Paddlers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountainER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduating resident with a random non-medical question, love whitewater kayaking, looking for good job spots with paddling in the area. Curious if any attendings enjoys similar hobbies and have a good set up somewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of job are you looking for & what part of the country? There are a couple hospital-employed groups in Montana that might work. There are groups that have opened up in Colorado with the rise of the FSED etc. There are several groups, including academic and democratic and massive "democratic", in the western Carolinas that are near world-class whitewater. Obviously there is a world of difference between those locations.

I predict you will get better answers with more criteria. What states/region do you want to target? Do go through the ACEP report card for at least malpractice risk and Barb Katz's salary review/job availability.

Southeast preferably, have started looking in SC, NC, TN, GA. Would not be completely opposed to moving west but would have to be a great set up. Was actually looking at an offer from Montana recently, but pretty shady and poor reimbursement. Didn't realize Co was opening up, will have to investigate that more. It seems that most of the Carolinas are getting pulled into the teamhealth/EMcare groups which I'm not 100% against joining but just would like to see if other options are out there in those areas. I would like to be in a place with a decent yearly census for my first job to ensure that I cement the skills developed in residency. Unfortunately a lot of the places near good watersheds are so rural they only see a handful per shift.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're in the right area. Whitewater paddling can be surprisingly good in the SE. Long season too.

Remember there is a big difference between being less than 30 minutes from your favorite activity and 2 hours from your favorite activity. 30 minutes and you can do it on a day you have a shift. 2 hours and you can't. Skiers who chose Denver over Salt Lake have realized this.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an avid climber, mtn biker and trail runner in this region. Systems are consolidating just like everywhere else. Feel free to PM me. I can speak to the southern Appalachia region generally.

Longtime paddler here. Without a doubt, the southeast has the best year-round paddling in the country, aside from maybe the PNW. Im not sure what good watersheds in rural areas you are talking about but Chattanooga, Asheville, and Knoxville are surrounded by the best boating in the southeast. Most jobs around here are CMG, that's just how it is. I would not move anywhere out west to paddle aside from maybe the Portland or Seattle area. You're welcome to PM me.

Southeast preferably, have started looking in SC, NC, TN, GA. Would not be completely opposed to moving west but would have to be a great set up. Was actually looking at an offer from Montana recently, but pretty shady and poor reimbursement. Didn't realize Co was opening up, will have to investigate that more. It seems that most of the Carolinas are getting pulled into the teamhealth/EMcare groups which I'm not 100% against joining but just would like to see if other options are out there in those areas. I would like to be in a place with a decent yearly census for my first job to ensure that I cement the skills developed in residency. Unfortunately a lot of the places near good watersheds are so rural they only see a handful per shift.
Look at Sandhills group for location etc if you want SDG. EMP has at least one site out there - near Linville maybe?