing in January they are finalizing their roster to start school in August. I know when I interviewed at PNWU cycle in January they had already filled up 90 of the 140 spots available. When I interviewed at COMP-NW in February of last year they had probably less than 15 spots left. This is of course dependent with every year and the quality of applicants they receive every year. If they have received many qualified candidates and interviewed them early then they will fill up all the available spots left. At which point you would be interviewing for a waitlist position which isn't bad but at the same time being on the waitlist is being in limbo. So it's really up to you on what you are comfortable with doing.

From what I heard they received a substantial increase in applicants this year than the previous year as well so it takes quite a bit longer to go through the second screening.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten their acceptance letter in the mail yet?