Pacific University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RuralOT, did you find out you were accepted via a phone call as well? How are those of you accepted finding out? Thanks!

I didn't receive a phone call or an email, I got a packet in the mail which included the acceptance letter. I was really expecting a phone call but never got one!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a phone call letting me know I had been accepted, and then a packet came in the mail just this week.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering if you can please tell me why you chose Pacific? What do you feel is the benefit of a doctorate program? And for those of you who got in, when do you need to place your deposit by? And how much is it? Thank you all so much!!! I am debating between pacific and a two year masters program.

I am wondering if you can please tell me why you chose Pacific? What do you feel is the benefit of a doctorate program? And for those of you who got in, when do you need to place your deposit by? And how much is it? Thank you all so much!!! I am debating between pacific and a two year masters program.

OTtoBe2013,

I am trying to decide between Pacific and EWU's MOT program. I feel like the additional fieldwork opportunities, as well as the leadership/advocacy/policy courses are a benefit to the program. I also really like how there is elective credits in the curriculum. For me personally, I believe I would feel a sense of achievement by completing the OTD program. Although, I am strongly considering EWU because it is a lot cheaper, the first term only has two classes, and I believe I could be just as good of an OT with a Masters. I paid my deposit at Pacific on March 12 and it was due March 18. I truly am torn on the two programs so I can identify with your dilemma.

RuralOt
Thank you for your post. I just can't get over the fact that I could be practicing during that third year instead of paying more money. I can really see myself enjoying Pacific though ... it has so much to offer and it just seems like the right choice. I just wish it was more affordable

Did anyone from Pacific get nice financial aid packages? I am pretty sure Pacific doesn't really do that, but I just thought I would ask.

Last edited:
Has anyone on the waitlist got in yet? Please post if you do! Thanks!!!
Also, has anyone turned down their acceptance?

Last edited:
I would love to know as well! I am in tier 3... But I am praying for a miracle! :xf:

Has anyone on the waitlist got in yet? Please post if you do! Thanks!!!
Also, has anyone turned down their acceptance?

Not an acceptance technically, but I did turn down my Tier 1 waitlist spot last week. Jon-Erik wrote me back the nicest email, wishing me the best of luck with my career in OT. :) Pacific's program seems so awesome! I hope you all are offered spots!

Not an acceptance technically, but I did turn down my Tier 1 waitlist spot last week. Jon-Erik wrote me back the nicest email, wishing me the best of luck with my career in OT. :) Pacific's program seems so awesome! I hope you all are offered spots!

Just wondering if you could share what program you chose and why...Yes, Jon-Erik is so sweet. He definitely made the process a lot easier for me.

Thanks and good luck with everything!

Just wondering if you could share what program you chose and why...Yes, Jon-Erik is so sweet. He definitely made the process a lot easier for me.

Thanks and good luck with everything!

I'm currently deciding between Eastern Washington University (accepted), and UW (in a promising position on the wait list). I loved Pacific's program, but I'd prefer to stay close to friends and family (I live in WA), and pay less in tuition.

Anyone know what the exact tuition is for all 3 years at Pacific? I keep finding conflicting information on their website. On one sight it calculates to around $84,000 and on another it comes out to around $105,000. Anyone know the true total cost of tuition?

Tuition (per academic year) $26,070

Year 1 Summer Tuition $4908.00

Student Fees $691

Books & Supplies $3,400

Laptop Computer, Software & Printer (estimated) $2,200

Where did you see the 105,000? I think some places on the website may be talking about other programs. I also noticed a few possible glitches with other things items on the website. I also dont get why semmer 1 tuition is seperate. Of course, room and board is not included....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw that exact information as well which is where I got my $84,000. But somewhere I found a tuition per credit and it broke down to over $100,000. I was hoping someone would second the $84,000 number :)

Also, that info is slightly confusing. Do they not charge an additional amount for the second summer? And what is the cost for the 3rd year of attendance? The tuition says "per academic year" but I was under the impression the third year is shorter than the first two so how do you calculate the cost for an incomplete academic year?

I saw that exact information as well which is where I got my $84,000. But somewhere I found a tuition per credit and it broke down to over $100,000. I was hoping someone would second the $84,000 number :)

Also, that info is slightly confusing. Do they not charge an additional amount for the second summer? And what is the cost for the 3rd year of attendance? The tuition says "per academic year" but I was under the impression the third year is shorter than the first two so how do you calculate the cost for an incomplete academic year?

When I was at the interview, I remember Jon-Erik saying it was around $98,000. But I think that is all dependent per each person.

Wow. That is definitely NOT what I get from the website. I am getting 89409. There is always a risk that tuition will go up while we are in school. Anyway, I am going to send him an email to ask about this. I understand that it may vary some, but it would be helpful to have more information.

Last edited:
Wow. Seriously? That is definitely NOT what I get from the website! I can not believe the difference. I am going to send him an email to ask about this.

Ya, that would probably be best! I am sure each person is different. Let me know what you hear! :)

I'm currently deciding between Eastern Washington University (accepted), and UW (in a promising position on the wait list). I loved Pacific's program, but I'd prefer to stay close to friends and family (I live in WA), and pay less in tuition.
kgirl0042,
I also came down to deciding between EWU and UW. In the beginning of the application process, EWU was my first choice, but ultimately I ended up choosing UW for a number of reasons. Both programs seemed like they were a good fit for me though!

I just got off the phone with Jon-Erik and he said that the information in regards to tuition is for the masters program. It is indeed above 100,000 and you would factor in a 3% increase each year. You calculate 2-3 years of summer tuition. He was not able to tell me the exact tuition though I think this may be somewhat typical. He also said that only 3 people withdrew thier name from the tier 1 waitlist. Finally, he said that no one will be notified until after 8th.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for an invite! Completely worried about the cost though. It will be well over 100000 just for tuition. I REALLY want to go to pacific but don't want to be in debt for that long.

Last edited:

Hey kgirl,

Have you decided between EWU and UW yet? I have been bouncing back and forth between pacific and EWU and I decided EWU!!!

Hey kgirl,

Have you decided between EWU and UW yet? I have been bouncing back and forth between pacific and EWU and I decided EWU!!!

That's awesome, EWU has such a great program! Honesty I'd love to end up there, but for financial and personal reasons, I'll be choosing UW if they offer me a spot. Mary says I'm now at the top of the waitlist, so I'm hoping for good news! :)

That's awesome, EWU has such a great program! Honesty I'd love to end up there, but for financial and personal reasons, I'll be choosing UW if they offer me a spot. Mary says I'm now at the top of the waitlist, so I'm hoping for good news! :)

Hey kgirl, congrats on your acceptance at EWU! Have you asked Mary how many people were offered admission (if they extended to more than 25 people) and/or how many people are on the alternate candidates list? Thanks!

Hey kgirl, congrats on your acceptance at EWU! Have you asked Mary how many people were offered admission (if they extended to more than 25 people) and/or how many people are on the alternate candidates list? Thanks!

Thank you! I'm not sure how many people were initially offered admission, but originally I was #13 on the waitlist, and this week I was bumped up to #1. Mary said I should be hearing from her next week w/more info.

Thank you! I'm not sure how many people were initially offered admission, but originally I was #13 on the waitlist, and this week I was bumped up to #1. Mary said I should be hearing from her next week w/more info.

Thanks for the reply and the info kgirl! Wow!! That is exciting that you are so close! I think I will call Mary tomorrow and check on my status on the alternate candidate list.

Thanks for the reply and the info kgirl! Wow!! That is exciting that you are so close! I think I will call Mary tomorrow and check on my status on the alternate candidate list.

You're welcome! :) Mary called me yesterday and offered me a spot! I hope you'll be offered one soon!

Has anyone heard from Jon-Erik about wait-list movement?? I emailed him but haven't heard back yet... :xf:

I have been checking my email regularly and haven't heard anything. Did he get back to you?

I recieved a phone call today from John-Erik-I am in!!!!! I am completely shocked and honored.

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

That is wonderful news! Congratulations! Could you please say what tier you were in? I am in tier 2 and desperately want to know where they are at in selections. Thanks and congratulations again!

Thank you. I was in tier 1. Honestly, all I could hear from John-Erick was that I got in...everything else is kinda a blur. However, he did say that at this point they were only welcoming 4-5 additional people. I know that he was out of town yesterday and today. I hope you get in! I am actually not 100% sure if I will go. I am, however, putting a deposit down to reserve my seat. Let me know if you have any other questions---and good luck!

Is anyone else terrified about repaying the program tuition and costs? 150,000+ total for room board tuition and additional fees sounds like I will be forever in debt. Any thoughts? What do you think, based on your research, that starting salary would be in Oregon?

Instead of starting a new thread I hope this will be bumped... Anyone recently apply to Pacific U? It is one of my top choices because I live in Portland and do not want to move away from family. Has anyone received information about interviews or rejections? Anyone from Pacific have pros and cons about the program?

I was hoping someone could help me in answering a question I have. I had recently applied to the OT program online and was wondering if I mail my transcripts and recommendation forms to Pacific University right after I apply. I wasn't sure if I am suppose to wait for further directions and hold off on mailing them out. Thank you!

I was hoping someone could help me in answering a question I have. I had recently applied to the OT program online and was wondering if I mail my transcripts and recommendation forms to Pacific University right after I apply. I wasn't sure if I am suppose to wait for further directions and hold off on mailing them out. Thank you!

Yes, you should mail your transcripts and recommendations as soon as possible once you have submitted your online application. Within a couple days of my online submission in early December, I sent a packet of my unopened transcripts and recommendations. They send an email notifying you of the completion of your entire application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you should mail your transcripts and recommendations as soon as possible once you have submitted your online application. Within a couple days of my online submission in early December, I sent a packet of my unopened transcripts and recommendations. They send an email notifying you of the completion of your entire application.

Thank you for your response OTchick1590!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to Pacific and got notification that they had received everything from me. Did y'all send them updated transcripts from the fall semester? I went ahead and sent a request to my school (already have BBA but taking pre-reqs) to send them and OTCAS my updated grades. Also, when should we start hearing back about interviews? I have only heard back from one school, Belmont (interviewing in March); but I read that most schools don't begin scheduling interviews until Jan/Feb.

Responding to ollie's question then answers that yes! I applied to Pacific University. I know it's an extra year, and I have worked with OTs who disagree with OTD programs (as some still have Bachelor's and honestly, that is quite enough), but Pacific sounds like a great program! It is in collaboration with several of Pacific's graduate healthcare programs, a
I applied to Pacific and got notification that they had received everything from me. Did y'all send them updated transcripts from the fall semester? I went ahead and sent a request to my school (already have BBA but taking pre-reqs) to send them and OTCAS my updated grades. Also, when should we start hearing back about interviews? I have only heard back from one school, Belmont (interviewing in March); but I read that most schools don't begin scheduling interviews until Jan/Feb.

I had to email Jon-Erik whether or not my updated fall transcripts were received appropriately (even though I hand-delivered them to the front desk). Never hurts to make sure they did get there!

Looking at older posts in this thread, seems like people interviewed at the beginning of February. We could hear back any time soon.

I received an email that all info was received. Jon said that the first interviews are Feb and if you get selected for those than your letter will come mid-January. If you are selected for the round 2/ March interviews- then you receive a letter in Feb. I need to send my updated transcripts- it didn't cross my mind.
The OT's I have worked with seemed like OTD was smart because that is the way the field is going. One recent Wash Uni St. Louis graduated said she went back bc many programs will be turning over soon. It seems like the progression bc it used to be only a Bach and there are a few PT and OT I worked with that only had a BS.
Good Luck everyone!!!

Yep! There's a Feb. 8th and a Mar. 8th interview. Invites are to come a few weeks before each interview date. Jon-Erik said that those invited to the Feb. 8th interview may be receiving invitations early next week!

I was thinking about next tuesday/ 21, for the feb 8th interviews. That is the pattern of the last year. fingers crossed.

Last edited:
They send out the first round emails yesterday. I didn't get into that. :( Does anyone know if they put there first choice applicants in the first interview round or do they just assign dates depending on when they review the application. ? . I am not holding my breath. Seems like a hard year. On to my next choice. :)

Do you think there may have been a difference between sending them before the priority date of December 5th, that may determine which interview date someone gets? I submitted mine online on December 7th...

Do you think there may have been a difference between sending them before the priority date of December 5th, that may determine which interview date someone gets? I submitted mine online on December 7th...

I hope that's not the case because I submitted my stuff in mid-November. Maybe they went through applications in the order they were received, though? I am still holding out hope. Pacific is one of my top choices.

@OTchick1590 @FutureOT11 - did either of you get an email for the interview? I send mine before the Dec 5th deadline. I know I am overreacting, I know a few people and read a few on here that went to the first interview and they were wait listed. I am hoping that it has to do with not getting to my application yet. Pacific is my top.

No interview e-mail yet, but I'm hopeful that I will be asked to be there in March. It's my top, too. Fingers crossed and lots of prayers. We have all put forth our best efforts in these applications. Hopefully, the right schools will want us back.

No interview email yet either, and I am hoping for an interview in March at least. Pacific and UPS are one of my top choices. It's my second year applying, but first time applying to these schools.

Those are my top two as well. Family close. I feel a lot better that we all turned in our applications early and did not get an email. That opens more options in my head. I was thinking that the early applicants would get the Feb interview slots and if I didn't hear back then it meant rejection. So my hopes are back up and fingers crossed and positive thoughts. Thank you.

@OTchick1590 @FutureOT11 - did either of you get an email for the interview? I send mine before the Dec 5th deadline. I know I am overreacting, I know a few people and read a few on here that went to the first interview and they were wait listed. I am hoping that it has to do with not getting to my application yet. Pacific is my top.

I also submitted my application early and did not get an invite for the February interview. I was hoping to get it done and over with, all of this waiting makes me anxious!

Thank goodness I've got you guys to converse about this... hopeful that we all get that interview in March! :)

Hello everyone!

Holy crap am I happy I found this forum...

Does anyone know about how many students are interviewed total?
I'm going to the Feb 8 interview and got my email on Jan 21
Also, any new information on if there is any meaning behind getting a February interview vs. a March one?