Pacific University Oregon Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does it go by last name? wats ur last name start with?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, Lonnie called me yesterday to give me the GREAT news.

Congrats to those who got accepted!!

As for me and others interviewing on November 14th, we are excited!!

I'm coming from Socal, where should I buy a plane ticket to?? And how is the MAX transportation? And for those who interviewed on Oct. 17th, can you give us feedback as to how it went and what to expect??

Thank you very much!!

Hi Iceman,

The admissions office at Pacific is fantastic -- they do a great job of making interviewees feel as comfortable as possible. The interview day is long, but they give you lots of good information about the program, the area, etc. At the end of the presentations + lunch, you'll be placed in one of three groups, and each group will rotate through interviews, a team-based activity (a lot of fun), and a student panel+tour. The whole thing was really well organized.

As for the interview itself, it was relaxed and conversational. They really just want to get to know you and understand your motivation for pursuing a career in pharmacy. I didn't think my interview went that well, because I was so nervous, but i think the AdCom looks at the whole package -- your app, your interview, your essay, and your team activity. So if your interview doesn't go that great, don't lose hope!

Your plane ticket should be to Portland International (PDX). I didn't actually use the MAX system (I rented a car), but I've heard great things about it, and there's a stop right in front of the school. The car trip from PDX to Hillsboro took me about 25 minutes, but I landed late at night when there was no traffic. I stayed at the Larkspur Landing -- about 8 minutes from the school. Very nice executive style hotel, but kinda pricey ($90/night).

Good luck!

Thank you Antiviral for your detailed and response.

Larkspur Landing looks like a great area, I think I might stay there. Is there a MAX train that goes from the hotel to the campus?? Also sucks I can't rent a car, I just turned 22 few weeks ago arghhhh. How is the area itself?? Did you like that part of Oregon?? And what do you think about the campus itself??

As for the airport, I saw there is a Hilsboro Airport, but thats probably for smaller planes and private planes, not for us to use huh??

IceMan,

Did you defer your interview date or did they already give all the invites for the Nov interview date?

What did you do in the team activity? Why do they have you do a team activity? I think this may expose some of my flaws because I like to direct/ control groups i'm in... Do they watch you while you're doing the activity?

Thank you Antiviral for your detailed and response.

Larkspur Landing looks like a great area, I think I might stay there. Is there a MAX train that goes from the hotel to the campus?? Also sucks I can't rent a car, I just turned 22 few weeks ago arghhhh. How is the area itself?? Did you like that part of Oregon?? And what do you think about the campus itself??

As for the airport, I saw there is a Hilsboro Airport, but thats probably for smaller planes and private planes, not for us to use huh??

Unfortunately, the MAX does not stop by the Larkspur Landing. So you'd need to take a cab from there to the campus.

Hillsboro is kinda dicey. The downtown area is nice, they're clearly trying to revitalize it, but Hillsboro has a lot of strip malls, parts of it are run down, etc. So it's not the best area. That being said, there are some nicer nearby communities (like Forest Grove, Beaverton). A lot of students live along the MAX line in these communities away from Hillsboro.

The "campus" is cool. It's just one building, but it's a big one, and all the various professional schools (dental hygiene, p.a., optometry, etc) are all under one roof. It seems pretty high-tech and very eco-friendly. They're also constructing a second building next to the first one.

Hillsboro airport is a general aviation airport, so there are no commercial flights. You'd need to use Portland International.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
What did you do in the team activity? Why do they have you do a team activity? I think this may expose some of my flaws because I like to direct/ control groups i'm in... Do they watch you while you're doing the activity?

I won't give it away, but it's a fun activity. Nothing too stressful. There is a student moderator who is watching, I'm not sure how that person evaluates you but the activity is considered part of the whole interview process. Most groups had 5-6 people.

They do it because Pacific uses team-based learning in its curriculum -- you're put in groups of 7 from your very first day at the school, and you stay with that group throughout the year. If team-based learning doesn't sound like it'd work for you, you might consider applying somewhere else. But I think most pharmacy schools utilize at least some type of team-based learning.

Last edited:
I stayed at the Townplace Suites by Marriott. They provided free shuttle service from the hotel to the campus and on the way back as well. They will also drive you to nearby places like a mall. In addition, they can drive you to a max stop.

I was wondering if the interview for tier 2 is here yet? I applied early but still hadn't heard anything. I feel like they rejected me way in the beginning. Anyway, please share if u guys got one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if the interview for tier 2 is here yet? I applied early but still hadn't heard anything. I feel like they rejected me way in the beginning. Anyway, please share if u guys got one.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Pacific in Oregon has different Tier. It's either priority or regular admission. And I think the 2nd round of interview has been sent out for November 14.

Fujitsux, are you referring to University of the Pacific which is located in California? They have the Tier system there. If so, there's another thread for that school. But to answer your question, from what I read, yes, the interview for Tier 2 is out. Here is the link to UOP (CA)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8782616#post8782616

Good luck!

In regards to the second interview date based on this forum, I don't think the invitations for the November interview are sent out yet. The slots, however, might be somewhat full due to earlier Oct. invites postponing their interviews to Nov. Just stay positive! Hopefully, November slots are still available and an invite will make its way to the mailbox this coming week.:)

Plesae make sure to check your email. Pacific sends their invitation via email only.

Anyway PM if you have any question, I'm officially in the class of 2013.

Plesae make sure to check your email. Pacific sends their invitation via email only.

Anyway PM if you have any question, I'm officially in the class of 2013.

Hey PharmLuck,

When did you hear from Lonnie? Did she call?

congrats to those that are accepted!! :highfive:

TEVA-

YES, Lonnie called me personally to give me the news. Don't loose hope yet, there are many great candidates there and I believe she will be sending the official decision this week. Make sure your spam blocker is off, just in case!

Stay positive!!! you'll be fine.

TEVA-

YES, Lonnie called me personally to give me the news. Don't loose hope yet, there are many great candidates there and I believe she will be sending the official decision this week. Make sure your spam blocker is off, just in case!

Stay positive!!! you'll be fine.

Hey PharmLuck,

Thank you for the encouragement. I am just a bit worried. But I guess there's not much I can do but to wait till I hear the news.:xf: Did Lonnie call you on Thursday or Friday?

Anyhow, congratulations on your acceptance. :)

TEVA- she called me thursday at around 2pm. I was in class, so I talked to her at 3pm. Please don't worry, think positive... My friend hasn't heard anything yet either.

I have a feeling that the deliberation of the committee is not yet complete, maybe I just happen to be in the first file and that's why I got called first.

I just want you and others who are feeling anxious to stay positive. We're going to be working as a team anyway right?? So, I'm rooting (not sure of the spelling) for you and for others :thumbup:.

Do let us know of any update okay?

Pharm luck do you mind sharing your stats and such?

Hi -

Just wondering if anyone that was accepted is a re-applicant?

Thanks.

Hey Yappy my GPA is 3.65. I don't think re-applicants are black listed!

Congradulation to all

Last edited:
How many students were there at the interviews total? From what I've read, it looks like the actual interview are one-on-one, then you disperse into groups...is this correct?

Ladies, what did you wear? Full-suit? Thanks!!!

I am placed on committee hold. I feel like that is equal to a rejection. :bang:

Has anyone received an acceptance after being on committee hold? That is not the same as being wait listed right? Anyone been in this same situation? :cry:

im thinking so....its ok bro im on the same boat as u are. i guess if no1 puts the 1000 deposit in 2 weeks theyll send out more aceptances.....im so over it

I also got put on hold. sigh. more waiting awaits!

I want to advice you all who are put on the committe hold. It does not mean that you are rejected, but they want to interview more people before they make decision on your files. There is plenty of time, so do not lose hope yet.

I also got put on hold. sigh. more waiting awaits!

I stayed at the Townplace Suites by Marriott. They provided free shuttle service from the hotel to the campus and on the way back as well. They will also drive you to nearby places like a mall. In addition, they can drive you to a max stop.

Holy smokies, awesome!! This def is what I'm going to do for my interview on November 14th then!!

So what time did you have to get ready for the shuttle to depart to the campus?? And how did u get from Portland Airport to the hotel?? By taxi or what??

Thank you!!

holy smokes, i got an interview for the 14th!!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!

I also received an interview invite for November 14, so I well see you there.

I have an interview for the 14th, too! I hope to meet some of you cool sdners there!

Woohoo! i just got an interview invite for Nov 14th! YAY! See everyone there!

I'm coming California!!! :)

I received an invite too. See everyone on the 14th. Can't wait!!!

omygad, I got an interview invite tooo... I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. :eek: lol.. what to do what to do... I have to get a skirt to go with my jacket. lol I heard that skirts are more formal than pants, right? Any advice on the weather?? :)

I rescheduled my oct interview to nov 14th and I can't believe it's here already...Time flies by too fast...But from the sounds of it there are alot of ppl from this board that will be there too...so see you all soon,eventhough we won't know who one another are....so I guess I won't see you soon

Can someone please help me with what is the best way to get to the school from a hotel? I've heard of the MAX, but am afraid that it might take really long or that I might get lost... Is there a decent hotel that's closer to the campus than those listed on the website (which I think are about 20-30 minutes away, from what I found from google map, right?), that maybe I can take the MAX or taxi to? Is MAX ok, or is taxi better? Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.

Just checked my pharmCAS email addy -- I'm going to the Nov. interview tooo! :)

Anyone else coming from So. Cal?

Can someone please help me with what is the best way to get to the school from a hotel? I've heard of the MAX, but am afraid that it might take really long or that I might get lost... Is there a decent hotel that's closer to the campus than those listed on the website (which I think are about 20-30 minutes away, from what I found from google map, right?), that maybe I can take the MAX or taxi to? Is MAX ok, or is taxi better? Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.

I flew in Portland airport, rented a car, drove to hillsboro (30-40 min), stayed at Econolodge which is only 1 mile from the school.

I was hesitant to take the MAX too because I didn't want to get lost, so I spent a little more money renting a car. I think that worked out well for me. Hope this help. Good luck.

Does anyone know when the next interview date will be after the Nov. one?

I'm staying at the econolodge, which I guess is a two block walk from the school. Its pretty cheap too, but I'm mainly staying there because I can walk to the school within 5-10 min the morning before rather than depending on transportation which may or may not come through for me. So, your more than welcome to stay at the econolodge and we can walk there together in the morning.

yesterday i received notification that they received my pharmcas app. yaaay finally! ive completed the supplementary app, so im hoping to find out soon about my entire app being complete & ready for committee review. anyone who applied after the priority deadline receive an interview yet? when should i expect to hear back?

I'm coming from So Cal. I'm flying there and renting a car. I want to make sure I get there to look around campus so I get a good feel for it on the interview day. :)

Hey I just got an invite to the Nov. 14th interview and I am flying in from Cinci and I am only 20 so I cant get a rental car, are there any hotels within walking distance or public transport to the school I could use? Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks!

I'm staying at the econolodge, which I guess is a two block walk from the school. Its pretty cheap too, but I'm mainly staying there because I can walk to the school within 5-10 min the morning before rather than depending on transportation which may or may not come through for me. So, your more than welcome to stay at the econolodge and we can walk there together in the morning.

I think I'm staying there also. I've got the Nov. 14th interview invite. Woo!

That sounds good I should have read that before thanks jeriboar I'll probably see you guys there then

Hey I just got an invite to the Nov. 14th interview and I am flying in from Cinci and I am only 20 so I cant get a rental car, are there any hotels within walking distance or public transport to the school I could use? Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks!

If you check your email invite from Lonnie, there should be a link about travel arrangements and hotel accommodations. Some transportation options that you could choose are MAX (Portland's Light Rail), shuttles, and taxis. Has anyone tried MAX?