Pacific University (Oregon) *Class of 2012*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memento mori

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure I'd start a thread for those attending Pacific in the Fall. Lets get to know each other a little. Where is everybody from? I'm from San Diego.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats!!! im very glad to hear u got in and that i could help! im from chicago. ive got another interview coming up but chances are good ill end up going to pacific, i liked it there!

Hopefully we will be classmates in the fall! I am trying to figure out where I am going to live. Anyone have any idea yet? Also, we need to all have a get together and have some fun before our 3 hardcore years of pharmacy school begins!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi..i'll be attending this fall too! :love: i'm from san diego as well. memento mori, did u do your undergrad at ucsd?

Cool! I actually went to SDSU, that's funny, anyone else from Cali?

Hi guys! I'll also be attending Pacific in the fall, just sent in my deposit yesterday. I'm also trying to figure out my living situation and if I need a car or not...btw I'm from norcal

Hello everyone! I'm from Nevada and will be attending Pacific in August as well...sooo excited! Going to be heading up to Hillsboro in Mid-March to go house-hunting...seems there's several options in Beaverton that look promising, and I think Lonnie mentioned something in an e-mail that when we log on to Blackboard there will be info. on this. :)

Hey everyone,
I'll be seeing you all at Pacific Univ. this fall. I'm also from California. I currently live in LA, but I'm originally from the bay area. And although I plan on taking the Max to/from class everyday, I think I'm going to drive my car up to Oregon so I can get around more easily.

I'm so excited!

-Feuy (Fay)

I have been doing some research and I think I am going to try and find a place at the Nexus Apartments. It is very close to public transportation and it's a really nice place. If any other guys need a roommate PM me.

I have been doing some research and I think I am going to try and find a place at the Nexus Apartments. It is very close to public transportation and it's a really nice place. If any other guys need a roommate PM me.
I was also thinking about the Orenco station area but I'm gonna wait till Lonnie sends out a Housing list so i can see what my options are =)

hey future classmates! i just sent in my deposit too...does anyone know when we should be getting that email from lonnie about more info for housing? and orangeandblue...were you at the feb 7 interview??

Hey there Whirls, Chev, memento, and uclasushi!
Thanks for the post memento, I'll be attending this fall as well, look forward to seeing you all there.

'72 Chev: Lonnie said "...sometime in March," was her best guess for the info packets, blackboard accounts, etc. I'm just as anxious as everyone else to get as much information as early as possible! :)

Orenco is nice, but pricey; my first priority is a location close to campus. I'll have my car but, I'd prefer to walk or ride a bike if possible. I don't need fancy digs to be happy. I'm also keen on finding a good roommate and hope blackboard serves me well in that regard.

You can find out what I'm up to or send me a message via Twitter (@solzont) if you like :)

Pacific University
Class of 2012
Jan 17 Interview

Last edited:
hey future classmates! i just sent in my deposit too...does anyone know when we should be getting that email from lonnie about more info for housing? and orangeandblue...were you at the feb 7 interview??

nope i was at the jan 17 interview. i also hope we get the email from lonnie asap, but i have a feeling we'll get in late march

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, just thought I'd post the following link about housing:

http://www.pacificu.edu/hpc/housing.cfm

You can open a PDF file that has a list of about 50 apartment complexes around the HPC...it's a couple of years old, so I'm not sure about the accuracy of the prices, but it does have other good things to know, like how far they are from campus, MAX, etc. plus BR, W/D, info. etc.

I'm a female looking for another female roommate for a 2BR/2BA. I have a 2-year old 12-lb. mini. dachshund that I'll be taking with me to school in August. From what I've seen on Apartmentguide.com and ForRent.com, The Verandas at Hazel Grove look pretty nice, as well as Nexus and Thorncroft Farms; if anyone is looking for a female roommate just shoot me a message!

nope i was at the jan 17 interview. i also hope we get the email from lonnie asap, but i have a feeling we'll get in late march

Congratulations Everyone! I am from Georgia and I was at the Jan 17 interview. I am looking at apartments, as well to find male roommate. If anyone is interested let me know.

Pacific University
Jan 17 Interview

FYI Everyone, I just got the information packet from Lonnie via email. I expect everyone should be receiving it soon. Take care! :)

I have access for pacific email and blackboard but there is no activity on blackboard. Is this the same for everyone??

FYI Everyone, I just got the information packet from Lonnie via email. I expect everyone should be receiving it soon. Take care! :)

I have access for pacific email and blackboard but there is no activity on blackboard. Is this the same for everyone??

Yep, I noticed that as well...nothing on Blackboard and no e-mail.

Hey all - Just wanted to throw out that if you all have specific questions - don't hesitate to post up or ask - There are several of us P1s and P2s on the board...

Having a car is definitely a good idea - I drove mine from Florida here :D

~above~

Hey all - Just wanted to throw out that if you all have specific questions - don't hesitate to post up or ask - There are several of us P1s and P2s on the board...

Having a car is definitely a good idea - I drove mine from Florida here :D

~above~

Thank you for making yourself available for questions! The following are some of the questions I've either heard from others or have myself.

Do you feel it's necessary or advisable to purchase the other texts beyond Depiro?

If you had 3 months to prepare for your P1 year, knowing what you know today, what would you advise a "least prepared" student to brush up on?

How often is use of your laptop required? In what capacity is it necessary?

Have you noticed most people studying solo or in groups?

Is there a predominant location where students choose to live locally? Do you or your classmates have any recommendations or things to keep in mind when choosing a place to live?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Do you feel it's necessary or advisable to purchase the other texts beyond Depiro?

If you had 3 months to prepare for your P1 year, knowing what you know today, what would you advise a "least prepared" student to brush up on?

How often is use of your laptop required? In what capacity is it necessary?

Have you noticed most people studying solo or in groups? Is there a predominant location where students choose to live locally?

Thanks for your time.

Textbook purchases are iffy right now. A lot of what we do is on a computer. Through our pharmacy databases (one of which is accesspharmacy), we have full digital copies of many texts - including Dipiro.

Textbooks that I think would be good to have - Med chem and the pocket Dipiro (great as a handy resource). I use the online Dipiro maybe three or four times a week - unless we have an assignment, then I use it a LOT more.

Other than that - maybe BOH's pharmacy manual... which is actually written by Dean Stein and is pretty good to have. Its only $40, and has a lot of information you may not even know you need to know.

I would spend sometime going over inorganic and organic chem. Specifically - Functional groups and arrow pushing - acid/base + pK/pH. Our school differs from traditional programs, that have one or two major courses of med chem. We have med chem in almost every block during the first year. One of your first blocks will be an organic review - and it has (thus far) been the most difficult block to pass for the majority of students. Having a strong foundational knowledge will make the review much more manageable.

Aside from chem - Top 200 = KNOW THEM. Not just brand and generic, but indication, class, dosing, side effect profile. I would also go over basic calculations that are common to be found in any IV compounding pharmacy.

Knowing some of this would put you in a WELL prepared position.

~above~

Great! Much obliged, I'll dream up some more questions for later :)

Do you know if the class calendar for the 2009-2010 school year is up yet? I know its early, but my family is planning our Christmas/New Years vacation and would like to know the exact dates of Winter Break. Thanks!

Has anyone applied for a Grad Plus loan yet? Pacific uses a web site called FASTChoice and I was wondering which lender everyone used. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Has anyone applied for a Grad Plus loan yet? Pacific uses a web site called FASTChoice and I was wondering which lender everyone used. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Good question. I'm not sure if the aid sources are rolled up by the school administration and presented as a package or if we're on our own.

It's comforting to know that our banks and other private lenders can borrow from the federal government at <1% interest, or get stimulus help for nearly free, while any tax-paying student needing to use unsubsidized professional or graduate school loans gets to tow the line at 6.8-8.5% (depending on the source). Sure, a new PharmD with work can tow that line, it's the principle that bothers me.

I'm cautiously pessimistic that an overwhelmed Obama administration or self-serving congress will do anything to seriously address this issue in time for my classmates and I to benefit from it.

Last edited:
Hi i had a question reguarding financial aid. Are we eligable for federal financial aid through Pacific U for next year or do we have to wait to find out if their fully accreditated? Getting federal aid, subsidized and unsubsidized, is a huge factor in deciding where I'm going. My other option is MCPHS-worcester, fully accreditated, but I would rather go to Pacific. Thanks

Hi i had a question reguarding financial aid. Are we eligable for federal financial aid through Pacific U for next year or do we have to wait to find out if their fully accreditated? Getting federal aid, subsidized and unsubsidized, is a huge factor in deciding where I'm going. My other option is MCPHS-worcester, fully accreditated, but I would rather go to Pacific. Thanks

First, I am not a financial aid expert and I encourage you to contact the Pacific University administration for one-stop answers. Here's what I do know:

Pacific will be fully accredited this year once their first class graduates.
http://www.pacificu.edu/pharmd/documents/AccreditationStatement.pdf

You will be eligible for federal financial aid for next year. In fact, one or more P1 students that I'm acquainted with are current federal aid recipients. I couldn't find a nice blurb from the DOE or other administrative bodies to clarify this point, but my reasoning is sound.

I bet the buck stops at this guy :)

Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
1952/2006/S2011
Scope of recognition: the accreditation and preaccreditation of professional degree programs in pharmacy leading to the degree of Doctor of Pharmacy.
Title IV Note: Accreditation by this agency does not enable the entities it accredits to establish eligibility to participate in Title IV programs.

Peter H. Vlasses, Executive Director
20 North Clark Street, Suite 2500
Chicago, Illinois 60602-5109
Tel. (312) 664-3575, Fax (312) 664-46522
E-mail address: [email protected]
Web address: www.acpe-accredit.org

Has anyone recieved the admission package from pacific yet? Is there any activity in blackboard or email?

Do you know if the class calendar for the 2009-2010 school year is up yet? I know its early, but my family is planning our Christmas/New Years vacation and would like to know the exact dates of Winter Break. Thanks!

Just checked Blackboard and my e-mail and nothing yet, garx. I believe in the e-mail Lonnie sent us about our Blackboard/e-mail sign-on it said something about Pacific posting more admissions info. in early April...so hopefully only a couple of more days! :)

Hello there classmates, I just got my acceptance letter today!

My name is Huy and I just moved to Forest Grove, Oregon (near the main campus of Pacific University) in August from Southern California

I will for sure be attending Pacific University and hope to see all you guys there!

I got my financial aid letter today, I expect the other c/o 2012 students should be getting theirs soon as well. Take care.

I have to admit, I'm a bit envious of schools like USC whose whole incoming Pharm class seemed to be dialed into this network; it would be so great to meet and greet my future classmates ahead of school. I was thinking maybe a few of us could get together this summer for an informal lunch or whatever.

Best to all!

Last edited:
for the current pacific students,

i was just wondering where the sites are for the summer rotations? im from cali and do not want to stay in oregon for that! but ive heard that it is a little hard to get a site in cali and that the lady handling the rotations for p1 students is a little hard to work with. does anyone know where everyone is going already for that and if they had trouble getting a rotation back in their home state or town (if theyre out of hillsboro)?

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd say that I just logged onto Blackboard and there's an Orientation letter from Dean Stein for us to read and that some Discussion topics have been posted...looking forward to meeting you all August 19th! :)

I have to admit, I'm a bit envious of schools like USC whose whole incoming Pharm class seemed to be dialed into this network; it would be so great to meet and greet my future classmates ahead of school.

All right my classmates, I made a facebook group for the class of 2012!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93224335411

Its awfully lonely in there right now...

Thanks for creating the group, hqd003...it'll be great to have an additional forum (that hopefully more of the Class of 2012 use!) for all of us to get to know each other in. :)

Thanks for creating the group, hqd003...it'll be great to have an additional forum (that hopefully more of the Class of 2012 use!) for all of us to get to know each other in. :)

Oh most definitely! I figure more people are on facebook than on sdn so it will be a good way to meet classmates before school starts!

I don't have a facebook page, but I may have to start one just to get to know the c/o 2012 better.

Anyhow, I checked out the laptop recommedations and the school recommends a PC laptop because it is "a more universally supported program" but I had my heart set on getting the new MacBook. For the current students, would I be in a disadvantaged position if I got an Apple laptop rather than a PC laptop? What kinds of laptops do you have?

You will be fine with the new MacBook. I know a couple of students at pacific that use a mac for school and they said it is just fine. No compatability problems whatsoever. Besides, the MacBooks can run windows should we ever have to use it

I have one of the new alu MacBooks myself and it doesn't disappoint. I highly recommend getting it and apples warranty cannot be beat. Once you go mac you never go back!

Thanks! A MacBook it is then. :thumbup:

does anyone know when the first day of class is? i was looking it up on the school website but it hasn't been updated for a while...

The first day of class is August 24th.

does anyone know when the first day of class is? i was looking it up on the school website but it hasn't been updated for a while...

Don't forget orientation the week before, that information is posted on blackboard in a letter. ;-)

Right! Orientation is from Wednesday, August 19 to Saturday, August 22.

Don't forget orientation the week before, that information is posted on blackboard in a letter. ;-)