Pacific University PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessrosered

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the Pacific University PsyD program in Oregon? Is anyone thinking of applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 5th-year advanced standing student there, currently working on dissertation and applying for internship. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?

I am a 5th-year advanced standing student there, currently working on dissertation and applying for internship. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?

Actually,yes. My first question is about the internship match rates. They are a bit lower than the average match rates- why do you yhink that is? Is an apa/appic internship just not necessary, or do people try to match but are unable to do so?
Also, would you say that there is a particular theoretical orientation to the program? It is difficult to tell from the info. on the website.
I am also curious about the attrition rates. Obviously you stuck with the program, but something like 6-7% of people dropped out each year over the last couple years, can you speak to that at all? Are the classes just so large that some people end up there who really don't want to be there?
Thanks so much for this- I really appreciate your answers to these questions and any other information you think that I should know at this point!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can answer all of your questions for you. The match rate is low, because Pacific admits way too many students into the program, and most students want to try and match to places in Oregon and Washington. Restricting geographical location for internship is the biggest problem students have. I myself have to do the same thing, because my family is here and I am unwilling to move out of state for my internship.

The orienation of the program is very much CBT, although it's starting to shift to a more psychodynamic approach. There are a few of us who are focusing on Gestalt, ACT, etc., but as a whole it's very CBT-oriented.

When I first started, my class had 23 students entering. This year's class had almost 50! That is WAY too much, and the students are quite unhappy about it, as it definitely lowers the match rate.

Any more questions I can answer for you?

When I first started, my class had 23 students entering. This year's class had almost 50! That is WAY too much, and the students are quite unhappy about it, as it definitely lowers the match rate.

Any more questions I can answer for you?

Wow. 50 is a lot of people. Do you think the quality of the program has suffered from the rapid growth and (relatively) large number of students?

How happy with the program have you been? Obviously you stuck with it so it worked out for you alright, but given the current state of the program (especially the number of students and rapid growth), would you still have chosen to attend the program if it was then like it is now? Is that similar to the experience of other students?

I am rooted in this area for a while due to personal circumstances and I have long held attending a doctoral program as a career goal, but I don't want to waste my time an money on a program of declining quality.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

I, too, am a doctoral student at Pacific. I think that shrinkjamie has some interesting ideas, but I have a few things to add... The low match numbers have nothing to do with the large classes because the students who are in the larger cohorts (like me) have not begun the match process yet. I suggest that you research the program and visit. Part of the reason for the larger class sizes is an incredible new campus that opened late last year. The campus that shrinkjamie would have attended is in a highrise in Portland proper. The new campus is located at the Tuality Health Center (a stop on the Max lightrail), and houses graduate students in psychology, optometry, occupational therapy, physical therapy, pharmacy, and a few more that I have forgotten. The new facility is much larger than the previous space. I have had classes at both campuses, and I much prefer the new one. It is beautiful, environmentally friendly, and easily accessible.

I would not say that the drop rate is due to poor students. There are many students who are looking for better funding and change programs for this reason. There are some students who leave for personal reasons, and a (very) few who leave due to motivation. The program is difficult and can be wearing as it is five years long, full-time and year-round. I attended a very competitive undergraduate program, and Pacific is certainly challenging me--I am sure it is more challenging for those who attended easy undergraduate programs. Are there frustrated students? Absolutely. Do I think that this is true in most schools, particularly during times of change and growth. Yes.

Finally, one of the major draws to this school is the track system; You receive your doctorate in clinical psychology, but you can choose to focus your studies by joining a track in areas such as forensics, neuropsychology, child psychology, Industrial/Consulting, assessment, health, Gestalt, etc. In my research, I found this to be a rather unique academic structure. Being accepted into a track has provided me with opportunities that I might not have otherwise been exposed to. As far as the program orientation--while large programs have many difficulties, please remember that a large number of faculty provides an opportunity for many different orientations to be represtented and studied.

Take some time to visit. Email faculty and keep talking with students. It is a great program going through growing pains. The Dean is quite well known in the field (he edits 8 journals) and I have found the students to be competetive and supportive. However, I should warn you--if you are looking for a program to cruise through, look elsewhere. This program takes a lot of time and effort. It is not a cut-rate program, and the standards have been getting higher for the past couple of years. What shrinkjamie experienced is likely not the same program that you would experience.

Good luck!

I interviewed at Pacific and was able to speak to several current graduate students. One concern that I have, as the students mentioned, is that students receive less than a desirable amount of attention from faculty. Not that I want my hand to be held, but having faculty that ensures you are on track is certainly important to me. If any current students are reading this, how do you feel about the support you receive.

Also, I will be taking substantial loans out if I attend Pacific. The financial aid presenter at the interview suggested that I would need to take up to 40k in loans a year. Do you feel that this number is accurate and also how long and how successfully have students been able to repay their loans after graduating?

Thanks.

I am also considering Pacific. There were a lot of things I really liked about the program, but my concerns are similar to those mentioned before. When/How will I repay all of these loans, and will I really need the amout of aid they are asserting? Will I be able to create a meaningful mentorship with a faculty member? What chance do I stand of getting an assistantship in coming years (I was not offered one this year)?
Most importantly, is it worth it? All the money and the debt and 5 years...? I think it might be, but I'd like to hear from current/past students if you have any opinions.
Feel free to PM.

Any of the people who interviewed at or went to Pacific, I'd love to hear what you feel are the good and bad aspects of the program via PM (other than what I've read in this thread)...

Hey I know this is an old post but I figure I would try. I just got accepted into Pacific University on the Health Psychology track. I really loved the school and all it has to offer but the major drawback is the low APA match rate. I am perfectly fine with going out of Seattle/ Portland (given that I am from Hawaii). For those of you still or recently graduated I would love to hear your experience with the program. PM me :D

Hey I know this is an old post but I figure I would try. I just got accepted into Pacific University on the Health Psychology track. I really loved the school and all it has to offer but the major drawback is the low APA match rate. I am perfectly fine with going out of Seattle/ Portland (given that I am from Hawaii). For those of you still or recently graduated I would love to hear your experience with the program. PM me :D

I would like some info from current/past Pacific students as well if anyone wouldn't mind posting

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, this thing keeps getting resurrected. Appic match rates for accredited internships have hovered around 50% the past several years. That would greatly concern me.

Information that helps me decide not to apply to a program is still very valuable.

Reactions: 1 user
Information that helps me decide not to apply to a program is still very valuable.

As it should be. I would also crunch the tuition numbers. From what I remember, it was quite high for that program, with tuition alone running you well into 6 figure debt, even before accounting for living expenses.

Ouch. I'm still looking for funding info but I'm having a hard time finding much. Looks like funding is very limited.

The program has changed A LOT in the past couple of years. I would encourage you to look into other options. I sent you a PM.

The program has changed A LOT in the past couple of years. I would encourage you to look into other options. I sent you a PM.
I'd like that same PM too since I've just accepted admission there.

Ouch. I'm still looking for funding info but I'm having a hard time finding much. Looks like funding is very limited.
After my experience, look at my thread. These expensive programs just aren't worth it.

I saw that yesterday and it sounds like a total nightmare. Sorry you had to go through that. So is it safe to say that the more expensive schools are similar in quality?

I saw that yesterday and it sounds like a total nightmare. Sorry you had to go through that. So is it safe to say that the more expensive schools are similar in quality?

I think that might be an extreme generalization, but high price tag is associated with "professional school", which is associated with significant variance in quality and quality control, yes.

Last edited:
I've surmised that about professional schools from info on this site but I didn't know if there was a general rule for higher cost schools. The school dashiz reviewed yesterday is ~$30,000/year and several of the schools I'm looking into aren't far from that.

Higher cost isn't the total story for judging a "quality" program. However, cost is a consideration in regard to feasibility of attaining an education and being able to pay back the loans. There are a plethora of other red flags for a place like Sayerbrook (e.g. online, not acred., quality of faculty, etc).

Ok good and I figured as much. I have been taking into strong consideration the tuition cost and possible funding. Thanks for the input

Higher cost isn't the total story for judging a "quality" program. However, cost is a consideration in regard to feasibility of attaining an education and being able to pay back the loans. There are a plethora of other red flags for a place like Sayerbrook (e.g. online, not acred., quality of faculty, etc).

I would say that the cheaper ones do seem to have a lot better quality though (Baylor, Rutgers, etc.)

The program is "okay" at best, and while most people are nice, there are some sick faculties there. Their clinic near school is a joke. There aren't many clients and no one cares if you get direct hours or not. Their good supervisors are located in their downtown clinic, that is particularly true about the child team. Run away from the child team in Hillsboro. Also they keep hiring their own graduates, which is weird. Most school want new knowledge, but they seem to look for comfort and control over their instructors. There's also discrimination based on race and religion. If you're not super white, thin, and non-religious, you better look elsewhere. I know of someone who is actually going to write a book about her experience with discrimination at the Pacific.

The program is "okay" at best, and while most people are nice, there are some sick faculties there. Their clinic near school is a joke. There aren't many clients and no one cares if you get direct hours or not. Their good supervisors are located in their downtown clinic, that is particularly true about the child team. Run away from the child team in Hillsboro. Also they keep hiring their own graduates, which is weird. Most school want new knowledge, but they seem to look for comfort and control over their instructors. There's also discrimination based on race and religion. If you're not super white, thin, and non-religious, you better look elsewhere. I know of someone who is actually going to write a book about her experience with discrimination at the Pacific.

Wow. That sounds like another Midwestern story.

Have you noticed, the better a PsyD program is, the cheaper it is...