Pacific University Oregon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if the tuition is the same for all 3 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you; I think I sent mine around Nov 1st, just trying to get an idea of where mine is in the stack of applications..! No PCAT required for Oregon, not sure if they will still look at it if you send it though.

I submitted my supplemental application on 28th of November and got an interview offer yesterday. I hope it helps :)

Thank you; I think I sent mine around Nov 1st, just trying to get an idea of where mine is in the stack of applications..! No PCAT required for Oregon, not sure if they will still look at it if you send it though.

They will NOT look at your PCAT even if you submit it. It was brought up at an open house I attended. Kieran said since it wasn't required it was unfair to use it for any sort of consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take to get an interview offer after the PharmCAS and supplemental apps were received?

Thanks for the info! But when you say,

there's constant tension between students and the program and that the vast majority of instructors just don't care.

is the tension because of the block schedule? I always thought that a block schedule would make learning easier, but is it doing the opposite?

Changes within the program . . . we came back this year and suddenly had a Pass/No Pass system implemented. Thankfully, with feedback, that was undone for this semester. We'll be getting our actual grades again, which is great. .

The Pass/No Pass is new? I went to an orientation in 2011 and they told me they were Pass/No Pass then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's new -- we found out on our first day of orientation in August, and I don't recall any rumors about them switching it while in school last year. Apparently, it made things too competitive and people had their feelings hurt when they realized others scored higher, so they changed it to P/NP for the Fall/Winter 2012 semester. FWIW, we generally do hear rumors -- we had heard that they were thinking about taking away the mandatory attendance requirement and that both P1s and P2s would be testing at the same time, both of which happened.

Thankfully they re-evaluated that decision, and starting this Winter/Spring 2013 semester we get our actual percentages back. It's not as helpful as knowing which questions we got wrong like P1 year, but it at least lets us know if we failed with a 59 or an 89.

Ahhh I'm a bit worried now if you're not liking the program...

Yes, it's new -- we found out on our first day of orientation in August, and I don't recall any rumors about them switching it while in school last year. Apparently, it made things too competitive and people had their feelings hurt when they realized others scored higher, so they changed it to P/NP for the Fall/Winter 2012 semester. FWIW, we generally do hear rumors -- we had heard that they were thinking about taking away the mandatory attendance requirement and that both P1s and P2s would be testing at the same time, both of which happened.

Thankfully they re-evaluated that decision, and starting this Winter/Spring 2013 semester we get our actual percentages back. It's not as helpful as knowing which questions we got wrong like P1 year, but it at least lets us know if we failed with a 59 or an 89.

This is still unclear to me- before this year you still did not pass if you got less than an 89? I thought that was Pass/No Pass. Or are you saying the change they made was that you didn't see your scores on your individual exams?

I'm sorry. I'm stressed out and annoyed with the particular block right now so I'm letting my current frustrations with the program be known in a way that I hope is helpful to others. I don't want people to think it's a bad program, because I don't know that it is. I'm just personally not very happy with the overall attitude shift and the way things have been going lately. If you're going to attend, you should know all of the pros and cons because it's a serious, expensive commitment and the program design on its own is definitely not for everyone. I don't want people to feel blindsided because they were only given the warm cuddly side presented at interviews and the like.

Sorry, I see why it's confusing now. Yes, the bolded is correct.

Thanks for the input! That's true the interview day was showing a very optimistic crowd, I'm just a bit worried about the academics now... So what happened after those two professors left? Was the school able to accommodate the students? did you continue learning that block and etc.... Are most teachers unhappy there? Would you say youre getting a good education?!?! sorry for all the questions!

If you compare the worse pharmacy program to the best one (both are accredited) in this country, I am pretty sure that they share the following things: both of them are always filled up, their NAPLEX pass rate would be around the national average (that's why they got accredited), and you can always find someone who really hate their program as well as someone who are madly in love with their program. So it does not matter what pharmacy program you will attend, there are always pros & cons, and it's up to you to have more pros than cons or vice versa.

Yes, there are a lot of rumors at Pacific. Rumors about who fail the exams, who get extended learning, who fail extended learning, why professor A resign, why professor B do this, why professor C do that...blah blah blah. In the end they are still rumors. It's you choice to invest your time to investigate them or just focus on your studying.

Not all student at Pacific hate the Pass/No Pass. Usually, the ones who always pass the exams do not care which system they use. They told me that after group exam, you should have a very clear idea about which question you got wrong, and if you don't, then just review whatever questions that you are not sure about.

It's true that some professors may do "strange" things to make your life harder. You can either confront them and make a big drama or just learn to deal with it in a positive way. Remember that you are the one who need to graduate, not them...

Just my 3 cent info ;)

If you compare the worse pharmacy program to the best one (both are accredited) in this country, I am pretty sure that they share the following things: both of them are always filled up, their NAPLEX pass rate would be around the national average (that's why they got accredited), and you can always find someone who really hate their program as well as someone who are madly in love with their program. So it does not matter what pharmacy program you will attend, there are always pros & cons, and it's up to you to have more pros than cons or vice versa.

Yes, there are a lot of rumors at Pacific. Rumors about who fail the exams, who get extended learning, who fail extended learning, why professor A resign, why professor B do this, why professor C do that...blah blah blah. In the end they are still rumors. It's you choice to invest your time to investigate them or just focus on your studying.

Not all student at Pacific hate the Pass/No Pass. Usually, the ones who always pass the exams do not care which system they use. They told me that after group exam, you should have a very clear idea about which question you got wrong, and if you don't, then just review whatever questions that you are not sure about.

It's true that some professors may do "strange" things to make your life harder. You can either confront them and make a big drama or just learn to deal with it in a positive way. Remember that you are the one who need to graduate, not them...

Just my 3 cent info ;)

Thanks so much, it is very true!! I agree most professional/grad schools are difficult and not all people get along!

Also, I do completely agree with this (even though people really don't care who comes back for Monday re-exam or fails extended learning -- the novelty of that wears off after the first or second P1 exam). I'm not a person to investigate, but it's concerning when I find out an extremely dedicated instructor left with two days notice in the middle of a block, rumored to be because of the administration. It seems like something is going wrong when I hear that almost ten P1s will be coming back next year because they failed fall extended learning. You can't really miss rumors in a program as small as this. It's the odd ones about things that have never happened before that are starting to pile up that give me pause.

Last edited:
I agree that in P2 year, most exam questions are based on case studies and thus it is much more harder to pick the most appropriate answer. However, there are always some people in your class who interpret the question in the right way and pick the right answer (and have solid explanation). If you are not sure about any question, just post it on your class Facebook page and normally within 24-48 hours, you will have a better idea why you got it right or wrong. Besides, in reality, each patient case is unique, not all treatment will follow the guidelines and not all guidelines are up to date. If you just mess up a few questions on your exam, I don't think it will impact the quality of your practice later.

Score is just a reflection of how well you did on your exam. If you receive a No Pass (NP) and you know that you got about 7 question wrongs then your score is probably in the 85. If you also receive a NP and you need more than all of your fingers and toes to count the number of questions you got wrong, then your score is probably in the 60. By the way, beginning this term, both P1 & P2 will get their scores back, so I don't think this is a problem anymore.

"Worse, though, and what the administration seems to keep ignoring, is that we still can't see what questions we got wrong" I think a lot of students know why the school do this, they just don't wanna admit it I guess. First, if you talk to any professors, they will all tell you that it's very hard and time consuming to write a good exam. Thus, there is a high chance that the exam this year will be somehow similar to the exam last year or the re-exam on Monday will be almost the same as the exam on Friday. Yes, students do take advantage of this: some will come to the Friday exam just to know what questions are on the exam (and thus they can just focus on those questions for the Monday re-exam) or some students will try to remember the questions and record them (and pass them on to the next class ??!!) These behaviors are not new to college students. They happen everywhere from community colleges to universities or professional schools. Obviously, the faculty at Pacific are not stupid and they do know that those stuffs do happen in their program. In my opinion, their decision not to reveal the right answer serves at least 2 purposes: first, to discourage those students who just want to study for the exams; second, to make the students work for the right answer. They know that if you talk to your classmates and use your resources (lecture notes, google, facebook...), you will eventually find the right answer. Someday, when you independently practice pharmacy, who's gonna tell you which one is the right answer? If you don't practice those "answer finding skill" now, then when ??? Besides, I also hear that Pacific is trying to conduct more oral re-exam on Monday (so that the instructors can explain to you right there why it is a wrong/right choice??). Those solutions maybe not be perfect and satisfy everyone, but at least they are still constructive.

"I hear that almost ten P1s will be coming back next year because they failed fall extended learning" really ?? I heard only 6 P1 failed extended learning :)) Well, there is always a first time for everything I guess ;)

I agree that in P2 year, most exam questions are based on case studies and thus it is much more harder to pick the most appropriate answer. However, there are always some people in your class who interpret the question in the right way and pick the right answer (and have solid explanation). If you are not sure about any question, just post it on your class Facebook page and normally within 24-48 hours, you will have a better idea why you got it right or wrong. Besides, in reality, each patient case is unique, not all treatment will follow the guidelines and not all guidelines are up to date. If you just mess up a few questions on your exam, I don't think it will impact the quality of your practice later.

Score is just a reflection of how well you did on your exam. If you receive a No Pass (NP) and you know that you got about 7 question wrongs then your score is probably in the 85. If you also receive a NP and you need more than all of your fingers and toes to count the number of questions you got wrong, then your score is probably in the 60. By the way, beginning this term, both P1 & P2 will get their scores back, so I don't think this is a problem anymore.

"Worse, though, and what the administration seems to keep ignoring, is that we still can't see what questions we got wrong" I think a lot of students know why the school do this, they just don't wanna admit it I guess. First, if you talk to any professors, they will all tell you that it's very hard and time consuming to write a good exam. Thus, there is a high chance that the exam this year will be somehow similar to the exam last year or the re-exam on Monday will be almost the same as the exam on Friday. Yes, students do take advantage of this: some will come to the Friday exam just to know what questions are on the exam (and thus they can just focus on those questions for the Monday re-exam) or some students will try to remember the questions and record them (and pass them on to the next class ??!!) These behaviors are not new to college students. They happen everywhere from community colleges to universities or professional schools. Obviously, the faculty at Pacific are not stupid and they do know that those stuffs do happen in their program. In my opinion, their decision not to reveal the right answer serves at least 2 purposes: first, to discourage those students who just want to study for the exams; second, to make the students work for the right answer. They know that if you talk to your classmates and use your resources (lecture notes, google, facebook...), you will eventually find the right answer. Someday, when you independently practice pharmacy, who's gonna tell you which one is the right answer? If you don't practice those "answer finding skill" now, then when ??? Besides, I also hear that Pacific is trying to conduct more oral re-exam on Monday (so that the instructors can explain to you right there why it is a wrong/right choice??). Those solutions maybe not be perfect and satisfy everyone, but at least they are still constructive.

"I hear that almost ten P1s will be coming back next year because they failed fall extended learning" really ?? I heard only 6 P1 failed extended learning :)) Well, there is always a first time for everything I guess ;)

"I hear that almost ten P1s will be coming back next year because they failed fall extended learning" really ?? I heard only 6 P1 failed extended learning ) Well, there is always a first time for everything I guess

They will or will not be coming back? Im confused, as for the professor that jst left out of the blue, could it be he was frustrated with students who were no excelling in the program? What about the administration would make someone leave without notice?

According to the Rumors, most of those P1 will come back (I heard that one will not come back because that student failed all 3 extended learning ??). Well, but you never know, they are all rumors hehe

About the professor & the school administration,..well...you should direct your question to the Vice Dean who is in charge of Faculty Development...

Hi Pharm3r, could you send me a PM? I am curious about some things pertaining to this school, and in regards to what you have stated.

:) I hope to see everyone at the interview on the 12!

:) I hope to see everyone at the interview on the 12!

Good luck! Report back so we know how it goes. I'm sure you'll do fine - as stressful as it seems at the time, the interview days are actually pretty fun.

To those talking about the flaws of this school can you please elaborate? Is it really that bad or is it manageable?

Do they limit how many time you can retake the blocks?

If you fail the block during the break then you have to wait until the following year to retake the whole thing. I was a little unclear if that meant you would have to do the whole year over again, but I think so since you couldn't attend your new classes while attending your previous year's classes. But I can't say for certain.

The first & second year students told me the classes were getting stripped down, biochem especially, you didn't have to memorize the 20 amino acids, and they really only focused on things we would need to know. So, I wouldn't worry about having to pass a traditional biochem class in a 2 week period of time.

The interview seemed to be more about deciding if Pacific was a good "fit" then anything else. My interviewer ( a professor at Pacific) said he wouldn't have been a good fit for the school back when he was getting his PharmD, so it's not for everyone.

Last edited:
To those talking about the flaws of this school can you please elaborate? Is it really that bad or is it manageable?

I, also, want to emphasize that after the interview day, and asking a couple of current students truthfully (and getting to know them better), it seems they did stress their dissatisfaction with some parts of the program. The grading/inability to see test scores seems to be a weird policy. Since it is a newer program, constant change is to be expected. Some might be good but it seems the changes are not favorable with the current students. Also, it is true that a lot of P1's must retake the courses during the 2nd year (a few P1's told me they have no choice due to this type of program). Like others said, it may work for some, and it may not work at all for others. :eek:

I, also, want to emphasize that after the interview day, and asking a couple of current students truthfully (and getting to know them better), it seems they did stress their dissatisfaction with some parts of the program. The grading/inability to see test scores seems to be a weird policy. Since it is a newer program, constant change is to be expected. Some might be good but it seems the changes are not favorable with the current students. Also, it is true that a lot of P1's must retake the courses during the 2nd year (a few P1's told me they have no choice due to this type of program). Like others said, it may work for some, and it may not work at all for others. :eek:

How many students did you talk to and "getting to know them better" on the interview day ? Was it 5 or 50? Please keep in mind that there are currently about 200 P1&P2 and thus what you've been told by 5 or 10 current students might NOT be an accurate reflection of the whole program.

"The grading/inability to see test scores seems to be a weird policy" The students DID receive their test scores back for their exam on Friday Jan 11. Guess what? Some students started complaining again because now they felt bitter when they know they missed the mark by 0.5 or 1 point (yes, 89.5 is failed)!!!

"Also, it is true that a lot of P1's must retake the courses during the 2nd year (a few P1's told me they have no choice due to this type of program)" How many is "a lot"? From all the Rumors, that number is about 4 to 10 P1. Again, remember that there are about 100 students in your class. So, if I were one of those failing P1, I'd better ask myself "What's wrong with me?" rather than "What's wrong with the program?" There are many students who are frustrated with the programs but they still pass. It means that a student must have messed up really really bad to fail extended learning.

I was in the Jan 12th interview day. One of my interviewers was Jennifer Jordan and the other one was a pharmacist who said he had 22 years experience in hospital setting and he was a fat guy. Now I want to send thank you letter, but I dont remember his name. Is there any body here that knows his name?

I was in the Jan 12th interview day. One of my interviewers was Jennifer Jordan and the other one was a pharmacist who said he had 22 years experience in hospital setting and he was a fat guy. Now I want to send thank you letter, but I dont remember his name. Is there any body here that knows his name?

Email Kieran. She will send you a list of interview rooms with all the interviewers.

I just received my invitation for Feb 16th.. Problem is I passed O Chem and Bio with A's but I cant seem to remember anything now lol ..

I just received my invitation for Feb 16th.. Problem is I passed O Chem and Bio with A's but I cant seem to remember anything now lol ..

Lol don't worry too much about that, you can always go over your bio and chem material. Besides we go over physiology in every block :)

Has anyone heard back from interview 1/13 ? I interviewed on that day but have not heard anything back , maybe a denial in the mail ?

Has anyone heard back from interview 1/13 ? I interviewed on that day but have not heard anything back , maybe a denial in the mail ?

Haven't heard anything back either (I'm from 1/12). They did say give them 2 weeks.

I was getting worry because based on last year interview, we should have heard back the Friday just past,
I am glad I wasn't the only one who haven't heard back !!

I was in interview day jan 12th!I have not heard back too!

Good morning everyone. I had some questoins I have an interview on February 16th. I wanted to know did anyone rent a car or did you guys book a hotel near the MAX line and take that into the interview?

I am coming in from Miami and am looking at a pretty penny for this interview trip alone. :eek:

Good morning everyone. I had some questoins I have an interview on February 16th. I wanted to know did anyone rent a car or did you guys book a hotel near the MAX line and take that into the interview?

I am coming in from Miami and am looking at a pretty penny for this interview trip alone. :eek:

I rented a car, and stayed at the econolodge which was about a block or 2 away from the school. Didn't end up costing me too much, but renting a car gave me more freedom. The MAX is definitely much cheaper, but commuting to the school from PDX takes about 1.5-2 hours.

My interview was on 1/12 also and I haven't received any respond from the school yet. If anyone got any acceptance rejection committee hold pls let us know?!! Thanks

I rented a car, and stayed at the econolodge which was about a block or 2 away from the school. Didn't end up costing me too much, but renting a car gave me more freedom. The MAX is definitely much cheaper, but commuting to the school from PDX takes about 1.5-2 hours.

Thank you for the quick response. I am booked a hotel in Portland and noticed that the Max lines run throughout the city and even near Beaverton.

Does anyone have a relative working over at NIKE??? I wouldl like to do tour of the Campus.

Just got a call from Kieran saying I was accepted to Pacific! Totally thought I bombed the interview! :D

Thank you for the quick response. I am booked a hotel in Portland and noticed that the Max lines run throughout the city and even near Beaverton.

Does anyone have a relative working over at NIKE??? I wouldl like to do tour of the Campus.

MAX blue line drops you pretty much right outside the front door of Pacific so you'll be good. : )

Congrats to those who got accepted!

I got an email and they put me on committee hold...do you think that I have chance to get accepted?

I was on the 1/12 interview and I am on committee hold.