Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Pacific University Oregon Class of 2013

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by biochemrx, 08.14.09.

1. Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist Army SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I was placed on the waitlist in March - that is when it used to be generated. In past years, it has been released earlier. I was #1 on the wait list in March, and was accepted outright in June. I was contacted by phone...

The waitlist use to involve numbering - I am unsure whether or not it will continue to be so.

Committee hold is where any applicant, after being interviewed, is placed if not accepted or rejected. Once all of the interviews are completed, there were another meeting of the admissions committee where each applicant will be reviewed and ranked (as compared to other applicants on committee hold). This meeting generates a wait/alt list. Not all applicants that were on committee hold will be placed on the waitlist. Those that are not placed on the list will receive rejection letters. How many will not be on the list? I haven't the slightest idea.
  2. dizza

dizza

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    got an email on the 29th and booked my tickets and hotel and rent a car today...

LGD --> PDX and staying at larksomething that someone recommended earlier on the thread... i think thrifty.com has the cheapest rent-a-car

anyone else coming out of LAX or LGD?
  3. KMIMSM

KMIMSM

Pre-Pharmacy
    thrifty is not on airport terminal. you have to take a shuttle out.
    What happened to me was I forgot which rental place I made a reservation with and went to the nearest counter and asked them if i'm in the system. they said no but then offered to match the price of the place that i made a reservation with, which was 20 dollars. tell them that. can't go wrong. theyre always trying to get yoru business.
  4. hiyasmin1217

hiyasmin1217

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'll be going to the Feb. 13th interview date, too. I'm flying over from SFO. See you there!

To those still booking their trip from out of state: I actually got a cheaper price for the roundtrip flight + stay at SpringHill Suites on Expedia. There might be some good deals out there.

Good luck to everyone interviewing!:)
  5. YARDEN

YARDEN

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    interview on the 27th, anyone?

and did anyone notice how a few comments on the interview feedback page mention something about how candidates are already selected for admission prior to the interview? sounds a bit strange to me, just thought i'd put it out there if anyone knew.

good luck, all =)
  6. SweetFrench

SweetFrench

Pre-Pharmacy
    Did anyone get an interview offer after being placed on interview wait list pool?
  7. Chromatography

Chromatography

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just got the email that I was placed on the interview waitlist, hopefully I'll get an interview
  8. sunshine1984

sunshine1984

Pre-Pharmacy
  9. EastTroutdale

EastTroutdale

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    There is a wait list to get an interview? I wonder when people on committee hold find out their status.....possibly after the next rounds of interviews after they compare them?
  10. KMIMSM

KMIMSM

Pre-Pharmacy
    next interview date isn't goingn to be until feb 27. then about 2 weeks after that you'll know your results.
  11. iluvsmile

iluvsmile

Pre-Pharmacy
    last week I received a rejection letter after being on the committee hold since Nov. They said I need to improve my interviewing skill and writing skill..
  12. lake23

lake23

SDN 2+ Year Member
    The school website states that the next two interviews will be this month (2/13 & 2/27)
  13. kern07

kern07

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    i still haven't heard anything from the school, i hope that's a good thing? i was placed on the hold list after the november interview......hm.
  14. IndyPrePharm

IndyPrePharm IndyPrePharm

Pharmacy Student
    I also have an interview 2/27. YARDEN, what website did you see it posted that interviewed candidates are already selected for admission? I did think that it was a bit strange for them to disclose in the interview invitation email that candidates will be fitted for a white coat AT the interview.
  15. kern07

kern07

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    i think they fit students for the white coat ceremony at the interview out of convenience. some schools ask the accepted students for the coat size after the admissions process.
  16. YARDEN

YARDEN

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    hey indyprepharm,

if you search under general comments on the interview feedback page for PU, someone mentioned on 2/21/2007 (granted that was about 3 years ago) that "I was only in the interview for 5 minutes before I was told we needed to speed things along because they were running behind! Like it was my fault. They already decided who would be admitted before the day, so it was pretty much a waste of my time and money!" .. still raising an eyebrow at that statement..

And yes, I thought the same thing when I read the email about fitting us for white coats.. although it makes sense that it would be convenient for them to do so, i don't see why we can't be fitted for them later once the class has been finalized.. i can go on about that email, but i think i'll stop here. =) pm me if you want to chat about it!
  17. Espada

Espada

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Different schools do different things. For Pacific University, I think it is a great thing that they fitted you into white coats during your interview. That saves them time in ordering them and also it helps to calm you down during the interview process. I enjoyed my entire experience during my interview.

Who is to say that that method is right or wrong?

And about the comment that students are already accepted before the interview is BS! I know someone with stellar GPA and EC's and they got waitlisted.

Don't believe everything people say until you find the real facts and sources to backup that argument.

Someone that might have gotten rejected in the past may have wrote that to bash Pacific University.

Please keep a positive attitude during the interview process.
  18. OldPharm

OldPharm Accepted!

Pharmacy Student
    I completely agree with you. So far I've been to three interviews and pacific Oregon interview was the most relaxing and pampered interview. Always take the comments in SDN with a grain of salt.
  19. FarmDee09

FarmDee09

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The coat fitting is more for you than it is for Pacific. I interviewed last year and we did not get fitted, instead we chose our sizes online before the orientation. Many of us did not fit our coats as we did not know the relative sizes and so at the ceremony, some of us had coats that are way too big and wayy too long.

We were unable to exchange them and had to personally pay and alter if we wanted it to fit. Consider yourselves lucky.
  20. Espada

Espada

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Unfortunately, I would have wished that you could have had the same experience that I did.

One good thing about Pacific is their ability to change things to make the process more efficient.
  21. Allie9

Allie9

Pre-Pharmacy
    I got an interview invitation but I'm scared about the writing thing... what might they ask us to write about?
  22. OldPharm

OldPharm Accepted!

Pharmacy Student
    Don't be nervous. It's a very simple 15 minute writing. Topic is very general and it's something even an elementary student can answer.
  23. Espada

Espada

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Pacific's writing portion of the interview wassss sooo easy and relaxed. Been to several other school writing portions and by far it was the easiest prompt ever.

Don't even stress about it! Be yourself....and if possible link your answer to to pharmacy in some way.
  24. tangov559

tangov559 Pacific University 2013

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    how are the interview questions? pretty basic? and if get to interview early.do we just leave? or do we have to wait for the rest of the party...got mines on the 13th..can't wait.
  25. pharmdec

pharmdec

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Were you on interview waitlist?
  26. Allie9

Allie9

Pre-Pharmacy
    k
    Last edited: 02.10.10
  27. Allie9

Allie9

Pre-Pharmacy
    well I got an email saying that my interview date is on the 13th.... they didn't mention anything about waitlist....Is that good or bad???
  28. mvpharm

mvpharm

Pre-Pharmacy
    Interview questions are very straightforward. Honestly, interviewing is not as difficult as it sounds. If the pharmacy passion is there and if you know yourself well, you should do great! Like Espada said, just be yourself - that's probably the best advice.

During the interview day, everyone will be split into one of three groups (each group will rotate between interview, group activity, and tour) If you get a tour last, then I suppose you can leave early, but I would stick around just to see the place :).

To Allie9: If you have an interview, that is a very, very good thing! I'm not certain, but I don't think you can be waitlisted prior to interview? Anyway, don't worry about that for now, you have an interview coming up! Concentrate on the interview - prepare well, be honest, and be confident!

Good luck to all those interviewing! I interviewed here in November so if anyone needs more advice to prepare for this big day, feel free to PM me.
  29. Allie9

Allie9

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you so much for your advise. I'm reading the SDN page alot to prepare myself for the interview. But I don't know what kind of questions they ask and I'm really nervous about the writing sample they'll give us..... don't know how to calm down.....
  30. tangov559

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    my interview date is on the 13th...any other advice?
    Last edited: 02.10.10
  31. OldPharm

OldPharm Accepted!

Pharmacy Student
    Did you check out the "Interview Feedback" section? Look at the top menu if you haven't.
  32. EastTroutdale

EastTroutdale

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, I recommend checking the interview feedback as well. I didn't post the questions I was asked, but they are all your straight-forward questions:

Why Pharmacy?
    Why Pacific?
    2 strengths, 1 weakness
    What role do you take in groups?

Stuff like that. I also got asked, "What was the last non-science book you read?" Gosh. I really F'd that one up. I'm not a big reader. ALL the members of the Pacific staff participate in volunteer work in their free time. So if you have good considerate volunteer stuff, try to flaunt that. The whole interview only lasted about 15-20 minutes, and was very conversational. I don't wanna say, "don't get your hopes up," but don't expect to be accepted right off the bat. It seems like most people were put on committee hold, so expect to be waiting a little while. Just show up, do your best, and try to have a good time and stay relaxed. The students there are really helpful, and willing to answer anything.
  33. SweetFrench

SweetFrench

Pre-Pharmacy
    I think this question was asked because some people like me have been placed on interview waitlist. So we are wondering if those placed on the interview waitlist finally got an interview offer. Anyone?
  34. vmsnic

vmsnic

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was put on the interview waitlist on 2/5 and asked to come for an interview by 2/10 for this Saturday the 13th.
  35. SweetFrench

SweetFrench

Pre-Pharmacy
    Lucky you! I got the same email on 2/5 and I am still waiting for an interview offer...
  36. jgoodwin84

jgoodwin84 Pacific University 2013

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm wondering if there have been any rejections yet (following interviews)? It seems as though students were either accepted or put on hold. Do they wait and do all the rejections after the last interview? I guess that would make sense. Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanx
  37. EastTroutdale

EastTroutdale

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I know that some people received rejections without even receiving an invite to interview. But I actually also read that someone farther up on this page received their rejection letter after being on committee hold since November. And they said that the person needed to work on their interview and writing skills. So it sounds like some have been sent out, although it doesn't sound like many. It seems in my opinion like the pool of applicants on committee hold is pretty big, and that not very many rejections were made after the interview as you mentioned. So I agree with the "accept or hold" decision of those who interviewed.
  38. tangov559

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    so is there only one interview session during the interview? or do we have like to different sessions?
  39. ChE012

ChE012

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hi, I'm chemical engineering student at OSU, have 4 more chemical engineering pro-school classes left to graduate. I've been looking into pham.D program at Pacific Univ. and I would only have to take general biology and anatomy and physiology to complete the pre-requisite to apply for pharmacy. I would probably take these courses at OSU or PSU during the summer. However, here are my questions to make my decision whether I would like to give it a try to apply to pharmacy or not.

1) My current science gpa WITHOUT biology and anatomy and physiology is about 3.4. My curriculum gpa is pretty low of 2.7 since my pro-school engineering classes brought it down. I understand that min. gpa required at Pacific is 2.7. Still, even If I maintain and graduate with that gpa, would you say it's safe?

2) I have many of friends who have graduated from OSU pharm and that are currently attending as one (including my roommates). Few of my friends are also attending pharmacy at Pacific Univ. Since pacific pharm is fairly new program, I've heard many stories around it. Stories such as pacific students are not treated as same as OSU students (they also attend OHSU in their 3rd year) in pharmacy industry. And that many would choose OSU pharm students over pacific students. I'm not planning on applying to OSU pharmacy since my gpa is pretty low and I know that OSU pharmacy considers gpa the most. My only shot would be at pacific. Still, would it be worth to try at pacific? Would pacific students treated as same as OSU/OHSU graduates? Would they get paid the same or chance to get a job?
  40. EastTroutdale

EastTroutdale

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think it would be a waste of your time and money. Stick to chemical engineering. They have good job opportunities.
  41. jgoodwin84

jgoodwin84 Pacific University 2013

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My advice would be to make sure you WANT to go into the field of pharmacy b/c you love it and are passionate about it. Don't just do it just b/c you're not sure what you want to do. As far as the GPA goes, it may be a problem that your cumulative is low, but I've also heard of a few people getting in with a low GPA. You should really talk to admissions about this. I think with a lower GPA you would need more Pharmacy expereince, volunteer experience, or something that would make the committee overlook your GPA.
  42. tangov559

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    the interview went well..now comes the wait
  43. EastTroutdale

EastTroutdale

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good to hear! Mine went well too back in January. Waiting is the worst. My app is on hold right now. Let us know your status as soon as you hear. It would be much appreciated.
  44. OldPharm

OldPharm Accepted!

Pharmacy Student
    Wait won't be too long. I heard back from Lonnie 3 or 4 days after the interview. Good luck!
  45. Fr0gg3r

Fr0gg3r

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    3-4 days?! does that include weekends? ahhh so anxious.
  46. Eddie1218

Eddie1218

Pharmacy Student
    I had two friends who were put on committee hold since Nov. and they were rejected last week for not having enough volunteer work hours (though they had a good amount).
    I interviewed a few days ago, on Feb. 13th and I think the interview went well, but again, so does everybody else :p

I was wondering about something: is it a good idea to send a Thank You email/letter to the interviewers? In other words, does it positively affect their decisions or is it a waste of time?
  47. Eddie1218

Eddie1218

Pharmacy Student
    By the way, I don't know if you guys know this but at the interview they informed us that there will be another interview date on Feb. 27th since they had a much larger application pool this year (1400 pharmcas, 950 supplemental VS. about 600 last year). So keep your hopes up :) :thumbup:
  48. kpharma

kpharma

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey, all that are still preparing for an interview with pacific, I am posting the interview questions feedback students gave in a condensed 3 page word document. I tried to take out as much repetitive questions as I could. I am preparing for the interview on the 27th and wanted to share my study guide, good luck everyone! :) :thumbup:

Attached Files:

49. vmsnic

vmsnic

Pre-Pharmacy
    Anyone from the Feb 13th interview heard anything yet? Emails/phone calls?
  50. Fr0gg3r

Fr0gg3r

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    nothing yet... ahhh getting so anxious ><

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal