Pacific (PUCO) vs. ICO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaeiger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I never thought in a million years I'd have the luxury of choosing between schools, but here I am. For the past few years, Pacific has been my top choice simply because I was wowed by their presentations that they gave at my university, and also because I'm from the Pacific Northwest and it's the only school around. I hadn't really heard of ICO until relatively late into my application process, and I decided why not, let's add them to the list. I ended up interviewing there at ICO and I was really floored by what I saw - the facilities, the program, it all seemed amazing. The entire week between my ICO and PUCO interviews, I thought for sure I was going to end up going to ICO. Until I went to my PUCO interview, and was again wowed.

I've gone back and forth over the various merits a million times:
-costs are about the same for me
-ICO has a wider alumni network but Pacific has a more concentrated/local alumni network where I'm going to practice after grad
-both have extensive 4th year externship sites
-both seem set up really well to help you excel; ICO via their note-taking and tutoring services, PUCO via the most truly open-door policy and community spirit I've seen anywhere (that lunch on interview day really cemented that to me)
-both seem to have student lifestyles compatible to me - PNW appeal on one hand, big-city life on the other. I'd be pretty happy with either.
-the facilities at ICO are top-notch and amazing, but I'm not particularly one for flashy and new, and I like that PUCO has a variety of types of equipment so you can get to play around with all of it (so they balance out in this regard to me)

What it seems to come down to, for me, is this: I get the impression that Pacific might have an edge in their didactic portions, especially when it comes to providing a broader background on optometry as a whole. I also jibe better with their approach of theory-heavy earlier on and applications after the foundations have been laid down. However, the variety of pathology and heavy clinical emphasis at ICO really, really impressed me, and I worry that if I go for Pacific, I'll be handicapping myself by not going with what'll give me more experience with a variety of pathologies.

I guess my ultimate question is, a. do I have my facts straight in my presumptions above, and b. assuming I do, which factors will ultimately end up making me a better doctor in the end?

For what it's worth, I asked about variety of pathology at Pacific during my interview, to which my interviewer responded that he'd noted that the past few waves of 4th years have noted that they saw quite a wide range of pathology when doing their externships in the downtown Oregon location than elsewhere in the country. So there's that.

I also asked my boss (optometrist) what she thought, and she felt that I should go for the better didactic school, since the bulk of my clinical work will be in 4th year anyways, which is independent of the school location. But she's a Pacific grad so she might be biased, hah.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my opinion I would go to ICO. PUCO seems like an amazing school as well but i'll give you my reasons. First, if you're planning on practicing in Oregon after you graduate, moving away is going to be an experience for you. Go somewhere you haven't been before and see how it is! It's a chance you likely won't get again and I would definitely take that. Step out of your comfort zone! You will make friends anywhere and I'm sure there are ICO alumni from the Oregon area as well. Second, as much as the teaching and learning is going to help you learn the material, the real learning comes from clinical experience and from what you've written it seems like ICO has more of that and earlier. So instead of doing everything in clinic at once they do it in smaller steps and add on. Third I don't know how PUCO is set up but I like that ICO has everything so close and convenient (RC across the street, clinic attached to the school) and I feel like living in the RC the first year would be the best way to make some of your closest friends for the next four years. I may also be a little biased because I've just been to an ICO presentation at my school and they wowed me too :D whereas I haven't done very much research into PUCO since i'm not applying there!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the response! You make at of really good points, I think that's what I'm ultimately debating on is the clinical stuff. For what it's worth, I'm actually from Vancouver, Canada, so I'll be going back there to practice. Same ish area but not quite. With Pacific, everyone does have to find rent but from our interview day it didn't seem at all like it impeded with meeting people, making friends. We met maybe a dozen or so students and they all seemed really tight, all had plans to do together, etc.

Argh, this is a tough decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! You make at of really good points, I think that's what I'm ultimately debating on is the clinical stuff. For what it's worth, I'm actually from Vancouver, Canada, so I'll be going back there to practice. Same ish area but not quite. With Pacific, everyone does have to find rent but from our interview day it didn't seem at all like it impeded with meeting people, making friends. We met maybe a dozen or so students and they all seemed really tight, all had plans to do together, etc.
Argh, this is a tough decision!
I'm Canadian too! I'm from Edmonton though so no matter where I go i'm going to be pretty far from home! I like the idea of being in clinic earlier even if its just observing. I feel like I would be a lot more comfortable when I'm in there myself if i've had more exposure. Also if dorms are something you don't like, most people move out of the RC after their first year and into rentals. I just think that in terms of the first year that it would be easier to meet and know everyone in your class outside of a class setting in the dorms but that might just be me! Good luck with your decision and if you choose ICO maybe i'll see you there!!

It the words of Roxette "Listen to Your Heart" :p

But seriously the best piece of advice I was given when choosing between schools was to choose the school that I felt I fit in best, so that I will be able to thrive in that learning environment. (after factoring cost, curriculum, board passage rare, etc first)

Congratulations though! I don't think you can go wrong with either option.

It the words of Roxette "Listen to Your Heart" :p

But seriously the best piece of advice I was given when choosing between schools was to choose the school that I felt I fit in best, so that I will be able to thrive in that learning environment. (after factoring cost, curriculum, board passage rare, etc first)

Congratulations though! I don't think you can go wrong with either option.
Fair enough! And there was a bit of a difference there - I definitely felt like I was already halfway integrated into the student body by the end of the day at Pacific!

I'm Canadian too! I'm from Edmonton though so no matter where I go i'm going to be pretty far from home! I like the idea of being in clinic earlier even if its just observing. I feel like I would be a lot more comfortable when I'm in there myself if i've had more exposure. Also if dorms are something you don't like, most people move out of the RC after their first year and into rentals. I just think that in terms of the first year that it would be easier to meet and know everyone in your class outside of a class setting in the dorms but that might just be me! Good luck with your decision and if you choose ICO maybe i'll see you there!!
That's true for sure. I just had a chance to speak with the other doctors in my clinic today and I think I'm starting to lean towards Pacific now. All the best, though, and thanks for your help! Good luck to you too :)

I'm a student at Pacific, feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.